A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

question for AWE

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for AWE

i just got my pump rebuilt but im a bit concerned. its on and off but i would like to know why? wheni start the car, the rpms drop a tad bit lower then raise a bit higher than normal, then everything is normal. when i let off the gas while still in gear i get a hard jerk when i let off instead of decrease in pedal. those are minimal, my main concern is that sometimes (i have a boost gauge), it will not go past 13 pounds, other times it will. i feel as it spudders a bit aswell. there are no codes yet, but i thought id ask you first. my friend who is a tech at audi installed the pump so i KNOW/almost 100% sure it had to of been done right because if not well then im afraid id have bigger problems. lol. i know this isnt normal, there a break in period until these symptoms go away?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If this was my car, with a part this sensitive/important, this would warrant a phone call to AWE

or at least a direct email, not a forum post.

Just sayin...
Old 03-10-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

its 11pm my time so i thought id post this for now until tommorow
Old 03-11-2009, 05:14 AM

Sounds like a software incompatibility issue. We'll respond to the e-mail you sent us.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i spoke to a rep at AWE

he said the same. i called up my APR dealer and they said they have to upload it with a newer file. im just hoping that this file cures the problem. The guy said he doubts it but if it doesnt, good bye APR..suggestions will be on the table...as for Todd, i appreciate your fast response. Thank you..
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keep in mind our software will protect the car when there is a hardware fault....

I'm not saying the AWE pump is causing your problems but keep in mind this is a very sophisticated ECU that will do any and everything to protect your vehicle. APR absolutely does not disable safeguards which may be why you are seeing abnormal boost issues. There are thousands of routines that will protect the car when there is a hardware issue that may be damaging the system. Limiting boost is a way to protect the engine.

We have thousands of users using upgraded fuel pumps with our software without any issue. Since software does not change over time and since you just started expereiencing this problem after installing the AWE fuel pump, logic would lead me to believe there may have been a problem during the install.

Have you checked for fault codes? Are there any? Can you post up the codes? Also if you have vag-com, can you check block 32 and list out the fuel trim percentages?

Do you have access to another pump, oem or modified, that's in known working condition? I'd suggest first checking over you install, making sure everything is plugged in, torqued down correctly, lined up correctly, reattached, etc. If all that checks out, I'd suggest swapping the pump, resetting all adaptations (you can do this by clearing your DTC's even if you don't have any) and driving around for a day or so. See how that checks out. Check the rebuild of the pump or call up AWE/send it to AWE for instillation verification. The slightest leak or user error can wreak havoc on the system, so work with them to make sure everything is up to their specifications.

Lastly, if another stock/modified pump works on your vehicle, try swapping your pump to the other vehicle and see how it reacts over the next few days.

At any rate, lets hope it's something simple! Let us know what you find.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Default I totally disagree.

Software that is not made for the extra fuel delivered from a HPFP can indeed cause drivability issues as the actual feedback the ECU sees is different than what it was programmed for. These drivability issues vary from software to software brand.

As you can see from the post pierranchis made below, he is not running pump specific software.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i will check and see if there are any

hidden codes again. i dont have a vagcom yet, going to soon though..it would be obvious that after the pump install i got these problems but the pump could have not of been put wrong because although it comes with instructions, any other way will not allow the pump to piece up and put back. if that were the case im sure a cel would pop up and undriveable. however software could be the issue. i spoke with apr and they said i need the pump file. im going to get that installed afer work at 515pm.
the pump was installed by an audi tech so i know we are good with the install. i will try out the pump file seeing that i need it regardless and keep everyone posted. i will post results tonight..thanks for the 2 cents..
Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You wrote all that and didn't even ask if he was running a HPFP file?

pierranchis, you might still notice drivability issues while mixing and matching pumps and software from two companies. Slight variations in their pumps would create the expected outcome. Unless you can account for those differences, I wouldn't be so keen to say "it runs well enough". (not if you like your engine)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default so what would you recommend? 50$

gets me the hpfp file. so thats my first and most logical choice. if the condition gets better and not perfect, i was thinking about either switching to giac or revo, where their tunes are a bit more aggressive and would probably fit better with the pump, chances are giac hence they work with awe. i just saw ATP released the turbo kit for our cars and i am heading that route, i have someone in mind to custom tune it when i switch but right now, seeing that these are bolt ons, shouldnt require such serious efforts therefore i dont want to push a custom tune so soon..

Quick Reply: question for AWE