A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Any good bike rack solutions for Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good bike rack solutions for Sedan

So it's finally heating up in NE Ohio (80 this weekend) and I'm starting to miss my old beater car that I could just throw a mountain bike in the hatch. Anyone have and suggestions for a bike rack for a B8 Sedan. I'd prefer something removable and something that won't mess up (ie. scratch, dent) my nice car. Any options out there?. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

An OEM roof system with bike carriers is your best option unless you want a trunk mount rack (low $, but not recommended as it will mess up the trunk paint) or add a hitch mount and then get a hitch mount rack.

http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/c...roducts_id=916
Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a trunk rack and it didn't scratch the paint on my past car. I was concerned about that happening, but it never did.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just bought the AUDI rack (for carrying windsurfers). In the past I've used Thule, but it sounds like Thule isn't going to come out with a fit kit for a while for the b8 sedan.

So far the rack looks pretty good. It requires a special wrench (included) to attach it to the car but it looks like you can take the rack on and off pretty quickly once you get the hang of it. There are small holes on the inside of the door frame which the rack locks into so you can't move the bars around.

Parts of the rack are plastic which doesn't make me happy, but all in all it looks to be pretty solid.

Audi is offering a promotion now for 20% off
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/s...ack_offer.html

enjoy the spring!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the audi rack base and added the big ski rack to it. Fits like a charm and has rubber flaps to protect the paint. The rack base can be fitted with a variety of different options.
I think its a little pricey and i paid cost for mine. But it works flawlessly.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by phanatic
So it's finally heating up in NE Ohio (80 this weekend) and I'm starting to miss my old beater car that I could just throw a mountain bike in the hatch. Anyone have and suggestions for a bike rack for a B8 Sedan. I'd prefer something removable and something that won't mess up (ie. scratch, dent) my nice car. Any options out there?. Thanks.
Roof rack all the way. I guess I haven't checked to see if Thule or Yakima is making it yet, but if so, that's the way I'd go. Just put some clear bra material on roof underneath racks feet=no scratches; works well. Avoid the rear rack, it is less stable, bikes get scratched, and you look like a toolbox; sorry, no offense to back rackers.