A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Bad A4 experience, what did you replace it with

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviela
Musk does not need dealers because he moves so few units. Everyone ignores, and Musk papers over, that you are just moving the tail pipe from the vehicle to the power station.

The technology to do so is expensive and dangerous (ask Boeing about lithium batteries) and the range stinks. The charging time is excessive, and plans to exchange batteries make no sense from an economic stand point unless all users rent the battery.

Driving from LA to Frisco in a Model S requires more planning than anyone should endure. The car is nice, has plenty of zip, but you can feel you are nursing a heavy vehicle.

Hanging around the charging station for a couple of hours is not really fun, like waiting in Chicago for a connection to Hong Kong. Just eats up your time.
The Tesla Network recharge is FREE and this startup period needs a little time to expand.

If the swapping batteries are available in every Shell gas stations and Tesla's own charging network, then Tesla will be like a hybrid and not worry about the range.

Li-ion batteries are every where, like your laptop computer has one, and in lots of hand held instruments. They are safe as gas tank at least. The latest news is Toyota will expand into Li-ion batteris and soon has JV plant to produce 200,000/yr these batteries for its cars, may be Prius or new name.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Musk has been talking about Tesla battery swaps since 2009 and nothing has been formerly announced yet for the S or the planned X. The infrastructure investment and complexity would be huge and with the so-far limited production size, I'm guessing it would be difficult to see a return on investment for many, many years. As it is, they are still a long way off on their goal of 100+ supercharging stations - just nine so far with only two in the northeast. I would think that would have to take priority before battery swapping stations.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Musk has been talking about Tesla battery swaps since 2009 and nothing has been formerly announced yet for the S or the planned X. The infrastructure investment and complexity would be huge and with the so-far limited production size, I'm guessing it would be difficult to see a return on investment for many, many years. As it is, they are still a long way off on their goal of 100+ supercharging stations - just nine so far with only two in the northeast. I would think that would have to take priority before battery swapping stations.
New charging stations can have both and your choice of swapping or charging, then swapping can be added to present charging stations.

Edmunds says: In just a few years, EV charging stations may be as ubiquitous as gas stations.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/cure...-stations.html

More news, Tesla will pay off govt loan and owe taxpayers nothing...

the company raised over $1 billion last week, and will use a portion of those proceeds to pay off its loan with the Department of Energy ahead of schedule. This will make Tesla the only US-based auto maker with no government debt.

How about Ford, I asked? I thought they skipped the government bailout a few years ago. True enough, but Ford owes DOE under the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturer (“ATVM”) Incentive Program, the same program that gave rise to the debt Tesla is about to pay off. So Tesla will be unique in not owing anything to the taxpayers.

Last edited by bigdadi; 05-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alphatero
I got rid of a Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T, which was a piece of s**t and replaced it with an Audi A4 which I love
I came out of a 2008 CTS when I bought my 2011 A4

While I wouldnt exactly call it a piece of ****......OK, on second thought that's EXACTLY what I would call it. It was flat-bedded to the dealership FOUR times for electrical malfunctions among other things. And the horrendous seats were as uncomfortable as anything I ever sat on.

So they can shove the ATS in the same place they did the CTS

And I love my A4!!
It appears whatever you had before your A4 was so sh*tty you can't even keep track of what it was.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dscline
It appears whatever you had before your A4 was so sh*tty you can't even keep track of what it was.
Genius, the comment about owning a Hyundai was pure sarcasm. Sorry it was too subtle for you.
Owning the crappy CTS was legitimate
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
I'd put this on a bumper sticker and drive around with it, if I wasn't so against stickers on my car.

The Koreans make VCR's not cars. If I need to eject a DVD, I'll call Hyundai. If I'd like to survive an accident, and drive a real automobile... I am going to call the Germans.

Bad idea, VCR's are made in China, and my Hyundai was made in the USA!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Genius, the comment about owning a Hyundai was pure sarcasm. Sorry it was too subtle for you.
Owning the crappy CTS was legitimate
Ah, so what you're saying is, your post had no constructive purpose other than to try to immediately derail the OP's thread?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The OP's question was not what you had before your A4 but what you purchased after your A4 (admittedly a query potentially smelling of bait). Only three posts responded correctly to his question and the other 26 posts (thus far) devolved into irrelevant responses and various personal attacks. I'm nominating this thread for the AW "Least Informative Thread of the Year" award. I apologize for contributing to this silliness.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surfcity rings
Bad idea, VCR's are made in China, and my Hyundai was made in the USA!
Still engineered by a people from a continent that .. I'll say it, and it'll **** people off.

I just prefer the work of German engineers in cars, and things we buy at work.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dscline
Ah, so what you're saying is, your post had no constructive purpose other than to try to immediately derail the OP's thread?
Anyone who comes on an A4 board to actually brag about buying a Hyundai, deserves to have his head examined,his thread derailed, and probably a few worse things.

Quick Reply: Bad A4 experience, what did you replace it with