A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 B8 Trans Software Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 B8 Trans Software Issue

My 3.2 Tip has been slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear since new. After 3 visits, 2 TSBs and a consult from the regional technical rep, my dealer, and Customer Care say its a known software issue that has been predominantly on 2.0T cars and they are waiting on "Germany" to update the software patch for a 3.2. Anyone have any history/knowledge on this issue, or know how long this might fix might take?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

My car was just in for the 15k service and I was in such a rush to drop it off I forgot to ask them to look into this issue on my car. Has anyone with the 2.0T had this fix?

Can someone point me to the TSB or link them here?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can you describe the issue a bit more in detail please? I'm not quite sure if this has happened to me, although my transmission has been funky at times. Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When shifting from 2nd to 3rd in "D" mode, the RPMs go up 500 to 900 before engaging the gear. It's a bit like driving a manual car and pushing in the clutch while still on the accelerator. Here's a video of the tach, but it's kindof hard to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmQuQwqARQUIt's often more dramatic than what the video shows. Both the service tech and the regional super-tech acknowledged the issue.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kontroversen
When shifting from 2nd to 3rd in "D" mode, the RPMs go up 500 to 900 before engaging the gear. It's a bit like driving a manual car and pushing in the clutch while still on the accelerator. Here's a video of the tach, but it's kindof hard to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmQuQwqARQUIt's often more dramatic than what the video shows. Both the service tech and the regional super-tech acknowledged the issue.
I've never had that happen to me. What I've had trouble with is the gear taking a long time to shift to the next gear.

My 3rd gear will sometimes delay shifting to fourth until the RPM is well above 4000. But it's been reduced by a software update.

Does the car jerk when this happens to you?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm that's not what my car does. My 2.0T just seems to bog a little at around 3,000 rpm under hard acceleration. It feels as though the torque converter isn't fully locked up. Perhaps it's normal but I'll ask my dealer for an explanation.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a 3.2 and after reading your post I tried several times at different speeds to reproduce your issue. I was unable to do so. All upshifts, including 2nd to 3rd do not produce the "surge" in RPMs you exhibit - just immediate drops in RPMs to the higher 3rd gear. Has done this properly since day one. Also, since purchasing my early 2009, I'm not aware of any related software updates performed by my dealer at the 5000 or 15000 mile service intervals, the only two times I've had to visit the service dept. since purchase in Sept, 2009.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks to snagitseven for trying to recreate this issue. I complained to AoA and requested buyback assistance as I've been dealing with this for 3 months and 2500 miles. They basically told me to pound salt and wait for a software update. Then I received a strange call from my dealer this week asking me to come in for an appointment to meet with a regional service manager coming in from Detroit. I asked the dealer what this was about, and they said they "weren't sure." Anyone able to tell from past experience what AoA is up to?
Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone able to tell from past experience what AoA is up to?
Yes, your call to AoA is getting results and merits further investigation. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. The first 335i Sport I bought was a steptronic car and it didn't come with an oil cooler. After 2-3 laps on Big Willow the car went into limp home mode with reduced power etc. The oil had gotten so hot (300 degrees F) that the ECU reduced power to save the engine from major damage. Turns out this was happening to enthusiasts all over the country. I complained to BMWNA and once the ball was rolling I got a call from the head of BMWNA customer relations and a special visit with a regional service manager when he came to town. Ultimately, I had a supplemental oil cooler installed on my car. This oil cooler is standard on all 335i ZSP cars now.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks to snagitseven for trying to recreate this issue. I complained to AoA and requested buyback assistance as I've been dealing with this for 3 months and 2500 miles. They basically told me to pound salt and wait for a software update. Then I received a strange call from my dealer this week asking me to come in for an appointment to meet with a regional service manager coming in from Detroit. I asked the dealer what this was about, and they said they "weren't sure." Anyone able to tell from past experience what AoA is up to?
Sounds like your complaint was passed up the line and was assigned to the regional service manager for further investigation. Have your records and facts ready when you speak to him. There's a good chance your car will have to be left again at the dealer and they will work with factory service people and/or engineers to figure out the problem. I can't imagine it cannot be resolved with this escalation.

You'll have to have a bit more patience though and give AOA a chance to dig into it before you take it further. My experience with AOA is the factory people are pretty smart (well above the dealer level) and they really will want to solve your issue.

BTW, I doubt it's a "software upgrade" that's the issue - if that was the case, I and others would exhibit the same problem as you with the '09 3.2.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-13-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 B8 Trans Software Issue