Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 259283

Default Check Engine Light Code P2187

Hello Everyone

I have a 2012 A4 CVT with 34,000.

Today may check engine light came on with error code P2187 "System too lean at idle bank 1".

Searched a bit on this site, and it sounds like it could be something with the crankcase valve? The car seems like it is running fine, but I did have the oil and spark plugs changed 2 weeks ago. I had to take the car back to the repair shop a few days after the work as the car was slowly leaking oil on my driveway. The shop said the leak was due to a crease in the gasket attached to the cap. They replaced the gasket and drained/refilled the oil at no cost.

So here are my questions.
1 - Anyone had experience with the P2187 code? What was the issue, how much did it cost to replace, and is this something that should still be under the 50,000 mile warranty?

2 - Could the leaking oil have contributed or caused this issue.

Thank you, any advice is greatly appreciated.
DCBKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 176364

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...9/P2187/008583
audi8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Anything that would cause a CEL should be covered under warranty. Every now and then, some small anomaly can trigger a fault code that doesn't reappear. If you have Vag-Com, you can run a scan and see if there is further info or if there are other faults. Otherwise, if the car seems to be running normally, you could see if the CEL goes off and doesn't repeat. (If it's flashing, the car shouldn't be driven - call the dealer immediately). In any case, the dealer should be able to diagnose and repair, if needed, at no cost to you.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBKC View Post
Hello Everyone

I have a 2012 A4 CVT with 34,000.

Today may check engine light came on with error code P2187 "System too lean at idle bank 1".

Searched a bit on this site, and it sounds like it could be something with the crankcase valve? The car seems like it is running fine, but I did have the oil and spark plugs changed 2 weeks ago. I had to take the car back to the repair shop a few days after the work as the car was slowly leaking oil on my driveway. The shop said the leak was due to a crease in the gasket attached to the cap. They replaced the gasket and drained/refilled the oil at no cost.

So here are my questions.
1 - Anyone had experience with the P2187 code? What was the issue, how much did it cost to replace, and is this something that should still be under the 50,000 mile warranty?

2 - Could the leaking oil have contributed or caused this issue.

Thank you, any advice is greatly appreciated.
I assume you mean the oil fill hole cap had a gasket crease and that is where you lost the oil? If so you lost the engine crankcase sealing which could tigger the code. Most likely a code reset will eliminate the problem.

Since you have the code, how did you obtain it? Did you erase the code? If you earsed it did it return?
Bob Petruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Petruska View Post
I assume you mean the oil fill hole cap had a gasket crease and that is where you lost the oil? If so you lost the engine crankcase sealing which could tigger the code. Most likely a code reset will eliminate the problem.

Since you have the code, how did you obtain it? Did you erase the code? If you earsed it did it return?
I just went by the nearest Jiffy Lube and had them pull up the code. They did not erase it though.

The oil change/leak was 2+ weeks ago so it seems weird that the CEL came on after this much time has passed.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 166422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBKC View Post
I just went by the nearest Jiffy Lube and had them pull up the code. They did not erase it though.

The oil change/leak was 2+ weeks ago so it seems weird that the CEL came on after this much time has passed.
Android phone + Torque/Torque Scan app ($7) + ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII reader from eBay ($25)

you can monitor engine stats, temps, pressures, as well as read/scan/erase codes
ports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
AudiWorld Newcomer

Issue Resolved:
Took the car into the dealership and there was an issue with one of the intake valves. Fortunately this part is under warranty and was replaced at no cost.

Thanks for the comments everyone
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 166422

DCBKC, awesome. Buy the ELM327+Torque anyway. It'll save you a few trips to Autozone and let you see a lot of cool parameters on your engine.
ports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2009, 2010, 2011, a4, audi, b8, cel, check, cod, code, engine, light, obd, p2187, recall, s7