A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

35000 Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DCBKC
I'm in Kansas City so winter weather is somewhat limited, plus I never had any winter driving issues with my front wheel drive Passat.

There is only 1 Audi Dealership in the area, next nearest is Omaha or Springfield which are 2+ hours away. This probably explains the high cost at the local dealer.

Does anyone know of a way to find an independent authorized VW or Audi repair shop?
No such thing as an "authorized" indy shop. There are shops that specialize in Audi/VW service/repair though. Google for Audi, VW or German car repair in your area. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one within a reasonable distance.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default I looked up the special tool....

I recently purchased a 2012 Front Wheel Drive A4. Mileage is a bit high for the age at 33000. The service maintenance light is on and my local dealer said its related to the 35000 mile checkup which entails a transmission fluid check which will cost $1,100. I tried to take the vehicle to an independent mechanic, but they said that Audi requires a special tool only carried by dealers to take care of this issue. An $1,100 maintenance repair seems extremely excessive for a car with such low mileage. Prior to the A4 I owned a VW Passat for 8 years and my only bill >$900 was a timing belt around the 80,000 mile mark. Am i the victim of a gouging dealer or an amateur independent, or both? Please advise.
and it is actually a special system that is used to fill the transmission from the bottom up(underneath the car). Yes an independant shop could improvise, but they would need to see how the transmission sump and fill tube is designed to make it work. After you remove the inspection plug at the bottom of the trans sump, that hole has a fitted tube vertically up into the sump (let's just say 6 inches in height). The Audi system uses a fluid supply hose fitting attached to this inspection hole, the fluid supply container is higher than the transmission. The fluid flows from tht supply container, through the supply hose, to a two valve fitting at the inspection hole, up the 6 inch tube, then spills over into the trans sump (sneaky Audi). The system allows to over fill the sump to where the fluid level is now higher than the verticle 6 inch tube. You then shut off the fluid supply hose valve, and open a drain valve at the inpsection hole to drain off the excess fluid that is above the 6 inch tube for the perfect level.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YELP.COM

I'm in Kansas City so winter weather is somewhat limited, plus I never had any winter driving issues with my front wheel drive Passat.

There is only 1 Audi Dealership in the area, next nearest is Omaha or Springfield which are 2+ hours away. This probably explains the high cost at the local dealer.

Does anyone know of a way to find an independent authorized VW or Audi repair shop?
www.yelp.com and enter your location, audi repair or vw repair... ir has ratings and reviews.

According to 2012 Audi maintenance schedule I don't see the tranny has to be serviced on 35k miles. You may not need it, only thing is spark-plugs change.

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2012.pdf

I used to have a high mileage A6 and the tranny manufacturer recommends tranny service (fluid and filter change) be done between 60k-80k miles. Your one looks way early.

Last edited by bigdadi; 06-08-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigdadi;24452271According to 2012 Audi maintenance schedule I don't see the tranny has to be serviced on 35k miles. You may not need it, only thing is spark-plugs change.

[url
http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi-Maintenance-Schedule-Model-Year-2012.pdf[/url]
You should re-read that. It does indeed say to change ATF.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdadi
www.yelp.com and enter your location, audi repair or vw repair... ir has ratings and reviews.

According to 2012 Audi maintenance schedule I don't see the tranny has to be serviced on 35k miles. You may not need it, only thing is spark-plugs change.

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2012.pdf

I used to have a high mileage A6 and the tranny manufacturer recommends tranny service (fluid and filter change) be done between 60k-80k miles. Your one looks way early.
The OP has a 2012 A4 2.0 front wheel drive which was only offered with the CVT. The maintenance guide shows the CVT AT fluid is scheduled for change at 35K mi. The Quattro A4 8 speed Tiptronic AT is not.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

My A6 tranny service was $350 in Audi specialized indy shop, including drop the pan, change fluid and filter. If just the ATF without the drop pan and change filter & gasket, I think should be less than $350.