A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Crappy Cupholders - Really!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got 2 different sized cup holders in the center console plus a holder in each door that fits a cup or a bottle. The rear center console also has 2 slots. That's 8 beverage holders in a car. If you need more, perhaps some offering from Toyota, Lexus or Buick would be a better choice. Audi strikes a balance between comfort and performance and personally I like it this way.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dk1
You've got 2 different sized cup holders in the center console plus a holder in each door that fits a cup or a bottle. The rear center console also has 2 slots. That's 8 beverage holders in a car. If you need more, perhaps some offering from Toyota, Lexus or Buick would be a better choice. Audi strikes a balance between comfort and performance and personally I like it this way.
I want the ability to have 2 cups of coffee- one for me and one for my passenger. I cannot fit a to go cup in the red bull sized holder - and certainly cannot fit one in the door holder without serious risk of spilling.

We all knew this when we purchased our cars- so no huge deal, but one cannot say Audi did a great job on this score. There is a huge difference between wanting 47 cup holders and a tray to eat snacks from and wanting 2 usable places to store hot drinks on long trips or when one runs out to pickup.

All in good fun
Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One thing that BMW might do a better job of. My buddy has an '08 335i...I like their retractable cupholder. Don't see why Audi couldn't have done something similar.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My older Allroad had retractable cup holders front and rear, they were the best. Sturdy and can hold up to a 20oz cups.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDennison27
One thing that BMW might do a better job of. My buddy has an '08 335i...I like their retractable cupholder. Don't see why Audi couldn't have done something similar.
One of the (minor) reasons I bought the Audi was the flimsy retractable cupholders in the BMW. The pop-up holders in my MB were better than both.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dk1
By my count that's 6 beverage holders in the car....sorry, had to point that out Dk.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Crucible35
By my count that's 6 beverage holders in the car....sorry, had to point that out Dk.
Nope, its eight (4 doors, 4 cupholders).
Gee, I hope you're not a tax accountant
Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

What I like about the German built A4 is that it pretty well takes the car straight from the Autobahn and transports it to the U.S. I cannot stand the fact that VW is startng to trend towards building cars for Americans, (Jetta, Passat)that caters to our bloated, bland point A to point B driving styles. The Germans / Europeans treat cupholders as after thoughts and I hope Audi does not start building A4s for Americans. Just sayin...
Old 11-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
One of the (minor) reasons I bought the Audi was the flimsy retractable cupholders in the BMW. The pop-up holders in my MB were better than both.
Hmmm...I didn't think they were too flimsy. They seemed to fit my 32oz sodas just fine, and you can just stash them away when you don't need them. It's not nearly as big of a deal as it was for me and my old B7, where you had to fold back the container just to access it...jostling around all of the junk you put in it. Since Audi added the cool water bottle storage I can live with a less-than-ideal middle cupholder. But really...it's such a minor issue. I would never choose a car over cupholders...I'm not a
Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gary135r
What I like about the German built A4 is that it pretty well takes the car straight from the Autobahn and transports it to the U.S. I cannot stand the fact that VW is startng to trend towards building cars for Americans, (Jetta, Passat)that caters to our bloated, bland point A to point B driving styles. The Germans / Europeans treat cupholders as after thoughts and I hope Audi does not start building A4s for Americans. Just sayin...
Never had a car with cup holders before I moved from Europe to the US, but what's more important to me is that I never had such powerful engines back there. That didn't stop me from pushing my 90hp B4 to 125mph occasionally.

BTW, they say the US-built Passat has great handling and it looks much better in person. There was an article at Yahoo the other day about crowning it with the "car of the year" award for its segment. It was motortrend if I'm not wrong...

Quick Reply: Crappy Cupholders - Really!