A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

B&O worth it for a non-audiophile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B&O worth it for a non-audiophile?

I'm considering getting a new A4 for my wife and can't decide if the B&O is worth it. We both like listening to music (her more than I as I have a sports radio addiction...), but I wouldn't call either of us audiophiles. I had the standard system in my old 99 A6 and have Bose in my 06 A6. While I love what I have now, I wouldn't say I was that bothered by the standard system. I saw a thread debating this in the Q5 forum, but didn't see one here and wasn't sure if it was the same setup. Do you guys have any strong opinions one way or another?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best overall stock sound system I've ever heard. It is a steal and very worth it.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would consider myself an audiophile, and I'd say the B&O system is an audible advance over the standard system. Better bass, clearer midrange, smoother highs. It probably plays louder, but I don't plan on going deaf. Nevertheless, it does not give you "high end" sound quality. I'm glad I got it. Can't you find a dealership where you could bring along a CD you know and try the standard versus the B&O?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going to listen to Jim Rome I guess it doesn't make a difference to all of you clones, but the sound is a lot more clear than Bose and stock, the biggest difference is that the sound is just as clear regardless of the volume, if you don't get it for the sound quality get it for the cool looking speaker grills :-)
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iflywoe
... the sound is a lot more clear than Bose and stock, the biggest difference is that the sound is just as clear regardless of the volume ...
In addition, when the road noise varies, the B&O system does "something" to keep the sound perceived clear (using a mike in the overhead console). I haven't compared to the standard system but I'm happy with the B&O results.

At first I did not think setting the "sound focus" to Driver was for me. I think mostly because I was used to having "sound from all corners" in my previous cars. But when I followed a recommendation from this forum to set focus to Driver _and then_ adjust the tone controls somewhat, I realised that it not only affects the sound stage but it makes the sound quality better. (The sound for the passengers is still good with focus set to driver.)

Originally Posted by iflywoe
, if you don't get it for the sound quality get it for the cool looking speaker grills :-)
I don't know if the speaker design in the standard system also gives annoying reflections, but here is my solution:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=1
Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My vote is for B&O. I have the standard system and it leaves you wanting more. I am going to try to mod it as soon as I have some cash.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the B&O and wasn't going to buy an A4 without it. I'm no audiophile but that has nothing to do with it. I just want the best system I can without going aftermarket.

I've seen several posts in various threads where folks either can't hear the difference or don't know what the big deal is or that the Sirius input is simply horrible.

For starters, you need to take your own CD with music you know very well and that has high quality, clear highs and deep clean lows. Not some noisy *** rock ruckus. Sit in cars with both systems, set the tone controls in each and let 'er rip. You'll clearly hear the difference. Whether the difference is of any value to you is a separate issue.

As for Sirius... the input is lame because it is so compressed, but the difference between it and the other inputs is less obvious than the XM in my B6 S4. I don't think it has as much to do with Sirius vs XM as it does the improvements in equipment over the last 6 years. My buddy's Sirius equipped Acura from 6 years ago was just as bad as my B6. In a Sonata rental I had once, it was very difficult to tell the XM from other sources. These days I think car makers are making more effort towards tweaking the sound processing to improve sat. radio.

When flipping between inputs in either A4 stereo (std or B&O)is everyone aware that the tone controls are separate for each input? I have run across folks who don't realize you have to set them independently per input. I have watched them switch inputs and bitch about how bad it is... duh, you didn't adjust the tone controls there.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperionguy
As for Sirius... the input is lame because it is so compressed, but the difference between it and the other inputs is less obvious than the XM in my B6 S4. ... In a Sonata rental I had once, it was very difficult to tell the XM from other sources.
Not to get too far off-topic, but it's interesting how this keeps coming up in this forum. I had XM in my old Acura, which had an outstanding sound system, and the quality was near CD, whereas Sirius is continually noted to be sub-par. The conclusion from everything I've seen here is that XM, for whatever reason, has significantly better sound than Sirius.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the current standard stereo is not as good as my 06 A4, BUT would I pay all that money for a stereo in my car? No way. I have most of the features in my car including Nav, but the upgraded stereo is not something I can live with paying for.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNM6P3CNRQ

Quick Reply: B&O worth it for a non-audiophile?