A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 or used 328...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also point out that maintaining and repairing a used BMW can get VERY expensive... At least a new Audi is going to come with a warranty, so there are no worries about that for a few years.

Also, if I lived in Wisconsin, as much as I like BMW's I would avoid a rear-wheel drive car. I live in Ohio, and our winters are not as tough as yours, but I really value having Quattro when the white stuff starts falling.

--Phil
Old 05-01-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by la_strada
For 35,000 pre-tax you can probably pick up a new 2010 328i. I got a quote of 36.5 K for a new 2010 328i X-drive 6MT with Value package, Premium package, Xenons, Metallic paint, and Satellite radio.

That was roughly the same quote I got for a 2010 A4 Premium Plus 6MT with metallic paint, a comparably equipped car to the 328 X-drive I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Actually the BMW was a arguably a little better equipped and included free maintenance. BMW is discounting a lot more than Audi right now.
really? i went to a BMW dealership, i couldn't get the 328i x drive priced that low. where did you go/are you located?
Old 05-01-2010, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bradykp
really? i went to a BMW dealership, i couldn't get the 328i x drive priced that low. where did you go/are you located?
Upstate NY. Pre-tax figure. Overall it was about 4500 off MSRP. It included 2500 "Spring Drive Credit" that required you to finance through BMWFS at 0.9% financing for two years or 3.9% for three, four or five years.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you guys for the kind words and all the advice you've given me! If I can get the 328 for around 20,500, I'll probably take it...It is a good deal. Secretly though, I hope he doesn't sell it to me for cheap and I'll just buy a new Audi. I've never doubted for a second that it's a superior car, although with a much higher price.

Regarding whether for me buying a rather expensive car is a good choice...If I can find a good, cheaper car, I would forgo the Audis and BMWs like I said. You do get what you pay for with the A4 though I'm sure. Plus, I do want to reward myself a little.

What about the carbon build-ups in the Audi engines? Is that something to be worried about? And does it only affect turbo-charged engines or only direct-injection engines? BMWs don't seem to have that issue. Are you guys dealing or preventing this issue yourselves?

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
Don't go for a barebones car.. you'll always regret it. I had a 2003 BMW 325xi for 6.5 years.. i hated not having the NAV/control system.. it was a great car.. but i was always missing something.. and i love having my nav and other amenities on my 2009 A4.

What school are you graduating from that gives out an Accounting degree as a Science?

And save your money.. you are 21.. you really don't need to spend $35k on a car. Because if you get into trouble in the next few years, that'll be the first thing you have to sell. Go reasonable.. hell buy a Toyota.. they last.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign gives Accounting (ranked top 3) degrees as a science...Would you rather say it's an art? I believe most school give Accy as B.S. degrees anyway.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ports
Don't go for a barebones car.. you'll always regret it.
Couldn't agree more. I chose not to go w/sport or Sline package and have regretted pretty much ever since.

Also, 95% of retro-fits are actually cheaper (assuming you match quality) from the OEM than DIYing.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThePiombino
Couldn't agree more. I chose not to go w/sport or Sline package and have regretted pretty much ever since.

Also, 95% of retro-fits are actually cheaper (assuming you match quality) from the OEM than DIYing.
I'm undecided on the sport package if I go with the A4. Seems like a deal but don't know about the ride quality reduction. Guess I have to test drive and see for myself.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

On a side note, I found a 2007 335i with 22K miles for under $26,000, it's pretty base in options. I found another 2007 CPO 335i with 45K miles for under $25,000 with sport/prem/cold package options. Those seem like good substitutes to an A4 too!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For someone your age, there is also the GTI.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thebuckscubsfan
Thank you guys for the kind words and all the advice you've given me! If I can get the 328 for around 20,500, I'll probably take it...It is a good deal. Secretly though, I hope he doesn't sell it to me for cheap and I'll just buy a new Audi. I've never doubted for a second that it's a superior car, although with a much higher price.

Regarding whether for me buying a rather expensive car is a good choice...If I can find a good, cheaper car, I would forgo the Audis and BMWs like I said. You do get what you pay for with the A4 though I'm sure. Plus, I do want to reward myself a little.

What about the carbon build-ups in the Audi engines? Is that something to be worried about? And does it only affect turbo-charged engines or only direct-injection engines? BMWs don't seem to have that issue. Are you guys dealing or preventing this issue yourselves?

Thanks again guys!
Actually, BMWs (and all other brands') direct fuel injected engines have the carbon build up problems at the same exact frequency and intensity an Audi (which is all over all vehicle brands message boards). Of course, this problem is mostly with vehicle owners on vehicle forums (given the survey ratings from good survey companies like Consumer Reports and True Delta). Vehicle owners that reply to good survey companies make up for 50-60% of vehicle owners worldwide. By comparison, vehicle owners that reply to survey companies that are generally no good (such as JD Power and Associates and Strategic Vision) make up for 20-25% of all vehicle owners worldwide. Vehicle owners on vehicle forums make up for less than 1% (¼%, if I am not mistaken) of vehicle owners worldwide.

Vehicle owners that reply to surveys (the good surveys and the bad surveys; good and bad surveys are based on the class of people that reply to surveys most of the time) have just as much real world experience as or a little more real world experience than vehicle owners on vehicle forums.

From experience, people who reply to CR and TD are usually (but by NO means entirely) hard working honest, intelligent/knowledgeable, working class people with great, respectable jobs (most of which pay great).

Also from experience, people who reply to JD Power and SV are usually (but by NO means entirely) not particularly honest. Also, at least 50% of the time, people that reply to these surveys are not particularly intelligent/knowledgeable, working class people (half of the time, these people have lower end jobs where you very hard or super hard and get paid little or very little for it).

Quick Reply: A4 or used 328...