A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

cleaning smell from AC vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning smell from AC vents

I had a strong smell from my vents when using the re-circulate button. i took it in and dealer cleaned it out with a spray/foam and it got rid of most of it. Now it is subtle but I can still notice it on the AC with the re-circulate on and sometimes with it off. It's not consistent. Any suggestions beside re-spraying it?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had interesting odors coming from my AC as well lately - like in the last 10 days or so. I have been running AC in my car for the last couple months on recirculate and it was fine. Then i noticed it after a couple days of very strong thunderstorms. Could something have got wet? Maybe i need to get mine cleaned at the dealer as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't know what set it off or why it stopped, but I have had an odd, somewhat antiseptic smell from the AC on several occasions (seemed really bad coming out of winter when I first started using my AC again). As I mentioned, though, the smell has never persisted. How much do the cabin filters run? Would it be prohibitive to replace it to see if it made a difference? If they were under 30 bucks, I might consider it if my issues persisted.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can change the filter and spray the intake side of the A/C and that will help. To prevent this when you are about a mile or so from your home turn off the compressor, turn up the fan speed, and switch to outside air. This should dry all the condensation on the cooling coils thus lessening the chance of mold forming and causing the smell you are getting.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How do I change the filters, is it in the manual?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had this stench appear as well after some recent thunderstorms and feel confident that water is entering somewhere it shouldn't be. It calmed down rather quickly, but I feel that it should be investigated... A better seal somewhere? Has anyone else noticed something?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this happens when the ac get condensation so basically now you have a puddle of water and it get mildew and thet will smell ,heres the best thing for that just get in the car put the heater on and let it run for a couple of minutes in hi and thats it if you still got some smell do what you do when u go to the bathroom lol get some matches and put the ac in recirculate and the smoke will get the smell out
Old 06-04-2011, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would remove the old air filter. It is very easy. Find the air intake from the out side and turn the ac on high and spray lysol in the intake for about a min then replace the filter. It has work for me.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by topaz99
I had a strong smell from my vents when using the re-circulate button. i took it in and dealer cleaned it out with a spray/foam and it got rid of most of it. Now it is subtle but I can still notice it on the AC with the re-circulate on and sometimes with it off. It's not consistent. Any suggestions beside re-spraying it?
In Colorado, it is just now warming up where I need the A/C. Over the past few days, as I was driving home from work, I was trying to determine what the smell was. Mine is doing it on fresh or re-circ. Potential trip to the dealer I reckon.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NewtsA4
In Colorado, it is just now warming up where I need the A/C. Over the past few days, as I was driving home from work, I was trying to determine what the smell was. Mine is doing it on fresh or re-circ. Potential trip to the dealer I reckon.
I occasionally experience the same problem and have from day 1 (my 2011 is only 3 months old). It's a mildewy / musty stench that goes away after maybe 5-10 seconds.

Quick Reply: cleaning smell from AC vents