A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

SUDDEN CLUTCH FAILURE 2006 AUDI A4

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUDDEN CLUTCH FAILURE 2006 AUDI A4

Hello everyone... This past weekend my 2006 A4 quattro's clutch locked up two blocks from my house. The auto has only 33k on it and has been driven by my fiance whom is not a street racer... The car has never had any probs and still under warranty, obviously not the clutch. The clutch never had any symptoms prior to incident, all of a sudden while driving at 30-40mph my I shifted and the clutch remained locked in a pushed positioned. Upon pullingover I noticed a stong "Burned rubber" like odor. I didn't have the ebrake on... I have done some research and have found quite a few identical stories... I received a call initially from audi service saying probably just a slave or hydraulic malfunction, but then after inspecting states the entire clutch is done, "Looks like cheese," was the exact words of service rep... I don't understand how a clutch is finished after just 33k, that is rediculous... Not sure what to do, get a second opinion? I have a local friend that could do it for probably better price, my fiance likes to do service with audi... They want over 1600 dollars for fix... Anybody have any similar scenarios or advise? Would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same thing happened to me right after I got my 2006 a4 with 40,000 miles. I had the car for only a week. I talked to audi they quoted about the same amount as they did for you. So I asked if they could instead put in an aftermarket clutch so it would hopefully last longer, but they didn't like that idea. But after a little talking with them I got them to take out the labor so it was a lot more reasonable. Since then I haven't had any problems. Good luck though
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The same thing happened to my 2006 A4 at about 31K. I was coming off the highway and downshifted into 2nd, when I let off the clutch it didnt come up, it kind of stayed depressed.. as I pumped it with my foot to try to get my car in gear and off the road it came up to its normal position and was then impossible to depress, it was like the brake pedal as far as how it reacted to my pressure....anyway the best part was that my local dealer wanted $3400 to fix it. I told them to go **** up a rope, $3400 for a new clutch is ridiculus...I got a good local mechanic to do the job with authentic Audi parts for about $1600... The reason for the high cost with replacing the clutch (I was told) is that it takes 8-10 hours of labor just to get to the clutch and do the work.... i guess it is kind of luck, and I bought the car at 21K so I have no clue how the previous driver operated the vehichle. I also got my car stuck in the snow and forgot to take off the ESP and like an idiot I could not figure out why my AWD vehichle was stuck.... well i worked it hard for 15-20 min in the snow and smelled this horrible burnt something smell in my car for months... im pretty sure this attributed to my clutch failure....
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SUDDEN CLUTCH FAILURE 2006 AUDI A4

Same thing is happening to me right now. 2006 A4. 36K miles. Original owner. Friends are telling me that they've never heard of a clutch giving out at such low mileage. Dealership tells me 80K-120K miles is average. Does this mean that I have driven the car poorly, causing this problem? I don't believe I've driven the car irresponsibly. I've driven standard transmissions for 15 years. I see at least two possibilities:
  1. This is my own damn fault. I need to enroll in a driving school and pay the dealer ($1650).:
  2. This is NOT my fault. Audi A4 clutches should not wear out at 36K miles. Something is technically wrong with the car.:
Is there anything I haven't considered that I should? THANKS in advance to any who can comment. -Jacob
Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

this just happened to my 2006 A4, I bought it last august and now with 49,xxx miles on it the clutch blew out. Ive been driving manaul transmission since I was fifteen (9 years) and have had no problems at all with this car until one night last week the clutch just gave out and the car wasn't driveable. I had it towed to local audi certified dealer and they say the clutch is completely blown, they have to replace it as well as the pressure plate and clean debris from the flywheel, they want $1,998 to do this. Since the clutch is a "wear and tear" item they wont cover it under the warranty, but there was no wear to begin with, something must have malfunctioned to cause something like this, but the dealer is claiming that I must have downshifted with too high of revs which is entirely not true. I don't drive the car hard or race it around or anything. I called audi customer care division and they said they would see if they can do something to help and I'm currently waiting on a phonecall from them to see what they found out. If they can't do anything then I'm going to order the parts and fix it myself with a couple of friends, the only bad thing about that is that I'm probably going to have to eat the $470 they charged to pull the tranny to see what was broken. I'll try to keep the story posted here in case it helps anyone.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It seems like 5 owners has the same B7 clutch failure within 50K miles. I'm really concerns since even with CPO, the dealer doesn't even want to cover it, instead they are asking ~ $1500 to fix their own issue. Mine is getting close to 46K now.

Please post report if you have experienced the same clutch failure issue, we should make it a recall or TSB.

No clutch shouldn't go out within 50K miles under normal daily driving... Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does anyone know there is a recall on the 2.0T clutch?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think AUDI has a problem with QUALITY CONTROL. I hear of so many intake cam shafts failing at low miles, and then i hear of people who have the original shaft with lots of miles(as mush as 100k); like myself. I have
45K on my 06 B7 and had the shaft checked the other day and it was perfect....so i was told. But i haven't had any problems with it. Could this be the same with the clutches?? My clutch is also original and seems to be fine; it engages perfectly. They should do a better job making sure that every part is within plus or minus 5% of perfect(100%).
Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Shaggy Dog?

It sure seems funny to me that all these noobies who just joined the forum are all posting about mechanical problems with their cars.

They have had these cars for 2-3 years, never posted, then suddenly all have the same problem.

It boggles the mind.

Of course, everything you read on the internet MUST be true...
Old 02-14-2010, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BuddyDog
It sure seems funny to me that all these noobies who just joined the forum are all posting about mechanical problems with their cars.

They have had these cars for 2-3 years, never posted, then suddenly all have the same problem.

It boggles the mind.

Of course, everything you read on the internet MUST be true...
Actually, I got my car used and picked up only a couple months ago. So maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions....Oh, and by the way, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and a certificate in Hydraulics. So if I want to discuss mechanical problems I will. Given my background, I think I know a little bit about things work.

*You shouldn't judge people if you don't know anything about them or their situations. But what do I know you're a senior member so you MUST be right.

Quick Reply: SUDDEN CLUTCH FAILURE 2006 AUDI A4