A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

3k+ Road trip, need some advice :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3k+ Road trip, need some advice :)

From Boston to San Diego in a 2010 A4. Just a few quick questions:

1- Painters tape, or a spray coat? I make the SD-Boston trip 8 months ago, with no protection, and the car had no damage but with my luck this time will be different. Cheaper the better here

2- I got great gas mileage on the last trip, cost only about $450 from one corner of the US to the other. Is there a speed that will help to maximize MPG? Im guessing around 75?

3- I'm in my late 20's and have pretty good stamina, have driven 20+ hours before with minimal breaks (food/gas). I was thinking of going from Boston all the way to Amarillo, TX for the first leg (about 30 hours)...then finishing to SD after a nights rest (16 hours). Thoughts? I know its probably best to make it a 3 leg trip but I'm impatient and cheap.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks
T
Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mid535

1- Painters tape, or a spray coat? I make the SD-Boston trip 8 months ago, with no protection, and the car had no damage but with my luck this time will be different. Cheaper the better here

2- I got great gas mileage on the last trip, cost only about $450 from one corner of the US to the other. Is there a speed that will help to maximize MPG? Im guessing around 75?

3- I'm in my late 20's and have pretty good stamina, have driven 20+ hours before with minimal breaks (food/gas). I was thinking of going from Boston all the way to Amarillo, TX for the first leg (about 30 hours)...then finishing to SD after a nights rest (16 hours). Thoughts? I know its probably best to make it a 3 leg trip but I'm impatient and cheap.

T
1. If you don't want to go for Paint Protection Film, Get some Defender spray and do the front end yourself. You can just leave it on after your trip. It will probably take 2 cans ($40) to do the bumper hood and mirrors. It looks better and will probably do more than painters tape.

2. I don't know the answer on this. Faster = more wind resistance, but there's a sweet spot for the torque curve.

3. Just because you can stay up driving for 30 hours doesn't mean you should. There is something to be said for alertness. Quicker reactions may help you avoid that idiot texting while driving.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mid535

T
My only advice to you is... driving for 30 hours is moronic. Stamina and age has nothing to do with it. If you're that cheap, then sleep in your car. Take your time, get there alive (and hopefully don't kill anyone else along the way)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the advice. I plan on keeping her under 2k rpm at a cruising pace, and breaking it up into roughly 3 15-hour legs. Boston-->Terry Haute, Terry Haute-->Amarillo, Amarillo-->SD.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep a spare coil pack in the trunk. When one goes out, its a pretty crappy limp to a vw or audi dealer.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I would rent an unlimited mileage Chevy Sonic and get 34 mpg on regular gas the whole time and not care about protecting the front of the car, but that's me.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can drive and work all day (and often have to) but I don't push more than a 12 hour day of driving. Even if I feel alert, I get restless, and am more prone to trying to read a quick text or e-mail..or trying to lookup some damn song with Soundhound.

Take a break in the middle. If hotels are a concern, look for Microtels. They are cheap, clean, and all over the place. Usually about $40/night.

I've never done a cross US drive. Would it be better to come across on the 80/90 tollway?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just looked, either route works. 80 is about 70miles more, and the tolls. But I think you'd get a higher average speed across that road.

I've found that the best mileage on my A4 2.0T with Continental ExtremeContact DWS (and APR tune) is in the 73-75mph range. And it's really hard to stay that "slow" now that my Great Lakes area is mainly 70mph speed limits.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Made it without any issues. Kept her at about 78 mph and total gas cost was $430. Stopped once in southern Illinois, again in western New Mexico. First 2 days were 16 hour legs, last leg was only about 10-12 hours to SD. No more winters for the A4!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

Congrats on arriving safely!

The trouble is that the Audi was made for winter and not needed in southern California.

Quick Reply: 3k+ Road trip, need some advice :)