A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

BMW 335i vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgilberti
What aspect of the BMW seemed more luxurious than the Audi interior? Just curious because I was looking into both as well.
I'd be curious as well. I made a short stop at a BMW dealer yesterday to check out the new 5 and take a closer look at the 3. Unfortunately, they both had the currently popular, but so drab, black color for the interiors. I didn't have time for a careful examination, but I wasn't impressed much. The worse thing that just jumps at you is the very low quality of the "Dakota" leather. It's like molded cardboard. The leather wrapped steering felt terrible. My Passat steering wheel with covered synthetic material feels much nicer. Maybe the leather on both the seating surface and the steering wheel will break in soften with use, I don't know.

The new 5 interior wasn't impressive. The interior was tight for a car that looks so large on the outside. I like to periodically shift my sitting position, and once in a while I like sitting a little high and a little closer to the steering. When I did that, the A pillar seemed to connect to the roof right over my head. It's unsettling to have glass that close to the side of my head. The leather was the same cheapo Dakota. I would prefer leatherette or to simply fork out the little extra for Nappa.

Maybe I should discount these first impressions formed in a haste (dind't have much time), but I wasn't exactly impressed by the interiors, perhaps because they were all black.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

The 335d that I drove had the chestnut brown leather seats... kind of an orange/brown leather. It was quite handsome with the accompanying light burl walnut trim.

--Phil
Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What did you think of the 335D. Today I drove a 135i and it has the same engine as the 335i. It was fast but the engine was very rev happy. I'm addicted to the low end torque of the diesel.

Last edited by traderfjp; 08-16-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

I loved the 335d. It felt like it had a giant V8 in it. Amazing, effortless power any time you want it, coupled with great handling and brakes. It was a blast to drive. In my part of the world, a rear-wheel drive car just doesn't work in the winter time, so I guess I'll have to keep waiting for the A4 TDI to show up here.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi will most likey use the 2.0 diesel they put in the Jetta. It is a real dog. The Jetta does 0 to 60 in 8.5 sec. The much larger 335d gets around the same mpg's but is fast as heck. The 335D is weighted so 50% of the weight is on both wheels. A few bags of play sand in the trunk before a snow storm and snow tires and you'll be fine. I paid extra not to get Quattro. The CVT shifted quicker and because of the loss of weight the CVT A4 feels much faster. In NY we usually don't get much snow on Long Island but it is different each year.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Speaking of a big V8 I also test drove an SS Camaro. I thought the engine was a brute. Very unrefined and I didn't feel the torque and the power wasn't as linear as the BMW. During WW2 we stole Germany's scientists to work on missles and the atomic bomb. I think we need to do the same thing with their car designers so Americans can design a decent car. American cars look better and are made better but still have such a long way to go. I drove a Maxima the other day. It has a lot going for it but then you go inside the cockpit and it's game over. Cheap platic *****, fake tacky carbon fiber, etc. I still think the Maixma is a great value though and has a very good engine and new CVT tranny.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Trader--

Most of the rumors that I've heard/read about a USA A4 TDI have had it coming with the 3.0 litre 6 that currently is available in the Q7. On the other hand, I've seen these rumors for about two years, and there are still no A4 TDI's in the pipeline. I agree with you about the 2-litre TDI... I drove the Jetta TDI and it was pretty gutless.

As for RWD, I live in Cincinnati, where we get a few snowstorms per winter. I live in a neighborhood with some long, steep hills, and I have a steep driveway as well. Do you really think I could get away with a RWD car in those kind of conditions, even with snow tires and extra weight in the trunk?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be honest I've read mixed reviews on the 3 series in snow. Those who went out and bought snow tires say that the are every bit as stable as a SUV. Until I buy the car and drive in the snow it is a crapshoot. Do a search on the 335d and snow. Did u drive the 335I and if so how did u think it compared to the diesel? As a side note some users are claiming 45 mpg on the hwy. with the 335d. And as always u never pay for maintenance with BMW for 4 years or 50k. Not even brakes or wiper blades. It is one nice car. I'm going to sign papers tomorrow on a Space Grey 335D. My other option is Saphire black. I had 2 black cars in a row so I'm ready for a change. My first choice was white and then red but none are in stock. Just black and grey.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a hard time justifying the price premium of the 335d over the 328i, even with the current sizeable discount I see on carsdirect.com
Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by traderfjp
The CVT shifted quicker ....
It doesn't shift AT ALL, so okaaaaay.

If you are talking about the simulated "shifting" when using the tiptronic-ish mode... those are just pre-selected ratio points meant to give you the sensation of a traditional automatic, if that's what you really want.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i vs A4