A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Crappy Cupholders - Really!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy Cupholders - Really!

Unless I'm missing something why does Audi only install 1 cupholder/coffee holder of actual "real" use for driver and passenger. You have the main cupholder in the center console area at the front which can fit a regular coffee or a cup of any size from Starbucks for instance BUT the one behind it can barely fit anything resembling a coffee/can of coke etc....its a waste of space. Allit's good for is a can of red bull and my wife isn't drinking those unless she wants to do an all nighter in the car - doubt it! If my passenger and I both have a drink of sorts he has to hold his in his hands/lap which is a complete pain. Also why install them one behind the other. Surely they could have come up with a better design. Either install both of equal size that can hold something worth holding or split them up by keeping the drivers cupholder in the center and the passenger somewhere else - above the glove box, to the side in the passenger door, below and to the side of passenger feet next to center console - somewhere that if you have a spill it doesnt wreck the electronics in the center console.

Passengers in the back are taken care of and they have done a good job there.

Please tell me I'm missing something here?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. You're right on the money.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

The rear cupholder CAN accommodate a standard soda can or 16 oz coffee cup. I do it all the time with no problem.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by precinder2
The rear cupholder CAN accommodate a standard soda can or 16 oz coffee cup. I do it all the time with no problem.
That is true but extra care is required to fit a cardboard coffee cup in the rear receptacle without spilling or crushing. Perhaps it will be easier as the car ages and the spring grip relaxes but, for now, it is an annoyance.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Never had any sympathy for people who would drink or eat in their cars.
Can't keep a cup level with my driving
Cup holders != sports car. Get a Buick!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Never had any sympathy for people who would drink or eat in their cars.
Can't keep a cup level with my driving
If you cannot keep a cup level on a straight, flat local road, you should not be driving anything.

OTOH, my car gets me from A to B, sometimes with brio and sometimes with other contents.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with the OP... Went on a coffee run this week- one for me and one for a buddy.. I had to stash the second coffee in the usable holder and just hold onto mine - not the best arrangement. My rear seat holders are blocked by the carseat. Seems like it would be an easy design fix.

It's my only complaint so far on a fabulous car-
Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Although i dont like the idea of drinks being consumed in my car I'm not going to tell my wife she can't do that on a 1,3,5 or 10 hour trip. I for one prefer to be somewhat hydrated driving (excl booze!) and would rather dictate what i do and dont do in my car rather than stupid design decisions.

I'm not going to reach behind me either to store a coffee or expect my passenger to do so. In any of the circumstances if they spill anythying they just have to hitch a ride back to their destination...irrespective of how slow or hard i drive the car ...might be hard dropping the wife off on the side of the road but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Bottom line...Audi should know better!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree on that dang 2nd cupholder. Each door does have one, but they're more bottle holders than cup holders, since they're not level.

Quick Reply: Crappy Cupholders - Really!