A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Manual transmission issue...need advise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual transmission issue...need advise...

My '06 6mt is NOT shifting well at all. I'm not hard on this car at all and it's not modded in any way.

The issue is getting the car into first gear when cold and into second gear at all. The issue is also getting worse.

When the car is cold, first gear requires extra force. Often when I come to a stop, first gear requires a pull into second, then back into to first. Without this maneuver, it feels like something is blocking the shifter from first gear. When the car warms up, first seems fine.

The major issue is second gear. The issue is worse when cold, but there all of the time nonetheless. When shifting from first into second it's VERY hard often giving a crunch noise. Even shifting very slowly (taking 2-3 seconds to complete the shift), the shift is VERY rough.

I've read many posts where some have a similar issue in third gear and called it normal. This sure doesn't seem normal to me. As a matter of fact, I'm going to say this transmission is by far the worst manual I've ever owned (and I owned a '89 Mustang GT for those that know).

I complained to my service advisor at my 5K service. I now have less than 7K on the car and it seems to be getting worse. Should I force them to fix it? I realize this will mean a new transmission, which I don't like at all. This issue is bothering me so much, it's making me want to get rid of the car.

Any advice?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did the service crew actually look at it?

I had trouble with getting into first when I first got mine and I had my dealership look at it. They weren't able to duplicate it, but they tweaked it anyway and the problem has mostly gone away now except for when the car is cold. If they won't even look at it for you then go to another dealer because that's just poor service. My dealer said he would also note that the problem was reported early on so that if it got worse down the road there was a record of it.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Default I really don't know if they looked into it or not. But...

I really like the service guys a lot at this dealership. They have been flawless with everything else. I had a bad brake on the front and I told him how I wanted it handled and they did it against Audi's rules. They are also extremely nice and very professional.

Anyway, that's why I complained to them about it. I wanted it on record early in the game. All I can say about it is that their comment was that "the only way to fix the transmission would be to replace it". I don't know if that's true or not in this case, but the thought is a little scary for me.

Do you have any idea what your dealer adjusted?

Oh yeah, the best thing about my issue is that there's no not duplicating this issue. Second gear is really bad now.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They didn't say what they tweaked.

I know on my B5 this was also an issue and it was the shift linkage they adjusted on that. And that fixed the problem perfectly in that car. Replacing the tranny sure sounds extreme to me, esp. since it seems like A LOT of new Audis seem to need shift linkage adjustments. But maybe the fact that 2nd gear is a problem is a sign of something else? I've only ever had troubles with 1st. But it was the exact same "blocked" feeling that you are describing, and when it happens I back the shifter out of 1st, swing it towards center/neutral, and then go back and that usually does it. Occassionally I'll have to declutch to make it work.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Default I know a lot about Audi's, but not enough about manual transmissions. I never considered it a shift

linkage issue.

I guess what I'm saying is that the service guys were quick to say if it's the transmission, all we can do is replace it. I'll call and question them tomorrow with the idea that maybe it's the linkage.

I'll post back what happens.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Manual transmission issue...need advise...

I guess that normal. When the transmission is cold, there is nothing you can do.

I own 97'& 01' miata and most people think the miata has the best shift amoung all cars. Well.. try them when the transmissions are cold! Once they warm up, the transmission shift like butter.

In summary:
95 honda prelude
97 A4 1.8TQ
97 miata
99 Forester
01 miata (6 MT)
07 A4 2.0TQ (6 MT)
.. they all have the 1st & 2nd shift issue when the transmission is cold.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Again, second gear is NEVER good, cold or warm and getting worse. If it was just when cold, I'd

live with it.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It doesn't sound like mine is that bad, but mine is generally 'tight' shifting into second gear

I notice that, in cold or warm weather, second gear is always tight - not by any means that its stuck or won't go in, but that i just need to pay a little extra attention to make sure I pull back perfectly straight into second gear and that im not overly forceful.

i talked to my service department about it awhile ago after about a month of ownership, and they said its common. The service manager drove my car and did a thorough check of the tranny and said nothing is wrong. then let me test drive 2 other manuaul audis and they all felt the same way.

but, like i said, mine doesn't sound near as bad as yours. as someone else already said, if your service department isn't doing anything about it, you should go to another dealer to get a second opinion.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Why not just get them to replace it?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:45 AM

Default It scares me to have them swap out the transmission. Mostly because you just can't seem to get

these guys to do the job right. I have a thing about letting other people work on my cars. If it wasn't under warranty, I'd be doing it myself (that's how **** I am...to a flaw).

In this instance, I have no choice. The car is going to be tainted to me, but I am going to push the issue. I scheduled an evaluation for April 5th, at which time they are going hear my bad side if they don't sign up to replace the transmission. I'm leaning towards bad syncros as the cause.

I sure hope things go well...

Quick Reply: Manual transmission issue...need advise...