A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Bad A4 experience, what did you replace it with

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

First of all, I think we should all refrain from making personal comments or insults-it is not in line with the spirit of this board.

Secondly, to clarify, the rudeness and arrogance I spoke of applied as much to Audi of America as it did to the dealer I was working with. It took a lot of fighting to get things fixed which were covered by STB's, and that just should not happen.

With regard to dealerships in general, there are good and bad in each brand, but there appear to be a lot of people who have had negative experiences with Audi, perhaps disproportionate to other brands. It is my belief that it is a cultural issue which flows down from AoA, and would need to be addressed before I would even consider another Audi vehicle.

I will add that my 535i lease is up in a year, and I am already researching replacements, though I love this car so much I will not rule out buying it at lease end if the numbers are right. I will also be looking at the Lexus GS Hybrid, the 2014 5 series, and I would imagine I will test the A6. The new RLX hybrid from Acura might get a look as well.

Good luck to all, and please, let's keep it civil in here.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's what I wrote on another forum:

"With over 600 dealers between them, both Audi and BMW are going to have dogs and winners. Same as with any other brands. As a point of comparison for both brands, A 2013 JD Power Luxury car category Customer Service Index didn't show either brand in the top five. In fact Audi came in 6th and BMW came in 7th, albeit with a very small difference between them and about average in the category for both. (Lexus was number one once again. Note that we're not comparing cars here, only dealer satisfaction.

Bottom line, each person will have varying dealer experiences (and expectations, for that matter). Even within a single dealership, there will be good and not so good people which can make or break one's satisfaction. Generalizing the dealer quality of one brand over another using a small sample won't be very useful."

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/pre...-csi-study.htm

The same thing applies to factory customer service. While my experience with AOA over the years has been mostly good, like at dealers, there are good people and not so good people there as well.

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-14-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luxury car satisfaction index No.1 will soon be TESLA.
The highlights:
No dealer involved
Min maintenance needed
If need service, they will send valet with their fully loaded model to your house and pickup your car for service, then valet your car back. If you like the loaner you can buy/lease immediately and they buy back your present car.
You won't spend time and money on service because they assume anything wrong with the car are theirs, including battery.
Car resale price is guaranteed by TESLA.

Elon will likely to announce swapping with pre-charged batteries is faster than fillup a gas tank.

Last edited by bigdadi; 05-13-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Art234
First of all, I think we should all refrain from making personal comments or insults-it is not in line with the spirit of this board.

Secondly, to clarify, the rudeness and arrogance I spoke of applied as much to Audi of America as it did to the dealer I was working with. It took a lot of fighting to get things fixed which were covered by STB's, and that just should not happen.

With regard to dealerships in general, there are good and bad in each brand, but there appear to be a lot of people who have had negative experiences with Audi, perhaps disproportionate to other brands. It is my belief that it is a cultural issue which flows down from AoA, and would need to be addressed before I would even consider another Audi vehicle.

I will add that my 535i lease is up in a year, and I am already researching replacements, though I love this car so much I will not rule out buying it at lease end if the numbers are right. I will also be looking at the Lexus GS Hybrid, the 2014 5 series, and I would imagine I will test the A6. The new RLX hybrid from Acura might get a look as well.

Good luck to all, and please, let's keep it civil in here.
That's just an observation bias. If you want to see a lot of unhappy/scammed people, go sit at any dealership.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I leased 2 Lexus, 2 Infinitis, and 2 Audi's in the last 15 years and service has been great by all.

My M35 Infiniti had engineering deficiencies affecting the steering and tracking. They were inherent and somewhat helped by better tires and bushings.

My first Audi had excess oil consumption which I dealt with until Audi fixed it. I added oil. What is the big deal about that? But then I owned British sports cars in the 1950s and 1960s. So adding oil was the least of my problems.

Young people today rag about every little problem like the Princess who sat on a pea.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barrels41
I leased 2 Lexus, 2 Infinitis, and 2 Audi's in the last 15 years and service has been great by all.

My M35 Infiniti had engineering deficiencies affecting the steering and tracking. They were inherent and somewhat helped by better tires and bushings.

My first Audi had excess oil consumption which I dealt with until Audi fixed it. I added oil. What is the big deal about that? But then I owned British sports cars in the 1950s and 1960s. So adding oil was the least of my problems.

Young people today rag about every little problem like the Princess who sat on a pea.
Big deal is that they aren't pro-actively fixing or changing it on successive model years. And for most of the people here it's been like pulling teeth at the dealer to get the replacements done.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bigdadi
Luxury car satisfaction index No.1 will soon be TESLA.
The highlights:
No dealer involved
Min maintenance needed
If need service, they will send valet with their fully loaded model to your house and pickup your car for service, then valet your car back. If you like the loaner you can buy/lease immediately and they buy back your present car.
You won't spend time and money on service because they assume anything wrong with the car are theirs, including battery.
Car resale price is guaranteed by TESLA.

Elon will likely to announce swapping with pre-charged batteries is faster than fillup a gas tank.
Eventually laws of economics will catch up with them. You can sell 100K cars with government tax credits only for so long. Remove tax, carbon credits and the novelty factor and let's see how long this will last.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dk1
Eventually laws of economics will catch up with them. You can sell 100K cars with government tax credits only for so long. Remove tax, carbon credits and the novelty factor and let's see how long this will last.
After The 2014 Model X, the 3rd generation Tesla will be A4 BMW 3 size and price at $30,000 - $35,000 ...Elon said, the swapping batteries can be quicker than fill up gas tank.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
That's just an observation bias. If you want to see a lot of unhappy/scammed people, go sit at any dealership.
not true. unhappy/scammed people rant on the internet, like you, go sit at any dealership and have a look around.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdadi
After The 2014 Model X, the 3rd generation Tesla will be A4 BMW 3 size and price at $30,000 - $35,000 ...Elon said, the swapping batteries can be quicker than fill up gas tank.
Musk does not need dealers because he moves so few units. Everyone ignores, and Musk papers over, that you are just moving the tail pipe from the vehicle to the power station.

The technology to do so is expensive and dangerous (ask Boeing about lithium batteries) and the range stinks. The charging time is excessive, and plans to exchange batteries make no sense from an economic stand point unless all users rent the battery.

Driving from LA to Frisco in a Model S requires more planning than anyone should endure. The car is nice, has plenty of zip, but you can feel you are nursing a heavy vehicle.

Hanging around the charging station for a couple of hours is not really fun, like waiting in Chicago for a connection to Hong Kong. Just eats up your time.

Quick Reply: Bad A4 experience, what did you replace it with