A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Headlight problems...assistance please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problems...assistance please.

Hi folks, it looks like my passenger side Xenon headlight is on it's way out (flickering and dying occasionally). Has anybody replaced the headlight before and how much does it cost? I'm not afraid of installing it myself so any online parts retailer that people can suggest would be great. It's a Bi-Xenon HID with adaptive lighting control....and yes, I know it's not going to be cheap...;-(

PS, I don't think it's the bulb, I think it's the ballast that needs replacing, but the Hi-Beam on that side is dead too, so a replacement is in order...

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Ballast?

Nick,
Did you ever solve this? I think I have a bad ballastin one of my adaptive light units that will need to be replaced...

George in Nevada

Originally Posted by nickstock
Hi folks, it looks like my passenger side Xenon headlight is on it's way out (flickering and dying occasionally). Has anybody replaced the headlight before and how much does it cost? I'm not afraid of installing it myself so any online parts retailer that people can suggest would be great. It's a Bi-Xenon HID with adaptive lighting control....and yes, I know it's not going to be cheap...;-(

PS, I don't think it's the bulb, I think it's the ballast that needs replacing, but the Hi-Beam on that side is dead too, so a replacement is in order...

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi George, I've still not replaced it as recently it has been behaving itself...I was quoted by the dealer about 1200 dollars for a new headlight unit (one side) and almost fell over when I heard the price...If I could find an online retailer of the correct part then I'd probably have a go at replacing it myself, but so far I've come up short...

Cheers,

Nick
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default head light replacement

Hello, like you i had a right headlight that was flickering while i had car in for belt change i had dealer swap bulb from right to left side and confirm that problem was bulb as left side would flicker and die. I ordered 2 bulbs online and replace both, job took just over 2 hours for both, now no problem.

2006 A4 2.0Q
Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue with both of my headlamps. Constant "headlamp dipping errors" where I turned the lamps off then back on. Both lamps would come back on. I dealt with this for 2 years and finally had enough. I took it to the dealership and they wanted $1688.00. I said, no thanks and ordered the ballasts from ECS tuning and had an independent audi/vw shop replace both of them for $880.00 ( parts and labor for the pair ). Note: You don't have to remove the front bumper to repair, so it was only 1.0 hour labor.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Guys, I've got one light (drivers low beam) that is definitely not as bright as the passenger. I actually replaced both bulbs, only to find that they are the same as before, passenger bright, drivers not so much. Does that sound like ballast or igniter? any thoughts please?

K9
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update! Had the offending headlight looked at and it turns out the bulb was defective. Replaced and all is good! Kudos to Pure Motorsports in San Diego for the troubleshoot and quick fix!