A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

BMW 335i vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 335i vs A4

Maybe this isn't a fair comparison because of the price difference. Anyway, I drove a 335xi and 335D. They both had very good acceleration but I felt my Audi A4 with CVT was fairly close in 0 - 60. I also liked the interior of the Audi better although the BMW seemed to have a more luxurious feel to it. One great thing about Audi is that they give you more standard options then BMW. There base car comes with vinyl seats and they even charge you for fold down seats.

The one big drawback to the 335i is that the car is RWD and I live where it snows. The XI version is very expensive to buy and lease. I was thinking of buying a 2010 AWD 335 for around 38k instead of leasing an Audi which is 430 and 2800 down for 42 months. Anyway, I would be interested to learn about the differences from those of you who know both cars. Thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can't compare the two. If you want a more fair comparison, compare the 335 with the S4. Otherwise, it's just apples and oranges.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by traderfjp
Maybe this isn't a fair comparison because of the price difference. Anyway, I drove a 335xi and 335D. They both had very good acceleration but I felt my Audi A4 with CVT was fairly close in 0 - 60.
More than a full second difference for 0-60, and definitely some handling differences, but you're right, the 2LT A4 is pretty quick for something so heavy and with such little relative horsepower.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The A4 Quattro is 6.5 sec. 0 to 60. Take out the Quattro drive system drag and weight and I bet you pickup a sec. That would put you at 5.5 which is in line with a 335i.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

The A4 Quattro is 6.5 sec. 0 to 60. Take out the Quattro drive system drag and weight and I bet you pickup a sec. That would put you at 5.5 which is in line with a 335i.
The non-quattro A4 is still rated at about 6.5 sec. However, at the risk of being flamed, I will say that, in my personal opinion, if 0-60 time is that important to you, an Audi is a silly choice.

I am an Audi owner because I value a certain *kind* of handling -- I like the way AWD cars handle, combined with what I find to be plenty acceleration for my needs (with chip).

I am an Audi owner because I think they have the hands-down *best* interior design team in the world. Period.

I've driven in quite a few BMWs. They handle well; very sporty. I can understand why certain people enjoy them. I do not -- they are simply not a "fit" for me; I don't feel quite comfortable in them.

I've always thought iflywoe's signature sums it up best: "As you walk away from your car after you park, do you look back? if you dont you got the wrong car....."
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sure you would be driving another car if your A4 moved like my wife's Civic Hybrid. There is nothing wrong with wanting performance in a car. It's part of the equation. Example: I was at Nissan looking at a Vette and the guy showed me the new Maxima. The model I looked at had all the goodies. The rear view mirros even turned down when you put the car in reverse. Tilt was all electronic, sports pack, etc. The car has 290hp and about the same amount of torque. It actually has an athletic look to the body and drives great with lots of power and torque thatnks to a well designed CVT. But once you get inside the car the driver is sadly reminded that it's a Nissan. I just couldn't get past the interior. It was god awful with carbon fiber everywhere and cheap *****, etc. Anyway, my point is that there are many factors that go into a purchse. While the Maxima had some nice torque grunt and performance it was lacking in fit and finish. I would not be swayed by one aspect. Although performance is probably the first thing I will look at and if the car is slow that would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Maybe this isn't a fair comparison because of the price difference. Anyway, I drove a 335xi and 335D. They both had very good acceleration but I felt my Audi A4 with CVT was fairly close in 0 - 60. I also liked the interior of the Audi better although the BMW seemed to have a more luxurious feel to it. One great thing about Audi is that they give you more standard options then BMW. There base car comes with vinyl seats and they even charge you for fold down seats.

The one big drawback to the 335i is that the car is RWD and I live where it snows. The XI version is very expensive to buy and lease. I was thinking of buying a 2010 AWD 335 for around 38k instead of leasing an Audi which is 430 and 2800 down for 42 months. Anyway, I would be interested to learn about the differences from those of you who know both cars. Thanks
What aspect of the BMW seemed more luxurious than the Audi interior? Just curious because I was looking into both as well.

Thanks,

J
Old 08-14-2010, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

True dat.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drove the BMW 335D today and it is a beast. Right after I got into my car and it seemed anemic. I also drove an Audi S4 which was a blast. I almost made a deal to lease the S4 but then I found out it was sold to a leasing company.

Last edited by traderfjp; 08-14-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

I drove a BMW 335d a few weeks ago. If they had an AWD version, I would have written a check on the spot. The torque of that engine was amazing, and coupled with BMW's handling and braking, it won me over. I'm still waiting for that A4 3.0 TDI to show up here in the USA.

--Phil

Quick Reply: BMW 335i vs A4