A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Oil filter housing 5mm bolt stripped

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil filter housing 5mm bolt stripped

Sure want to cuss right now but I was going to change the gaskets on the filter housing and oil cooler and one of the 5 mm allen bolts is stripped from someone else having this off before so i'm dead in the water. Not sure why they used allen head bolts but as soon as I seen that I knew it could be trouble. The screwy part is the oil cooler bolt are 6mm but they used a smaller 5mm for the housing. I use to have a set of snap on bits you pound into a hole and it would grab but I think I sold them. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can get an extension with a torx bit close to the size of your stripped bolt in there and tap it in it should remove the allen head, I have used this method many times when the allen is stripped out.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes a cheap torx bit from HF did the job but now the last top bolt that you cannot get to because of the brackets are in the way might be stripped too. The bolts that hold the bracket on are also stripped. Nothing but round holes. I can get to the last bolt barely but all it does is skip in the hole because I'm not getting it straight on. A ball end allen head would sure help. One day job has turned into royal pain.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

dog and all:
Yep those cheap-*** VAG fasteners!

They:
  • strip
  • bend
  • chip
  • twist off
  • round off
  • round out
  • lose threads
  • cross thread
  • burr
  • gall
  • rust
  • warp
  • powder
  • stick
  • wobble
  • stretch
  • seize
  • and snap
Otherwise they are of fine quality.
I don't know how many times I have replaced VAG fasteners....then threw those bastards out into the woods!

haha....
Haya....

Last edited by Hayabusafalcon; 06-01-2023 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You might try a long triple square bit, the twelve sided bit and find a size that fits tight or you can blast it in there with a hammer, I would also try and get some penetrating oil in there around the bolt to help loosen it up and pop it out. Last resort is to get an easy-out bit in there, they may have a long version to dig out the bolt. Yup the VAG fasteners suck,they corrode and rust easily over time, especially when engaged in aluminum componentry.
Good Luck
Old 06-01-2023, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes a triple square is what I used to get the first stripped bolt but could not get a good angle on the last top bolt. The hoses and brackets where in the way and the bracket bolts are completely stripped. Whats odd is the housing was pretty loose even with the one bolt still in it so it didn't seem like it would be that tight. I got the triple square to bite real good and put some twist to it but it wouldn't break loose and eventually stripped. I put it back together with a new oil cooler gasket for now. This isn't my main car just a toy.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's been a while but what have you done to rectify the issue? I thought I stripped that same darn bolt too (one on the top right). But I remained calm and sane and ended up removing the hard line from the thermostat to completely clear way, even then it was limited space because that bolt is angled up!
Old 03-14-2024, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes it does throw you off because you think the bolts are straight on not at an angle. Taking the throttle body off gave me more room and getting the 2 bolts off that where stripped that hold that bracket on helped also. What I didn't realize on the first attempt was the filter housing bolts also has a hex head that don't strip like the allen head bolts.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Blasted cheap Allen bolts.

Replace with stainless steel Allen bolts. STAINLESS STEEEEEEEEL.