A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dead battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by drgertol
See my earlier post about "Valet" mode: this affects ALL rear lid lock controls, including the button in the driver door. If "Valet" mode is enabled with the button in the glovebox, it must be disabled before trying to open the rear lid with any of the usual means. But look under the rear seat; cars WITHOUT rear folding seat backs should have a cord for acuating the rear lid lock manually. --g
ahhh that would explain why i didn't see it .. makes sense that if you have folding down rear seats they would ant to spend 14 cents on a chord.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is ridiculous. I'd open the trunk in 10 seconds with a proper external battery!
Old 04-25-2024, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys, unfortunately, I do not have a valet button, any other ideas
Old 04-25-2024, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well if the rear seats dont fold down on your sedan , you are left with the suggestion of removing the rear seat, its not difficult, but you will have to replace the plastic hold down clips.
But i do think there is something else going on .. you need to get that fob out too as we don't know what that is doing. There are fixes for that , but i would be jiggling like crazy to get that SOB out.

Just a theory but i think the car is smarter than we think , it may sense .. 'something isn't right" .. i would not be surprised if the immobilizer has been triggered or some other security alert and Audi has programmed the car to not allow access to the trunk if it thinks it has been broken into .

I'm not saying that is the case, but nothing surprises me anymore with these cars.

Last edited by Airbag; 04-25-2024 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i don't imagine you have VCDS . I was wondering if the trunk actuator can be fired through that ?? i don't remember an output test for rear trunk latch , but that would be cool ..

i am trying to think other out of the box things that wont allow trunk to pop ,, i don't think it will if it thinks the car is in drive or reverse or something like that , or if the e brake isn't on... there are just some very odd things about this car that i have not seen on any other. .
Old 04-25-2024, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The instructions for the vehicle say that there is a small rope below the backseat so maybe this is what I need to do.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by antoanhri23
The instructions for the vehicle say that there is a small rope below the backseat so maybe this is what I need to do.
yup as dr ger pointed out the other day . if you know which side it is just pull up on that side, you might not break off BOTH clips to get to the cable.

Plus we don't even know if getting to the battery will solve your issue .. but that will be part 2.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think its the battery since the car has been in perfect condition since I bought it, no engine check, nothing, it has been doing perfect since I left it for a month. will see what it will happen and I will keep you posted, I really appreciate your help!
Old 04-25-2024, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by antoanhri23
I think its the battery since the car has been in perfect condition since I bought it, no engine check, nothing, it has been doing perfect since I left it for a month. will see what it will happen and I will keep you posted, I really appreciate your help!
no worries, just keep at it , you will get there..

i hope you did take the advice of putting a battery charger on it overnight though , nothing to lose really. is the car inside or outside ?
Old 04-25-2024, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 329 Likes on 252 Posts

You did not specify the model year for your car which is always useful.

In your first post you said
With the jump cables, I waited up to 30 minutes and the results were only that a few lights were starting, like the stop when I press the breaks and the multimedia for a couple of seconds and long lights also.
I assume you are jump starting using the jump terminals in the front of the car? If so, are you trying to use a battery charger as the jump start means or are you using a second car with a running engine as the source? Your one month without operation on what is presumably a battery that is a few years old likely means that the battery is beyond recovery. On a battery that is beyond recovery, you can leave the charger on it for a week and the battery will not accept any charge.

Based upon your description of what is happening with the lights, I expect that you are attempting all of this with a smaller battery charger. A plain battery charger will certainly not be able to start the engine and a small one may not have enough current capability to operate the trunk release mechanism. In order to attempt to start the engine you would need what is called a jump pack (bigger is better) or arrange for a second car with a running engine to act as the starting source. A large capacity jump pack or a second car should drag your car up to the operating voltage of the source and allow it to start or at the very least open up the trunk. If I knew that this was just a case of a dead / open circuit battery I would say either method would be OK; however, since there might be other problem at play with your car I suggest trying the jump pack. Good jump packs generally have protection in them which deals with dead shorts or polarity reversals. If you use a running car as the jump source and you have a short circuit some place you are going to be in for a very nasty surprise when you connect the jump cables.

Quick Reply: Dead battery problem