A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

ADS Steering comments

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADS Steering comments

I have 3.2 A4 with ADS and navigation, and I am fully aware of the differences between variable ratio and variable power assistance in the steering department. My experience of the ADS in my car is that while in 'dynamic mode' the steering is definitely less power assisted (less servotronic)than in say 'comfort mode', that means more force is needed to turn the steering wheel. But in my experience (which is totally anedoctal), I feel the 'dynamic mode' does not change the ratio of the steering by making it higher ratio, more sensitive, sharper or anymore communicative to the road than the 'comfort mode'. To the contrary, I find this artificial stiffening of the steering less satisfying than the 'comfort mode' setting which to me is quite accurate. The 'dynamic mode' seems to have a deadlock feeling in the middle and minor adjustment from straight ahead is annoyingly stiff and uncommunicative. Reminded me of pulling the Servotronic relay of my 2001 S6 during those days.
Thus I set my Individual setting to
Engine = Dynamic
Steering = Comfort
Suspension = Auto
What do you guys think?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find comfort too loose for the steering. Remember that the 'auto' setting should be in the middle of dynamic and comfort (I think it's a setting in it's own right and not just switching the comfort/dynamic programs).

I haven't looked closely at the ratios - but my belief was that the ratio got altered on speed, not mode. The ADS changes the feel - heavier or not.

I have the individual mode configured for comfort on long drives. I just up the steering feel slightly to the auto setting.

John.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

When the steering is in Dynamic mode the amount of steering wheel turn required to carry out a specific maneuver is decreased. When in Comfort mode, the steering seems to be less precise and it is less responsive when compared with the Dynamic mode setting, which, in my opinion will spoil you for anything else. In Dynamic mode the car steers like it is on rails. In Comfort mode, not so much.

Here are my settings for Individual (I have the 19" sport package, btw):

Engine/Transmission = Dynamic
Steering = Dynamic
Suspension = Auto
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Steering in comfort mode reminds me of my father's 87 Buick. Feels diconnected and too light. Dynamic mode enables variable ratio which makes steering feel "telepathing". It is also noticably heavier.

My individual settings are:
Engine: auto
Transmission: auto (or comfort for long drives with the family)
Steering: dynamic
Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
When the steering is in Dynamic mode the amount of steering wheel turn required to carry out a specific maneuver is decreased.
True, but I'm not sure that the amount of turns needed change using dynamic. Audi's Literature on "Dynamic Steering" which is the steering component of ADS states:

Audi dynamic steering alters the steering ratio depending on the vehicle speed and simultaneously adjusts the steering torque to match the ratio: for a more precise steering feel and better road surface feedback.

At high motorway speeds, Audi dynamic steering adopts a more indirect steering ratio, thus eliminating nervousness in the steering and improving straight-line directional stability. If on the other hand the vehicle is being driven at low to medium speeds on twisting roads, a more direct ratio is used to increase steering precision and speed up steering response. And finally during parking the steering has a direct ratio to make manoeuvring easier for the driver. Audi dynamic steering is only available in conjunction with Audi drive select.
To me this means that the number of turns is dictated by vehicle speed. The amount of steering assistance (feel) is dictated by the drive select setting.

Taken from: http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...g.browser.html

(and happy to be corrected....)

Cheers,

John.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

This is their description of what I said, ". . .increase steering precision and speed up steering response."

When carving up and down the twisties, the steering response is sped up. I feel it as a need to turn the steering wheel less to achieve the desired results.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe it does also increase response. I'll have a play when I get my car back from the dealer....

John.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
True, but I'm not sure that the amount of turns needed change using dynamic. Audi's Literature on "Dynamic Steering" which is the steering component of ADS states:

To me this means that the number of turns is dictated by vehicle speed. The amount of steering assistance (feel) is dictated by the drive select setting.
I haven't verified this but the description in the on-Board Handbook differentiates between "Steering", "Dynamic Steering" and the "Dynamic" mode that is said to alter the characteristics.
It also makes a distinction between "indirect" and "direct" which I believe refer to the ratio.

