A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How do you clean your wheels? (Stock 17" that comes with P+)

Old 06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean your wheels? (Stock 17" that comes with P+)

My problem with the wheels is that it has too many spokes, which are an extreme pain to clean. Anyone have a good technique?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HAWC1506
My problem with the wheels is that it has too many spokes, which are an extreme pain to clean. Anyone have a good technique?
Yeah- don't clean them and just pretend they're gun metal.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

a good wheel brush should help, what are you using now to clean them?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As already mentioned a good wheel brush will really help. I don't recommend the Audi brush which has stiff bristles and was too thin as well. I have a brush about 2-3 times wider and softer than the Audi brush that works just great. Can't for the life of me remember where I ordered it from, but will research and let you know if you want.

Oh yes, another thing about the Audi brush is that it kept losing its plastic cover designed to keep the braided wire tip of the brush from scratching your wheels. I was always double-checking to make sure it was still on. Pain in the butt looking for it when it did come off.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I feel your pain. I loved my 10-spoke sport pkg wheels but it was a part-time job keeping them clean, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to upgrade to a 5-spoke design (I've always preferred the look of 5-spokes anyway). There really is no easy way to keep them clean unfortunately, but there are tools to make the job easier.

My favorite tool is my boar's hair wheel brush. It works great for cleaning the face of the wheel (especially around the bolts) and the areas where the face meets the outer rim. To clean the sides of the spokes themselves, I just used an old wash mitt (don't use the same one you use to wash your car!) to "grab" the spoke and clean them using an up-and-down motion (get your heads out of the gutter ppl )

I also use a brush similar to what the Old Dog mentioned to clean the inner drum on occasion.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
To clean the sides of the spokes themselves, I just used an old wash mitt (don't use the same one you use to wash your car!) to "grab" the spoke and clean them using an up-and-down motion (get your heads out of the gutter ppl )
Good point ItsDubC that I forgot to mention. I also use an old wash mitt JUST for the wheels.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I enjoy washing both of our Audi's but hate doing the wheels. The 19" wheels on my wife's S-Line are an even bigger hassle than the 18" on my S4. I invested in the Armor All Wheel Protector after seeing a discussion about it on the Forum. I have to say that while a little pricy, it has proven to be a good investment. My wheels still collect brake dust but not as bad as before and what does collect will spray right off with just water. It was obvious that it was working the next time I washed the car because I could see where I had not gotten 100% coverage when I sprayed it on the week before. If someone can invent a wheel brush that would make this job easier I would be willing to invest in their invention.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

As soon as these brake pads wear out I'm going with ceramic. I have to clean my 18" sport package wheels twice a week. I wouldn't mind if they were easy to clean, but they're a bear. I have to admit, however, that a feel a certain sense of satisfaction when I drive up to another B8 Audi and his or her wheels are black with brake dust. :-P
Old 06-04-2010, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I use foam brushes...the ones you would use to stain wood with. They are cheap and get the job done. The smallest size, 1 inch, works perfectly for the lug nut holes. As for cleaning in between spokes, the largest size works great. For the face of the rim I use a cotton wash cloth. Those foam brushes can be found at your local home improvement store.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

me too, i used foam brushes, but it helps when my 14 year old loves washing the car, or is it the money after he washes it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you clean your wheels? (Stock 17" that comes with P+)