A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Did I get a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get a good deal?

2010 A4 Premium Plus with Sports Package, Ibis White, Manual, for $38,400 everything included (tax, DMV,Documentation, Audi Care etc.)
Old 12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NJDeVsFaN
2010 A4 Premium Plus with Sports Package, Ibis White, Manual, for $38,400 everything included (tax, DMV,Documentation, Audi Care etc.)
Go to ZAG.com, plug in your zip, options, and see what number comes out...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We don't all know your tax rate and registration fees. It's better to state the sale price. Edmunds.com can tell you if you got a good deal or not. Considering how light inventory is from what I've seen. Any discount is good. My lot looks like it did at the end of the model year! We have ZERO Q7s in stock and as for A4s...mostly premium cars. Nothing special. Which seems to be what everyone is after, unique cars.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Better to ask this question before the deal, not after. =) What was the invoice? How much over invoice did you buy it for? That is how to buy a vehicle.
Enjoy the new ride, sounds like a beauty!

P.S. My local dealer has a large selection of all A4 models- no shortage here in L.A.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well according to zag.com, I got the car at 713 under invoice.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJDeVsFaN
Well according to zag.com, I got the car at 713 under invoice.
If the dealer can make money selling you the car for $2,600 under invoice, you paid him $ 1,887 additional dollars. Did you receive nearly 2K worth of services for your money? Probably not. You bought a car that depreciates a few thousand dollars as you drive home from the dealer.

I cannot understand why people fall prey to the uncompetitive nature of geographic territories and buy a car from the nearest dealer. There are nearly 300 dealers in the US that all sell the same car. You cannot get anything special on a car bought in NJ or Nevada. There is always going to be a dealer that needs to trade dollars today on a unit to meet a sales goal, or generate cash to meet payroll.

If you cannot find the deal you want locally, use your fax machine to blast all dealers to find what you want and encourage offers. Learn the art of the deal, and bypass the salesmen and deal directly with decision makers.

With a paucity of inventory at many dealers, consider European Delivery. You save money, and get exactly the car of your dreams. Delivery at the factory is certainly more exciting than anything the dealer can offer. Did I mention that the Autobahn near the factory gate has no speed limit?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
If the dealer can make money selling you the car for $2,600 under invoice, you paid him $ 1,887 additional dollars. Did you receive nearly 2K worth of services for your money? Probably not. You bought a car that depreciates a few thousand dollars as you drive home from the dealer.

I cannot understand why people fall prey to the uncompetitive nature of geographic territories and buy a car from the nearest dealer. There are nearly 300 dealers in the US that all sell the same car. You cannot get anything special on a car bought in NJ or Nevada. There is always going to be a dealer that needs to trade dollars today on a unit to meet a sales goal, or generate cash to meet payroll.

If you cannot find the deal you want locally, use your fax machine to blast all dealers to find what you want and encourage offers. Learn the art of the deal, and bypass the salesmen and deal directly with decision makers.

?
First of all -- $700 UNDER the invoice is an AWESOME deal.
Second, the dealer must and always WILL make money on every deal, and they SHOULD.
Some of us simply have no time to dial up to 300 dealers and negotiate over a $1000...
Next, if I read correct, you are suggesting that I may find extra $1500 break from a dealer in Nevada, then pay $1500 for shipping to my location, or put 2500 miles on the car, use my vacation, etc to bring it over???

To the OP, you got a great deal, enjoy your car !!!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviela
If the dealer can make money selling you the car for $2,600 under invoice, you paid him $ 1,887 additional dollars. Did you receive nearly 2K worth of services for your money? Probably not.
Do you mean $2,600 under sticker (MSRP) or $2,600 under dealer's invoice ("invoice")? Dealer's invoice price is 6-7% less than MSRP.

I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a new B8 for $2,600 under invoice.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Two thoughts.......

My first thought is:

You're asking the wrong crowd. While there are many knowledgeable folks here, there will always be a few folks who will say that you could have done significantly better.

You could say that you paid one short, curly hair for your car and there will always be one guy here who would say that he only paid half a short, curly hair for his and that you got jobbed.

My second thought is:

You've already purchased the car. Were you happy with the car and the deal you negotiated when you bought it? If so, enjoy your car and don't worry about it. Asking if other people think you got a good deal on a car you already purchased is just asking for the opportunity to no longer feel good about your purchase.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AvantB8
...Next, if I read correct, you are suggesting that I may find extra $1500 break from a dealer in Nevada, then pay $1500 for shipping to my location, or put 2500 miles on the car, use my vacation, etc to bring it over???

To the OP, you got a great deal, enjoy your car !!!
You did not read correctly. I used alliteration to point out that the car is the same from every dealer. It really does not matter who hands you the ignition device.

$700 under invoice is an acceptable deal if you received services that are worth what you put in the dealers pocket. Dealers do not need to make a profit on every unit. Some will sell units at cost or below just to meet quotas which puts them in position to make incentive profits, or receive allocation of rare models that sell for a premium. When I play 21, I expect to lose a small perchantage on each hand of even money bets. I take my profit with Blackjacks which pay 1.5 to one.

The dealer does not need to make much money on each sale. He is putting a vehicle in the community, and that will put cars in the work shop. The shop is the real profit center of any dealer.

You can use software to fax all dealers, it does not take much time, so there is no excuse here.

Very few people earn enough per unit of time to not make it worth their while to take a road trip to collect a car. If you are worried about putting miles on the car, you are probably leasing and most leases are taken by people who want to drive more car than they can truly afford.

Quick Reply: Did I get a good deal?