A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Competition just got tougher:2010 Acura TSX 280-hp V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Competition just got tougher: 2010 Acura TSX 280-hp V6

They shoehorned the 3.5 liter V6 from the TL into the TSX. It's only offered with an automatic transmission and in FWD configuration. I guess they have to reserve AWD for the TL SH-AWD. There is no reason to even offer the uglier TL if the TSX gets the V6 engine. The driving dynamics of this car aren't up to the German standards of Audi and BMW but it provides better value than a 328i or A4 2.0T Premium+ or Prestige. I'm not a fan of the new Acura corporate nose, but the styling of the TSX is a lot more palatable than the slab-sided new TL.

BTW, why does Acura still offer 5-speed automatics when others are going with 6 or 7 gears?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

Last edited by Bada Bing; 06-18-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH. This is what I've been wishing for at least 4 years since the original TSX came out. Am I the only one who thinks the TL is actually very nice looking - very aggressive. The TSX would definitely play strongly into my options were it available during my selection time.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
They shoehorned the 3.5 liter V6 from the TL into the TSX. It's only offered with an automatic transmission and in FWD configuration. I guess they have to reserve AWD for the TL SH-AWD. There is no reason to even offer the uglier TL if the TSX gets the V6 engine. The driving dynamics of this car aren't up to the German standards of Audi and BMW but it provides better value than a 328i or A4 2.0T Premium+ or Prestige. I'm not a fan of the new Acura corporate nose, but the styling of the TSX is a lot more palatable than the slab-sided new TL.

BTW, why does Acura still offer 5-speed automatics when others are going with 6 or 7 gears?

I've been in plenty of Acuras and Lexus (Lexii?) and as nice as they are in many ways, I never can seem to shake this feeling that I'm driving a dollied up Honda or Toyota. Everywhere I look and drive them I see glimpses into their Honda/Toyota roots. Annoys me for some reason since this is supposed to be a premium car.

As an example, my dad has a 2002 Infiniti QX4 (fantastic suv btw, he loves it and it's still going strong) but the damm engine doesn't even say Infiniti it says Nissan proudly on all the parts I've found.

I don't usually care about branding but if you're getting an Acura I'd expect Acura parts throughout not rehased Honda parts. Isn't the TSX based on the Japanese Honda Accord btw?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan1524
OH. This is what I've been wishing for at least 4 years since the original TSX came out. Am I the only one who thinks the TL is actually very nice looking - very aggressive. The TSX would definitely play strongly into my options were it available during my selection time.
Put me in the camp that thinks the TL looks horrible. The TSX is somewhat better and it doesn't have the awful rear end of the TL. It does still have that god-awful front though.

I actually work for Honda/Acura. I could purchase an Acura at a pretty nice discount if I was so inclined. Nonetheless, I am picking up my new A5 tomorrow. The style and design, both exterior and interior, is just so much more to my taste.

The parking lot is full of TLs where I work, since that is the company car issued to many Acura employees. I was hoping the design would grow on me in the past year, but instead it has grown worse in my eyes. My Audi will be one of a very few non-Honda/Acura cars in the lot.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't care less. These cars are a little less fun then watching water boil but with less character than a kettle. My Braun is quite nice actually...
Old 06-18-2009, 12:20 PM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Put me in the camp that thinks the TL looks horrible. The TSX is somewhat better and it doesn't have the awful rear end of the TL. It does still have that god-awful front though.
My thoughts exactly. TSX used to be a very nice looking car. Now it got butchered. Not as terrible as TL but still I wouldn't consider buying or recommending it to anybody.

280 HP in a FWD is just stupid. If you floor it the traction control will just kick in reducing the power to the wheels. It is purely for marketing and ego inflation purposes.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

My wife's probably purchasing an '09 TSX sometime this month. I just drove it yesterday and the car's alot of fun. I can see why people were begging for a v6 but I found the four banger to be alot of fun to drive and places the car in a nice hole below the german competitors (MSRP sub 30k without Nav). She's more practical than I am. I thing the V6 makes the TL a bit redundant especially with it's awful styling. I did see that you can get that huge metal piece on the front in body color. That's the only way it's palatable at all. I kind of like the TSX styling if you get black or dark gray body color.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tougher is rarely prettier! And this is not. The previous gen TL and TSX were so much nicer. The old TSX was maybe a little bland, but certainly a lot nicer than this. Sorry - I am not TRYING to be a hater, I just cannot figure out what those guys are thinking over there.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Doesn't bother you that every part inside our car has VW all over it?

TSX is based off the Euro Accord. I really liked the old TSX, but the new design is hideous. Whole Acura line-up has gone in the crapper. Whoever is responsible for deciding to put a silver beak on every vehicle should commit seppuku.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing

Like how Audi lacked in navigations systems, Acura cheaps out with transmissions. Acura has always been a "flighty" company in my opinion, with one hit here and a total failure there. Or discontinuing some of their best selling cars or nameplates. Or not redesigning cars that have been out longer than average. Or promising a V8 for ten years and never delivering. Flakey. The latest RL was a huge failure and mistake making it smaller and more expensive. And then the new TL came along and replaced the Pontiac Aztek. Someone running corporate is out of touch, but I digress.

Back to the V6 TSX. I agree, it's a great value and the styling of the new ugly Acuras isn't so offending on the TSX. But all this power sent to the front wheels is a total waste when you can't use it. Punch it making a left hand turn and the engine has to cut half the power to keep the wheels from spinning. You can't deny physiques. And you won't be able to use all that power. Acura needs RWD to really compete.

Quick Reply: Competition just got tougher:2010 Acura TSX 280-hp V6