A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Looking for serious input on two cars, no flames please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for serious input on two cars, no flames please...

Save me the "it's your decision" and "you're the one who has to live with it" comments. Also, I know this pole will be skewed due to the nature of the forum. I am just looking for serious, honest feedback from everyone, and insight in case anyone has owned both.

Essentially, I have a choice between the following:

08 A4 Avant 2TQ Tip - Spec Ed, Prem, S-line, Titanium, Nav -- loaded except rear sides & Bose

08 G35 rwd - Prem, Sport, Nav, Sunroof -- loaded except for lit door sills.

Both are effectively the same price if I take the cash from Infiniti. Otherwise, G35 is higher sticker, but offers .9% financing.

If it were your money, what would you do and why? If you've got any past experience with either or both, that would help too. Again, I don't need anyone's side comment bs, just some friendly and insightful feedback. TIA.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Default wagon or a sedan (not coupe)...

My bias is toward the wagon for these reasons:

1. quattro for snow/mountains
2. versatility for sports
3. sporty as in anti-suv/mini van

Now to me the G35 is sporty but more like BMW sporty - different because you don't put 'sports' on the roof or dogs in the back.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:06 PM

Default The A4, but I am biased since I just picked up a 2008 A4 yesterday.

Being in Canada I viewed the quattro as a must, though there is a AWD version of the G35 presumably it would cost more than the one you're looking at.

I drove both, and though the G had lots of power, the driving feel just wasn't the same as the German cars, and I much preferred the Audi interiors.

I know several co-workers (all non-car types) who own G35's and they are very happy. I think it comes down to what you think will make you the happiest day-to-day, not (relatively) small cost difference between the two.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default agree

IMO the two biggest differences between the cars you listed are: versatility and practicality. I think the G35 is pretty hot, as far as a sports car goes, but the Audi wagon is going to be able to carry more and handle inclement conditions better.

I chose an A4 wagon because I wanted something that was going to feel sporty, look good inside and out, ferry mountain bikes and snowboards on top or inside, and be dependable on snow. Sports-car performance wasn't as big of a factor for me.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:46 PM

*ONLY* get the G if more power is your goal. The Audi wins in just about all other categories.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default With the sport package remember the G will have staggered tires

So make sure you have a good tire budget since you will be unable to rotate the tires.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am a fan of the G35, but I do have a B7 sedan. I would go more towards economics....

If the financing offer is better on one of the vehicles I would go that route. Cars depreciate so damn fast it is borderline stupid to buy a new car (raises hand as I bought a brand new car last year, shoulda went the CPO route). Also, which car holds its value better? I know Audi is not great in that department.

If you are in an area that gets snow then that should affect decision also.

I am a big fan of the G sedans and coupes, I think they are very nice looking cars. I am not a huge fan of the Avant, after all (like my wife says) it is a station wagon.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans comment

You've already decided to go to an auto trans. My problem between the two would boil down to this:

Drive them both and notice the difference in kick-down power. The G35 does typically Japanese smooth, instant downshifts. No offense to anyone that likes their Tip, but I think Audi automatics suck, especially with the small turbos.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:36 AM

Default Thanks for all the input guys...

Yes, I was talking about the G35 sedan, not the coupe. With my available time these days, snowboards and mountain bikes have taken somewhat of a back seat. We don't get a lot of snow in Texas, but we do get some freezes and a good bit of rain. My B6's Quattro has always kept me confident.

Yes, I do want performance, which the G35 delivers more of, but I also want safety and utility. We just got the wife a Tahoe in May, but she's in sales, so she already has 18K on it. If she decides to get a car next, then we'd be screwed with two sedans. I do agree that the Tip leaves me wanting compared to the G though.

As far as depreciation and cost of ownership, I checked into Edmunds' version, and the G actually costs $900 more over 5 years due to gas and insurance.

One thing I have to keep in mind is that I get the $500 kick from ACNA, so that counts for something (~1 month free). I'm going to drive both again today and see if there's a clear winner.

Thanks again for your input and lack of flamage.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Looking for serious input on two cars, no flames please...

i was always a fan of the g35..but i has to be a coupe not 4dr.

Only real thing the g35 has going for it is, its quicker and rwd. Like said above...audi wins all others.

Quick Reply: Looking for serious input on two cars, no flames please...