A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2014 A4 Quattro 2.0L needs new motor. Fun Options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 A4 Quattro 2.0L needs new motor. Fun Options?

I just picked up a 2014 A4 Quattro with a 2.0L. The body and interior are in really good shape. The bad part is cylinder #3 has zero compression. Still need to run a borescope on #3 but due to high mileage we were either going to rebuild, buy a long block or source out out a low mile wrecked one. What would be the best route to go but make it a little more spicy while still being a decent daily driver. Its not my daily but will be driven a decent amount. Any company names to look at? Work will be done by me.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

rebuild it yourself . any engine you put in could still have issues

I did mine using all Audi parts bought online and it was a fun project.. chances are its an oil burner anyway and will need new pistons.

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for a non running Audi like that .. i was considering doing one myself after doing mine. even just to flip or give to my son.

Last edited by Airbag; 02-27-2024 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

I would do a rebuild it it were me, search Iceman in this forum who did a rebuild on this platform engine a few years back. Well documented thread.

These engines were notorious oil burners due to design of the piston rings so buying a used engine would most likely be getting you another engine that should be rebuilt before being installed.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
rebuild it yourself . anyone you could put in could still have issues

I did mine using all Audi parts bought online and it was a fun project.. chances are its an oil burner anyway and will need new pistons.

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for a non running Audi like that .. i was considering doing one myself after doing mine. even just to flip or give to my son.
Thanks for the input. I bought it for $2200. I am use to DOHC V8s so hopefully I will be ok rebuilding a DOHC 4. While in there looking at doing a K04 and have a fun little DD.

my only concern is if there is an cylinder wall damage as I see it’s hard to come by bored over pistons. I guess I will take one step at a time.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Pls be aware that many of these cannot be bored, because the cylinder walls are hardened at factory instead of using liners, and boring will leave you with soft aluminum untreated.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GodStang
Thanks for the input. I bought it for $2200. I am use to DOHC V8s so hopefully I will be ok rebuilding a DOHC 4. While in there looking at doing a K04 and have a fun little DD.

my only concern is if there is an cylinder wall damage as I see it’s hard to come by bored over pistons. I guess I will take one step at a time.
that's a good deal ..

i've seen a lot of LSPI exploded pistons in these cars and i have to tell you that the cylinder coating is amazing, id be shocked if you had any cylinder damage,, of course it happens, but the blocks on these cars are quite robust. That was a good deal on that car and worth rebuilding at that price point.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Pls be aware that many of these cannot be bored, because the cylinder walls are hardened at factory instead of using liners, and boring will leave you with soft aluminum untreated.
Not aluminum blocks , they are steel . so they are quite robust
Old 03-02-2024, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So it seems the rings on Cylinder #3 are not good. From the borescope the cylinder walls look good. So trying to decide do I got with stock rings and pistons or go after market with something like the ones IE sells.

the plan is to run the K04 Turbo or if there is a nice step up from that and still keep the car some what daily drivable. Every turbo thread I find is from 2015 or before and the links don’t work.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 322 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by GodStang
So it seems the rings on Cylinder #3 are not good. From the borescope the cylinder walls look good. So trying to decide do I got with stock rings and pistons or go after market with something like the ones IE sells.
If stock means the original early ring and piston design that may not be such a good idea. You need to do a little research to find out when VAG changed the ring design on the motor. If your 2014 uses the earlier design rings which have the oil consumption problem you probably don't want to repeat the problem by replacing with exactly the same OEM replacements. There is a design change to address the oil consumption problem; but, to use the later design OEM rings requires changing other stuff (pistons, rods) and ECS sells a kit with all the stuff necessary to use the later OEM design
Audi B8/B8.5 A4 Quattro 2.0T Engine Mechanical Pistons - 06H107065DM2KT - Oil Consumption Fix Kit (06H 107 065 DM 2KT) (ecstuning.com)

However, you don't want to order that kit until you confirm whether your engine is pre or post design change. No point in ordering the kit if you already have the late design. If you have the late design then one new OEM piston with rings might fix the problem. Of course, all of this depends on what you actually find after completing an engine tear down.

The IE piston package claims to use Mahle forged pistons with a low expansion alloy that sticks to OEM spec clearances. Forged pistons used to have a higher expansion rate that typically required high cold clearances and made for a noisy engine. So you might want to check those details. There is a reason most OEMs use cast pistons. I don't know whether you save any money compared to OEM because IE uses a 22mm wrist pins so you need to purchase the matching IE rods. The 2.0 engine being direct injection is sensitive to compression ratio and the shape of the piston crown. You might want to check to determine exactly how close the IE kit pistons are to matching the original pistons. Unless you really really really know what you are doing you probably do not want to fiddle with the compression ratio on the pistons. Go high and you may turn your engine into a ping monster. Sticking with OEM parts will be safe.

If you are changing turbos, presumably you are some how changing the ECU fuel and ignition maps to match. Once you are in to higher boost levels it might be appropriate to consider actually reducing the static compression ratio on the engine with a revised piston design. Dropping the compression ratio with higher boost levels may be required in order to manage detonation. That will sacrifice fuel efficiency in support of higher power levels and will require fuel and likely ignition re maps.

Last edited by 142 guy; 03-03-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RCPrato
I would do a rebuild it it were me, search Iceman in this forum who did a rebuild on this platform engine a few years back. Well documented thread.

These engines were notorious oil burners due to design of the piston rings so buying a used engine would most likely be getting you another engine that should be rebuilt before being installed.
Iceman is on Audizine .. not here ..

The following users liked this post:
RCPrato (03-05-2024)

Quick Reply: 2014 A4 Quattro 2.0L needs new motor. Fun Options?