A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Air Conditioner Smell

Old 01-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner Smell

Does anyone have a funky smell when they first turn on the A/C? For a couple minutes, I always smell a strong nail ploish remover like smell from the vents. It goes away after several minutes, but it seems pretty weird. Debating if I should take it in for service to have it looked at.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budgetwam
Does anyone have a funky smell when they first turn on the A/C? For a couple minutes, I always smell a strong nail ploish remover like smell from the vents. It goes away after several minutes, but it seems pretty weird. Debating if I should take it in for service to have it looked at.
I did. Replaced the cabin air filter and the smell went with the old filter...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes I had that weird sweet chemical smell this summer too. Not getting it anymore with the heat on. It smelled vaguely like an ice cream parlor to me for some reason.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes

I posted about this a few months ago when I took delivery of a 2010 A4. Smell has lessened, especially since using heat. It never smelled like "new car smell" to me.

-- plA4keeps
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My '09 B8 does it too. I hadn't run the A/C in a while, but it was actually warm here in So Cal a week or two ago. So I turned on the A/C and we all about died from the smell. Kind of a stinky feet chemically smell. I called my dealer and was told they have a solution that they can run thru the system that makes the smell go away. Apparently it's caused by the condensation sitting in the system and happens when the A/C isn't used for a while. Sounds like Audi needs to send their A/C team back to school eh?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andreg
I called my dealer and was told they have a solution that they can run thru the system that makes the smell go away. Apparently it's caused by the condensation sitting in the system and happens when the A/C isn't used for a while. Sounds like Audi needs to send their A/C team back to school eh?
It's not Audi. This is a common problem in lots of brands. They use a fungicide (aka killing YOU and the mold) to get rid of the smell.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How to Get Rid of Air Conditioner Odor

Air conditioners are devices designated to lower the temperature of an area. Most building and houses today have air-conditioning units, given the comfort that they provide, especially during summer. The only problem is, sometimes their emissions contain not only cool air, but also a strong pungent scent that can spread quickly, even inside large rooms. If you think that's bad, imagine how agonizing it is for car owners, with their limited space, to bear bad air conditioner odor.
Air Conditioner Odor Causes

Air conditioner odor is caused by many things. It can be a strong odor picked up from inside or outside the room. It can also be a sign that the unit is in need of some cleaning and maintenance. To give you a clearer picture, here are the causes of bad air conditioner odor:
Clogged Air-Conditioning Drain – Long–running air conditioner odors are caused by a clogged water drain inside the unit. If the air conditioner has not been cleaned for a long time, dirt accumulates and blocks the drainage. As a result, the water is stuck in the condensation chamber, which eventually stagnates and produces a foul odor. That odor then escapes through the emission vent and proceeds to infest your room.
Smoke – Smoke, being a heavy gas, can stay inside the chambers of an air-conditioner. Once the unit is turned on, it exits through the emission vent, bringing along its strong heavy smell in your car or room. The odor usually lasts for about one to five minutes, depending if smoke is still present inside the unit's vents and chambers.
Dead Animal – Small mice have a habit of touring the crevices behind the walls and beyond the ceiling. They creep inside cracks and sometimes end up inside the pipes that lead to the chambers of your air conditioner. When they perish inside the condensation chamber, you can probably imagine how bad the air conditioner's odor will be.
Miscellaneous Odors – Just like smoke, other strong odors like your neighbor's cooking, insecticides or the nasty stench coming from garbage trucks can stay inside the air conditioner. They will unceremoniously exit the device upon opening. Good thing the stench fades after a minute or so, except for the smell of insecticides, which stay much longer.
Accumulated Dirt from the Air Filter – The air filter, in exchange for sieving air, collects dust and other small particles near the air conditioner. When the filter accumulates too much dirt and dust, it can produce a faint pungent odor, which gradually fades. Your real concern is that the odors, coming from the other causes, take a longer time to fade than with a congested filter.
Engine Leak – A car air-conditioning unit is directly connected to the alternator, which gives it power. When the combustion engine gets damaged and develops a leak, the unit will be exposed to the dizzying fumes of burning antifreeze (Tips on how to get rid of antifreeze). The air conditioner, in turn, will expel the fumes through the emission vent and into your car. Continuous inhalation of the fumes can cause respiratory ailments, so have your car serviced the moment you notice a gasoline-like odor coming from the air conditioner.

Only the clogged air conditioning drain and the engine leak, among the six major causes, produce permanent odors. Incidentally, they are also telltale signs that the air conditioner or your car should receive maintenance soon. Leaving the drain clogged for a long time will eventually damage the unit's motor, prompting pricey repair fees or worse, buying a new air conditioner altogether.
Get Rid of Room Air Conditioner Odors

