A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

5000 miles on my 2010 A4 – Observations (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
KSP
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5000 miles on my 2010 A4 – Observations (long)

I took delivery of my 2010 A4 last November: Quartz Grey / Black - Prestige Quattro Tiptronic with the 19” Sport Package, Driver Assist, Shades, Chrome Tips and Audi Care.

I’ve added: 35% Tint, 18” ASA GT1 Wheels / Michelin Alpines (for Midwest winters), APR Flash with 4 programs & 2 options and many of the popular VAG-COM mods.

This is my 3rd A4 (going back to 1999) but the first one I’ve owned with a 4cyl power plant and Tiptronic.

With the 5,000 mile inspection complete, I recently had Aaron Holstrom at Bob Hindson Racing in Kansas City install the APR flash. I’d highly recommend anyone in or around the Kansas City area interested in flashing their cars to visit with Aaron. He is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Aaron took the time to explain what needed to be done and how he was going to do it. He discussed the pros/cons of the flash, the time needed to get it installed correctly as well as the corresponding costs. He did a great job - Aaron (and his shop) exceeded my expectations!

I’ve always been intrigued with the APR flash. Beyond its performance enhancing characteristics, I like its multi program switching ability and optional features. I like being able to switch the program to match up with different fuels as well as the option to switch back to stock mode when you return the car to the dealer for service or want to periodically remind yourself of the difference that the APR flash makes performance-wise.

Owner’s Observations:

Styling is great - lots of looks and compliments wherever I park it.

Ergonomics second to none! The only other car I seriously considered was a 335i. The BMW may have a slightly better motor but it doesn’t even come close in interior design (where I spend all of my time). I just feel more comfortable in an Audi – all of the controls are where I expect them to be and operate in a way that I expect them to.

Quattro – can’t imagine being without it in Midwest winters. With winter wheels/tires nothing hinders this car - It literally runs as well in the snow as it does in dry conditions.

Although I was apprehensive about trading off my 3.0 V6 for a 2.0T 4, I’ll have to admit that I really don’t miss the “6” that much. My old B6 may have been slightly smoother in low RPM and loads, but to be honest, I really don’t notice that much of a difference. It seems to me that the 2.0 pulls away form stoplights quicker and with the APR flash, it has plenty of punch at higher speeds. Click the Tip down a gear or two with the paddle shifters, step on it and the car comes alive with an explosion of smooth power. It’s very cool… in short order, anything that was around you is now simply an image in the mirrors!

What I HAVE noticed with the 2.0 is much better fuel economy; 35.8mpg hwy (from a recent trip to Nashville) and cheaper insurance rates.

I may be in the minority, but I do like and think there’s value to the options included with the Prestige trim. Besides the things that probably should be included in lesser trim levels (dimming mirrors, seat memory, etc), The MMI with Navigation, B&O, Bluetooth, Voice Commands, Smart Key, etc. are awesome. As others have stated in this forum, if you’re looking for residual value, consider your option set carefully. However, if you plan on driving the car for 4+ years (I had my B6 for 8 years) you may want to think again. I like having the options / accessories that I literally use on a daily basis. I don’t like second guessing and/or trying to figure out how to add missing options (after-the-fact) that I could have just as easily included when the car was ordered. The only time that I may regret having them is when I take the depreciation hit at trade in. To me that’s a small price to pay when you’ve enjoyed the car and those additional features every day for 4 or 5 years.

My dislikes are few:

Windshield Wipers - Absolutely horrible performance in the snow and ice. I can’t imagine how Audi engineers released the car equipped with these.

Mid-to-high pitch drone (apparently drive train related) at speeds around 40-45mph. Just a little annoying. It's apparent when I'm driving at a constant speed (not putting a load on the car or accelerating). Doesn't appear to be tire related because when I lift off the accelerator it goes away but comes back when I get back on the gas with light pressure.

All things considered I’d buy the exact same car again in a heart beat.

For what it's worth!

-ksp
Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Nice review. Thanks.

I'm curious... what are some of the cons that Aaron mentioned about the APR flash? These mods seem to yield a lot of great benefits, but I can't help thinking that there has to be a reason that Audi didn't design them into the car in the first place.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 AM
KSP
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by philm35
Nice review. Thanks.

