A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

328i vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 328i vs A4

Hey guys,

I lease a 2011 Q5 2.0T and love it. I also lease a 2009 C300 Sport that I am looking to replace. I love the styling of the 2012 A4 (the whole Audi lineup is just beautiful) but they are in high demand and not a lot of good lease deals right now according to the guy I got the Q5 from. Also, not sold on the FWD CVT and prefer Quattro but obviously more expensive and in So Cal those are also harder to find. Any reason Audi does not do RWD on the A4?

Looking for some non-biased feedback from anyone on the BMW 328i. I can get a great deal on a 2011 328i (nicely equipped) for about $480 per month with only $950 down for drive offs. The 2012 A4 CVT with P+ and Nav will cost me $540 per month and $1700 down for drive offs. Payments include tax.

All opinions and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry... I now see the "any BMW 3 series defectors?" thread. I'll read through that thread and will post any additional questions.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do not, under any circumstances, get a CVT front wheel drive if you like to drive...it's not an Audi unless it's a quattro.

If it's a money issue, save the cash and buy a GTI instead!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manku
Do not, under any circumstances, get a CVT front wheel drive if you like to drive...it's not an Audi unless it's a quattro.

+1 totally concur.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the feedback. I hated the CVT when I had it as a loaner for my Q5 but I believe it was an '09 so I was hoping something might be different with the 2012.

I assume you would not suggest a GTI over a 328i would you?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boltsfan
Thanks for the feedback. I hated the CVT when I had it as a loaner for my Q5 but I believe it was an '09 so I was hoping something might be different with the 2012.

I assume you would not suggest a GTI over a 328i would you?
AS much as I despise VW and thier putrid excuse for customer 'service', the GTI is, at least, still German made and next year will be available in R20 guise with 260-ish hp, if mempry serves, and AWD standard for about $32k. Manual transmission only, none of that sissy manu-matic stuff I'd be tempted.

Your lease pricing seems off. I leased a 2011 A4 P+ w/Ti sport for $550/month with no money down and Audi Care wrapped in. Bette rdeals are out there, but BMW is infamous for inflating the residuals to drive down the per month lease cost, but then they know they can roll over a 3-year lease return for about $0.50 less than the car's original MSRP to someone with less than stellar credit.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boltsfan
Looking for some non-biased feedback from anyone on the BMW 328i. I can get a great deal on a 2011 328i (nicely equipped) for about $480 per month with only $950 down for drive offs. The 2012 A4 CVT with P+ and Nav will cost me $540 per month and $1700 down for drive offs. Payments include tax.

All opinions and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks!
If the A4 is configured as above, the bimmer is an easy choice. FWD + bicycle transmission (a.k.a. CVT) totally ruin the A4. The 328i, on the other hand, is fun to drive even in the base configuration.

Personally, I would not buy an A4 without Quattro and a proper transmission. The sport package is also a must.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manku

I really hate comments like this...

It is so unlike me to post like this, but I guess it is my rant for the day...
Old 08-20-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sundowner
AS much as I despise VW and thier putrid excuse for customer 'service', the GTI is, at least, still German made and next year will be available in R20 guise with 260-ish hp, if mempry serves, and AWD standard for about $32k. Manual transmission only, none of that sissy manu-matic stuff I'd be tempted.

Your lease pricing seems off. I leased a 2011 A4 P+ w/Ti sport for $550/month with no money down and Audi Care wrapped in. Bette rdeals are out there, but BMW is infamous for inflating the residuals to drive down the per month lease cost, but then they know they can roll over a 3-year lease return for about $0.50 less than the car's original MSRP to someone with less than stellar credit.
Thanks for the feedback.

GTI is not an option. Need a family sedan.

A lease on a 2011 is much different then the new 2012. I dont care what BMW does to the residuals when it comes to selling the car to some sucker 3 years from now. I drove the 328i yesterday and the car drives nice. Not happy the HUD disappears with polarized sunglasses though. Fit and finish not near as nice as the Audi but better than my C300. Not a huge fan either of the 17" BMW wheels as I love my MBs 18" AMGs.

Not sure what to do. Gotta do more research.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with the quattro desirability. I drive all of 50' off road on the gravel driveway at my mountain house, but the rest of the time I am on SoCal streets. The quattro is just more stable and much better feeling than the fwd alternative. I was the last one to think I needed AWD where I live, but the handling of the quattro sold me.

A dealer in Norwalk has AUDI and BMW stores 10 feet apart. Nice for comparing. I did and found the Audi had more interior space and the a/c worked better. It is a personal preference for everyone, but I found the interior styling and driving controls to be better for the Audi. I could live with the exterior of either car.

The BMW was quietier at start up because the Audilift cam selector sounds like a coffee can of lug nuts rattling under the hood for a few seconds. After that I enjoy the technology of the Audilift, and the turbo amps the engine to an incredible 211 Hp! My 1970's 2.0l Porsche had but 95 Hp, and it was fun to drive. The Audi is a blast!

There is no shortage of quattro vehicles in SoCal. Head out to Walter's in Riverside. Shawn will treat you right.

Quick Reply: 328i vs A4