Removing the odor from a room air conditioner, when compared to the car air-con, is a bit easier. With the bigger space provided by your room, the smell is more tolerable and can be concealed through air fresheners. In addition, having the air conditioner serviced regularly removes all odor-related problems.
Have the Air Conditioner Serviced – When you have the air conditioner serviced, a technician will come to your place and do an extensive checkup on your unit. The vents, chambers and the air filter will be cleaned, while the drain will be stripped of accumulated dirt, which eliminates the causes of air conditioner odor. Ideally, your air conditioner should be serviced twice a year, so it will run continually at optimum level.
Clean the Air Conditioner Yourself – With a toothbrush and a rag, scrub off the dirt from the air conditioner's chambers, filter and grilles. This task will remove all the air-filter related odors and provide an easy escape for externally stored aromas. Best of all, the water drain won't clog easily, since dirt is removed even before it reaches the condensation chamber. (If you would like more detailed instructions for cleaning an air conditioner, read How To Clean an Air Conditioner at MonsterGuide.net)
Air Freshener Sprays – For people who find cleaning the air conditioner too tedious, you can just spray your room with air freshener. The scents of some sprays are strong enough to mask the odor, and at the same time, make your room smell refreshing.
Car Fresheners – A car freshener can only conceal the odor of a small area, so you have to buy more than one canister. Position them strategically in your room to keep the air conditioner odor at bay.
Perfume/Cologne – In place of air fresheners, you can use your own perfume (Want to make your own perfume, learn how to make perfume) or cologne to overpower the odor coming from your air conditioner. Its aroma is just as strong as an air freshener's. Though, not many people will actually waste the pricey products to counter unflattering room odors.
Open the Air Conditioner's Built-In Vent – New air-conditioning units have outside vents found at the back that serve as exit points for fumes and horrid smells. You can open those hatches whenever air conditioner odor appears. The odor will be fainter and will fade at a faster rate.

You can combine some of the methods presented to create an efficient process for eliminating unwanted odors. For instance, you can use air fresheners and clean the air conditioner regularly before having it serviced. The odor-eliminating combo will remove any foul smell and extend the usable life of your cooling device.
Eliminate Car Air Conditioner Odors

Car air conditioner odors are trickier to remove. Since auto air-conditioning systems are connected to the engine, you have more factors to consider. In addition, some of the methods for eliminating room air conditioner odor won't stop engine-related emissions. You should be watchful of both your car and the air-conditioning system for you to completely prevent the appearance of odors. Here are your options:
Fix the Car Engine – For antifreeze-related problems, your only option is to fix the engine. Your should mend or replace the damaged parts; otherwise, your air conditioner will emit fumes, even if it is working perfectly. If you are not adept at fixing car engines, hiring a professional is your only option. The engine should be repaired as soon as possible because the antifreeze emissions are harmful to your health.
Car Freshener – Car fresheners bear refreshing scents that make your traveling experience a pleasurable one. They are formulated to repulse any odor that strays inside the car. You can place one near the air conditioner for maximum results.
Clean the Air Conditioner – Open the cover of the air conditioner and clean it with a chamois or a moist cloth. Once done, use the cloth to remove the dirt clogging the drain holes. Make sure that it is spotless right after. Reach underneath the holes and you will find the collection pan. Drain it, then wash it with soap and water. When the pan is clean, return it below the drain holes. Return the cover and open the air conditioner. You will be surprised at how refreshing cool air really is, without the pungent smell.
Hire a Professional – Many car owners can fix car engines like mechanics, but only a few know how to tinker with the air-conditioning system. If you are unsure about your skills, you can just hire a professional to clean or fix your air conditioner. Your odor problems will be gone for a reasonable price. Feel free to call a professional if the stench still hasn't faded after ten minutes.
Open the Air Conditioning Vent – Open the air conditioner's outside vent if the stench is unbearable. After doing so, the odor will fade faster. Just be wary if there are smoke belchers on the road. Their emissions are far worse than normal air conditioner stench.

Stinky as they are, car air conditioner odors are signs that something is wrong with your car or your car's air conditioning unit. Check your car if the pungent odor is unbearable and stays for long periods.
The Lowdown

The odors emitted by room-based units are best eliminated by regularly cleaning the air conditioner and having it serviced. The stench from car-based units, on the other hand, is governed by more factors. If the odor remains after a significant amount of time, you can clean the unit yourself or by a professional. For fume-related emissions, you have to get the engine fixed immediately.

Removing air conditioner odor is not always a walk in the park. Some work is required for severe cases. Then again, a little pressure is always good. You will learn how to take care of your air conditioner properly, as well as your room and your car, in the process. As you can see, all is fair in enduring odors and removing odors.

Last edited by uberwgn; 07-17-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgdA4
Yes I had that weird sweet chemical smell this summer too. Not getting it anymore with the heat on. It smelled vaguely like an ice cream parlor to me for some reason.
All of you having this issue -- I'd suggest you try pulling the pollen filter and see if it smells like what you are experiencing. I replaced my pollen filter and the smell I had is gone.

Not saying the filter is the cause of all smells, but mine was apparently the source of the "sweet chemical" smell and with a new filter it's gone.

You can run the system w/o the filter briefly -- see if it still smells. If it doesn't -- the filter is likely the cause. If it still smells, something else is the cause and it will need to be eliminated and the filter will likely need to be replaced too.

There is a step by step how-to here somewhere posted by B_Boy IIRC.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by need_TQM; 01-24-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Smell

I mean, I had a thought come through my head but I'm not sure how much sense it would make. Would maybe having the a/c on for a long period of time at really cold when it's hot outside I notice around my vents I get the condensation, could this be happening down near the filter and then having that condensation just dry up when the car turns off and just sits in the sun? Or is there always open air flow to dry out the condensation? The reason I'm asking is because I have a slight mildew almost dirty towel smell for about 15 seconds when my car turns on.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my cabin air filter at 2years because it smelled bad in the car everytime I turned on the heat.. there was rotting leaves stuck in it.

Replaced it again at 4years.. and it didn't smell as bad.. but that filter was still dirty and black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Smell