A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Do I own a POS or a diamond?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I own a POS or a diamond?

I have a 2015 A4 Quattro. It only has 27k miles on it. It has been trouble free from day one. I've had it under Audi Care the whole time, but that runs out in a month. Should I pay an incredible fee and renew it? Watching Scotty Kilmer (auto mechanic for 50 years) I find his opinions pretty right on, but not always correct in my opinion. He just did a video that named the 5 worst "money pits", and the A4 was on the list. Now this was right after reading that Consumer Reports named Audi as the most reliable car brand. Who should I beleive? At 50k I realize there could be intake valve corruption because of direct fuel injection. Can I keep this car for another 100K or should I sell it while it is in great shape?
Old 10-10-2019, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

What does POS mean ?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Piece of ___t
Old 10-10-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

A word of advice, you purchased one of the finest automobiles in the world, an Audi A4.
Take care of your car, and it will do just fine for many years.

The many forums out there always dwell on the negative, 95% of owners have no issues and really enjoy their
vehicle, are what you need to consider.

So, just enjoy your car.
The following users liked this post:
Greyghost15 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,629 Posts

I watch his vids from time to time on youtube, and he has some interesting insights, and some errant opinions, in my opinion. He usually just rants too much, and reminds me of people that feel if you can't be happy fixing it with just duct tape, you shouldn't want it anyway. :-)

Any specific example of any car model can be great or suck. If you said you had a 2009 or 2010, then he might have more grounds for his claim. But a 2015? It's no better or worse than any other 2015 from anyone anywhere.
You have 27k on yours. I have 195k on mine, which is an 09. But you shouldn't need a new turbo, new pistons, new tensioners/chains, etc.

What is Audi Care cover? Is it a bumper to bumper warranty extension? Or just scheduled service? Except for tire/wheel related work since I don't own a balancing or alignment machine, I've done all the service and repair on mine for the past 90k miles.
And what is "incredible"? That's a relative term. What's the actual cost and what do you actually get for that? Is it a warranty extension to 100k like CPO? At your 5k/yr rate, you'll never get to any mileage of concern. It'll all be age related.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Greyghost15
I have a 2015 A4 Quattro. It only has 27k miles on it. It has been trouble free from day one. I've had it under Audi Care the whole time, but that runs out in a month. Should I pay an incredible fee and renew it? Watching Scotty Kilmer (auto mechanic for 50 years) I find his opinions pretty right on, but not always correct in my opinion. He just did a video that named the 5 worst "money pits", and the A4 was on the list. Now this was right after reading that Consumer Reports named Audi as the most reliable car brand. Who should I beleive? At 50k I realize there could be intake valve corruption because of direct fuel injection. Can I keep this car for another 100K or should I sell it while it is in great shape?
I have a '15 A4 Quattro just shy of 92,000 miles with **knock on wood** no major issues. Just those few recalls from the aux heater and the coolant pump. Obviously preventative maintenance is key to fewer issues as the vehicle ages... If u want it to last, change the oil every ~5k miles, and change (not flush) the transmission fluid at like 50k miles. Audi claims its "lifetime" fluid but ZF who makes the trans says its not Theres a few posts about this just search for it. I didnt buy Audi care but if u want that peace of mind or whatever thats up to u. but as I said, preventative maintenance goes a long way. As for scottys video, I saw it yesterday and I was thinking literally the same thing u said lol. He's very knowledgeable for the most part but I feel like he's just over generalizing and assuming cuz of the reputation of German cars (money pit, don't last etc) and to further his point that Toyota is most reliable blah blah... It depends on way more than just the brand of vehicle to determine reliability, if u maintain the car correctly and don't beat the crap out of it it will be far more reliable
Old 10-10-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't have an A4, I have an A6, Boxster S, and a 2016 Golf 1.8T (found in the A3 from 2015 as well). Aside from the Boxster, the Golf and A6 have been trouble-free. The golf has never had a repair, albeit a few electrical wonky happenings, but still works as well as it did on day 1. The A6 is everyone's favorite car for the MPG, smoothness, and feel. My past A6 was absolutely the best car owned in reliability (until the Golf went past it in miles). This is to say in my company we have had GM half-tons for decades and they have had their fair share of problems!

I too, watch his videos and while I agree with some points, I think as part of being a car enthusiast expensive and unreliable cars are part of the journey. After all, it is a hobby for myself as I'm sure it is for many others here and I don't strictly mind the repair costs, but do have to say, VW/Audis of today are much more reliable in general than they were 20 years ago.
The following users liked this post:
Greyghost15 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
I watch his vids from time to time on youtube, and he has some interesting insights, and some errant opinions, in my opinion. He usually just rants too much, and reminds me of people that feel if you can't be happy fixing it with just duct tape, you shouldn't want it anyway. :-)

Any specific example of any car model can be great or suck. If you said you had a 2009 or 2010, then he might have more grounds for his claim. But a 2015? It's no better or worse than any other 2015 from anyone anywhere.
You have 27k on yours. I have 195k on mine, which is an 09. But you shouldn't need a new turbo, new pistons, new tensioners/chains, etc.

What is Audi Care cover? Is it a bumper to bumper warranty extension? Or just scheduled service? Except for tire/wheel related work since I don't own a balancing or alignment machine, I've done all the service and repair on mine for the past 90k miles.
And what is "incredible"? That's a relative term. What's the actual cost and what do you actually get for that? Is it a warranty extension to 100k like CPO? At your 5k/yr rate, you'll never get to any mileage of concern. It'll all be age related.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. Yea it is a bumper to bumper warranty. I haven't heard the price and terms for the renewal yet.