Some extracts: ----
DYNAMIC
gives the vehicle a tighter set-up. ...the steering is dynamic and direct*.

COMFORT
The steering is light and indirect*

---
Applies to vehicles: with Audi drive select:
* The servotronic power steering "Power steering (servotronic)" will also respond to different drive set-ups.

* The dynamic steering* alters the steering ratio depending on the road speed to
optimise the amount of steering effort required by the driver at any given time.
This enables the sensitivity of the steering to be reduced at higher speeds in
order to improve the handling of the vehicle. The steering is more direct at
lower speeds to minimise the amount of steering effort required by the driver,
e.g. when manoevring in tight spaces. The dynamic steering* also provides a more
agile steering response at low and medium speeds. You can adjust the basic
characteristics of the steering in the Audi drive select menu.

The following table provides an overview of the characteristics in each driving mode.
<table width="50%" BORDER="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" bgcolor="#cccccc">
<tr align="left" valign="top" bgcolor="#ddddee">
<th ALIGN="LEFT" width="35.8%">Systems<BR></th>
<th ALIGN="CENTER" width="22.4%">COMFORT<BR></th>
<th ALIGN="CENTER" width="20.9%">AUTO<BR></th>
<th ALIGN="CENTER" width="20.7%">DYNAMIC<BR></th></tr>
<tr align="left" valign="top" bgcolor="#ffffff">
<td ALIGN="LEFT" width="35.8%"><b>Steering</b><BR></td>
<td ALIGN="CENTER" width="22.4%">Comfortable<BR></td>
<td ALIGN="CENTER" width="20.9%">Balanced<BR></td>
<td ALIGN="CENTER" width="20.7%">Dynamic<BR></td></tr>
<tr align="left" valign="top" bgcolor="#ffffff">
<td ALIGN="LEFT" width="35.8%"><b>Dynamic steering</b>*<BR></td>
<td ALIGN="CENTER" width="22.4%">Comfortable (indirect)<BR></td>
<td ALIGN="CENTER" width="20.9%">Balanced (direct)<BR></td>
<td ALIGN="CENTER" width="20.7%">Dynamic (direct)<BR></td></tr>
</table>
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
You're dead on, and as far as I'm concerned, *somehow* the US model didn't get this. I have tested this over and over and over in my car. It never mattered what mode I was in or the speed, the steering ratio never changed like all the youtube animations showed that it would. It would take me a 1/2 turn of the steering wheel to perform the same amount of wheel turn no matter what speed I drove at.

Here's what he's talking about for those that are confused between the boost vs. the ratio that Audi told us all would be included on this car (2:28 of the animation shows it best.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umsULUG2P-M

I personally am a little irritated. The literature from Audi says certain things will be on the car, yet for US models, some things just are not there. How about adaptive headlines that *supposedly* follow the road as you turn. Nope, we don't get them in the US, only self-leveling ones. Hmm... The sales literature said it would be include, but it's not (and this is not a "package" issue, as I drive a Prestige with all the goodies so it should be there.)
Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a4Happy
You're dead on, and as far as I'm concerned, *somehow* the US model didn't get this.
No, we got it - or at least some of us did (I think ADS might be the pack to have). How do I know? A VAG-COM scan reveals a module called "Active Steering".

Now, I think we're all agreed that the amount of steering servo assist changes with the ADS steering setting - right? Dynamic = heavier, comfort = light.

What we need now is some concrete proof that the ratio changes are also affected by the ADS steering settings. I'm certain that the ratio should be affected by the vehicle speed.

When I get my car back from the dealer, I'll hook up the VAG-COM and see what measuring blocks we can see (and if they mean anything). If we get something meaningful it's time to do some logging with comfort and then dynamic applied.

Unless somebody with a VAG-COM beats me to it (and can be bothered)

John.

Quick Reply: ADS Steering comments