I'm curious... what are some of the cons that Aaron mentioned about the APR flash? These mods seem to yield a lot of great benefits, but I can't help thinking that there has to be a reason that Audi didn't design them into the car in the first place.
The likely suspects... (1) a problem with the install particularly since they have to pull the ECU on the 2010s (sort of like your risk of having surgery), and (2) an Audi dealer flashes over the APR code during some future service work.
With #1; one of the reasons I picked Bob Hindson Racing was that Aaron had done several (4 - 6) of the 2010s. Many APR dealers that I contacted hadn't and I didn't want to be their first. With #2; I plan to discuss the details of any future maintenance work with the the service dept at my Audi dealer before hand - I'll link my concerns to the loosing my VAG-COM mods not the ECU flash (it's my car - not theirs). If I agree to them flashing the ECU because it solves a problem or is safety related, I'll simply have Aaron re-flash it with the APR code afterwords (which he offered to do).
Old 04-30-2010, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by philm35
Nice review. Thanks.

More margin for error. That simple. (If you're into computers at all) it's like overclocking your CPU. A 2.66GHz processor can easily reach 3.5-4GHz when overclocked, but then there is a higher POSSIBILITY of something going wrong. Because of that the manufacturer releases it a a lower, "safer" speed so as to avoid and potential warranty claims. Same with these cars. Like the PC CPUs, these cars are capable of SO MUCH more, but Audi would rather the risks be on our dollar, not theirs.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

You did not mention the new (in my opinion cheap looking) dashboard/instrument panel. I find this so cheap looking I may not get an A4 when may current lease is up. I may get a Q5 since to me it has the best dashboard of all the current Audi's. What are your thoughts on that issue?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
You did not mention the new (in my opinion cheap looking) dashboard/instrument panel. I find this so cheap looking I may not get an A4 when may current lease is up. I may get a Q5 since to me it has the best dashboard of all the current Audi's. What are your thoughts on that issue?
If you're having a tough time deciding on Q5 vs A4, you've got other problems then just the dash issue. They are different vehicles.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am not having a "tough time" at all - I don't think I implied that in my post. A 2011 2.0T Q5 will be very close in price to an A4. For other reasons I see them as realistic alternative choices when I get my next vehicle. I could look into an A5 (except for the ugly dash and silly sunroof), as well as some other brands. I am open to many options in life, no one type of car needs to be "the one" to the exclusion of others. I go with the flow and what strikes me as desireable at the time - but ugly is ugly, that is a constant.
Bear in mind the Q5 is a very smooth, great riding vehicle that in my opinion rivals many sedans in terms of comfort. I also like that the Q5 is shorter than the A4 so it is easier to park. Not to mention the much better interior (dash and seats) and additional headroom (I am 6'3").

Last edited by irenesbob; 04-30-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
No kidding, it looks very cheap. It's the only thing I would change on the interior. The only thing. Want to see it used in even a worst case? Then take a newer A6 out for a spin. I couldn't stand it, and neither could the wife. She actually was dumbfounded by the fact Audi designed it in there. It's absolutely horrible on the A6, imo.

However, realize that pretty much every vehicle manufacturer has now gone to this type of cheap "fake aluminum" on plastic approach. Only reason I can think of is cost. It's not a quality looking item, period. Wish they made the inserts like they did back in the 2000 era, B5 cars. Nice quality chrome on cast metal, also used for the trim around the tip and door handles. What you'd expect from Audi/VW.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I totally agree re: A6. A5's too. Check out the Q5 dash if you haven't already; the binnacle type covering over the instrument pod is very much in the Audi quality vein. I like the straight line seaming on the bottom seat cushion on the Q5 as well. It mimics the A4's sport seats but the extension isn't there to pull out.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Man, you and I are on SO the same page, KSP<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_23967960", true); </SCRIPT> . I could quote your entire review, every word of it. Spot on. Even the part about the 335i. Exactly what kept me from buying that car. They have really messed up their interiors lately.

I also very much agree with your comments about the extra features and most people's approach to saving money on trim levels. I've always selected my cars carefully, and in the process, set myself up to own great quality cars for longer periods of time. I like to drive a car that I actually paid for in full, don't like payments. Therefore, the car is worth more to me to drive with the features I find handy, especially since I'm going to have it for 5-10 yrs. Don't be afraid to get what you want on a vehicle if you plan to keep it for awhile. Hell, just get what you want on it anyway. It's only money, you can always get more.

Quick Reply: 5000 miles on my 2010 A4 – Observations (long)