A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 Avant verus Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Avant verus Q5

I'm thinking of rejoining the Audi family after 5 years with an Acura TL. I took a short test drive of the Q5 and A4 Avant the other day, and gave the A4 a slight edge. I liked the road feel and handling a bit more on the A4 and the engine and fuel economy were a plus, but the Q seemed slightly roomier in the cabin and may have more usable cargo space (I'm thinking of a bicycle). We also have a kid on the way so it may be easier to access the rear seat in the Q for car-seat related activities.

I'm leaning ever so slightly (like 52/48) towards the Avant but assume those of you with the Avant may have cross shopped both vehicles. What caused you to pick the A over the Q? I'll cross post this on the Q5 forum as well to get the other side of the story as well.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I (personally) would rather have the A4 for driving dynamics, looks, and slight edge in fuel economy.

You're right, you won't have to bend over as much when strapping the kids in with a Q5, and it does have more "usable" cargo space (it's taller tailgate opening will swallow a bike more easily, but if you are using a roof rack then I'd rather have the lower Avant roofline). I love how the Q5's back seats have recline adjustment though. Not that I ever sit back there.

I don't think you could have as much fun driving a crossover vehicle like the Q5, but the Q5 cockpit is very nice place to spend your time behind the wheel. Not sure you can go wrong either way.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 06-10-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wanted driving dynamics as well and a manual transmission so A4 + sports pack. Q5 is a suv and I'm not a fan of SUV at all.

Buy what you want to drive, for the bike, buy a roof rack!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default A4 Avant vs Q5

Good question. I really love the Q5, but let's face it. Unless you are looking at a Chevy Suburban, no SUV has as much behind the rear seat room as a wagon. That's why I opted to get an 09 Avant. The Avant also has the NHTSB 5 Star Crash Safety award too.

I also have an 09 S5, which has a very small back seat but voluminous trunk.

I have Audi racks for both the Avant and S5. I have put bikes, snowboards, and a luggage box on top of both cars and they work great. Plus, it'll be a heck of a lot easier getting the stuff up to and off of an Avant vs a Q5.

Good Luck!
Kevin
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends also on your sensitivity to ride quality. I doubt very much you will enjoy that perfect ride and handling balance the A4 achieves. The taller format will mean degraded ride and handling. For me a deal breaker. I have one kid and there is ample room for big stroller mom and kid. However, the Q5 for sure has more room in back and cargo.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove both and decided on the Avant with no hesitation. Much better driving characteristics, mileage, aesthetics, etc. In my case I already own a Chevy Tahoe so adding another SUV to the stable didn't make much sense. I have a 5 year old who's still in a car seat and it is a bit snug with with that seat in the back but I figure he'll be out of that in another year so problem solved there. I've got some Thule racks showing up tomorrow so the bike will be sitting very comfortably on the roof without scratching up the inside. Respect the wagon!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Avant is just ssssssoooooooooooo much sexier!

Kerry
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i did check out the avant and Q5 ... and not having either at this time... if I had to make the call, it would be to get the avant.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you'd ask this question in a Q5 forum, you'd most likely get totally different opinions, but the fundamental question you have to ask yourself is do you want to drive a more sporty, better handling car or an SUV with higher seating position and a more comfortable ride that is also a bit more practical. Do you like spirited driving, cornering, etc. or do you just want a universal do it all vehicle? I don't think that fuel economy is an issue and as far as bike transport, a much better option to cramming your bike inside is a Thule or Yakima rack that attaches to factory roof rails.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know this thread is many months old, but I have a question that I would like you to help me with. Did you all find that the A4 Avant had quite a bit more road and engine noise than the Q5? I love both vehicles, but it seems like while the A4 Avant has more sporty characteristics, it's also quite a bit noisier, with more vibrations from the road too. I wonder if it was just that particular 2010 A4 Avant that I drove, or was this really true for the A4 Avant?

Quick Reply: A4 Avant verus Q5