A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Which Color?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, has anyone seen the Silver Cuvee Metallic in person? Does it have a gold-ish tone to it?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TerryM2442
I did see the scuba blue but it just doesn't grab me. Ugh, I hate this.
I guess you got to see it in person... but I go for the different factor about the scuba blue or volcano red
Old 09-09-2013, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell me, if you don't mind, why you like monsoon over gray? This is driving me crazy.
This is all very subjective. First of all, half the cars out there are silver so it's a very boring color. Second, unless your car is extremely dirty washing a silver car does not 'improve' the looks much, it still looks the same after washing. On the other hand, if you wash and polish your monsoon gray you it will really stand out from the crowd. It just has that shine you can never get out of a silver car.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dynasty0002
I guess you got to see it in person... but I go for the different factor about the scuba blue or volcano red
I like the scuba blue as a color, but I don't like it in combination with the other colors of the grille, fog light surrounds, rear valance, tail lights, tires. The tail lights are quite a bright read and that on the blue background looks a bit like in a toy.
My theory about the colors is this. Apart from the body color, there will always be the other colors - tires (black), rims (silver or black), tail lights (red), head lights (some chrome, LED white), fog light surrounds (black), grille (black or satin black), rear valance (black or titanium), window trim (aluminum), B-pillar trim (piano black), mirror trim (black). In my opinion, the overall combination will be best if the body color is close to some of those colors without losing the accent effect or the opposite from the same scale. If the body color is of a totally different scale (e.g. blue, green, yellow, brown) you will be in for a Tonka truck look.
This means to me it either needs to be red to match the tail lights or a color from the grey scale (black to white) to match or oppose the rest. The problem with the black and other dark colors is that they lose the accent effect of the other black and dark pieces I listed above. The worst combination to me is a black car with black rims and a black window trim. It doesn't photo well - it would look like a black spot on the brochure - and you won't see that combo there. Silver photos very well and is very popular in the advertising materials. Black rims go well with light colors - white, silver. I can go on a limb and also add a red body color for black rims since red and black are seen as opposing colors.

In the ice silver, quartz grey, and monza silver cases (colors from previous years) the rims, the window trim, and the chrome headlight and grille accents are more subtle as opposed to the black body color where they are most contrast. The black plastic and the tires provide a good contrast to the light grey colors.

Going for a unique color such as scuba blue seems very tempting, but to me it has the highest chance of disappointing you later - aluminum and chrome trims and silver wheels are accents not subtle at all. It also doesn't go with or oppose well the black bits and pieces. If all black and silver/chrome accents were piano-black, I can see that as an OK combination for such a blue color.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gunsmoker, thanks for your detailed response. It all makes sense and at this point, I'm leaning towards the silver. I do wish they'd come up with other options, like silvery shades of blues or grey with green or blue tints. So, this will have to do.

Thanks all for your helpful responses!

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
I like the scuba blue as a color, but I don't like it in combination with the other colors of the grille, fog light surrounds, rear valance, tail lights, tires. The tail lights are quite a bright read and that on the blue background looks a bit like in a toy.
My theory about the colors is this. Apart from the body color, there will always be the other colors - tires (black), rims (silver or black), tail lights (red), head lights (some chrome, LED white), fog light surrounds (black), grille (black or satin black), rear valance (black or titanium), window trim (aluminum), B-pillar trim (piano black), mirror trim (black). In my opinion, the overall combination will be best if the body color is close to some of those colors without losing the accent effect or the opposite from the same scale. If the body color is of a totally different scale (e.g. blue, green, yellow, brown) you will be in for a Tonka truck look.
This means to me it either needs to be red to match the tail lights or a color from the grey scale (black to white) to match or oppose the rest. The problem with the black and other dark colors is that they lose the accent effect of the other black and dark pieces I listed above. The worst combination to me is a black car with black rims and a black window trim. It doesn't photo well - it would look like a black spot on the brochure - and you won't see that combo there. Silver photos very well and is very popular in the advertising materials. Black rims go well with light colors - white, silver. I can go on a limb and also add a red body color for black rims since red and black are seen as opposing colors.

In the ice silver, quartz grey, and monza silver cases (colors from previous years) the rims, the window trim, and the chrome headlight and grille accents are more subtle as opposed to the black body color where they are most contrast. The black plastic and the tires provide a good contrast to the light grey colors.

Going for a unique color such as scuba blue seems very tempting, but to me it has the highest chance of disappointing you later - aluminum and chrome trims and silver wheels are accents not subtle at all. It also doesn't go with or oppose well the black bits and pieces. If all black and silver/chrome accents were piano-black, I can see that as an OK combination for such a blue color.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gunsmoker, thanks for your detailed response. It all makes sense and at this point, I'm leaning towards the silver. I do wish they'd come up with other options, like silvery shades of blues or grey with green or blue tints. So, this will have to do.

Thanks all for your helpful responses!
Mercedes has a black pearl with a light bluish tint - I love that. Not sure what year that was.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Years ago, I found an Audi with a silvery blue tint and it was gorgeous. I think someone had special ordered it then backed out. But I thought it was a beauty.

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Mercedes has a black pearl with a light bluish tint - I love that. Not sure what year that was.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hanma
This is all very subjective. First of all, half the cars out there are silver so it's a very boring color.
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that black, white, and gray have all surpassed silver.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree about Monsoon gray. It looks dull and lifeless to me. Quarts gray was so much better. But there is a new gray available on the A4: Dakota Gray. I saw an A6 in that color a couple of years ago, and from what I remember, it looked far more interesting than Monsoon.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

BTW, has anyone seen the Silver Cuvee Metallic in person? Does it have a gold-ish tone to it?
I've seen it and ordered one It looks very nice, it's also a "new" colour. The gold-ish tone is more subtle then similar colours in other brands, you can google it.
(and it does not look like the "render" on the audi-site )

Quick Reply: Which Color?