A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

General Audi Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default General Audi Purchase Advice

I'll try to keep this short. I'm in the market for antother vehicle for myself this time. I've got a 2001 sierra and I just inherited a tacoma with 20K miles on it. I plan to get rid of the sierra and get something car/suv/wagon. Thats where my problem lies. I've never really owned a "car" I've always had trucks because I raced motocross and I'm not too sure what would work for me now. My wife and I bought an 03 A6 2.7t for her a few years ago and we just love it. So I've been looking at S4, A4, A4 Avant, 2.0t, 3.2, 4.2 and I still have some other makers I want to try too but so far I'm really leaning towards another Audi. Of the Audi's I've tried the last few weeks.
S4 - Looks great, motor is right on, gas milage is pitiful at $3.80 a gallon, seats not comfortable, ride stiff might get old

A4 2.0t s-line - Looks great, gas mileage, ride was a touch stiff, turbo lag might not be that fun to drive, trunkspace?

A4 3.2 - Looks great, gas milage not sure?, ride is good, motor is sub par compared to 2.7t

A4 Avant - Looks nice, Not sure if the wagon is that much more storage space?

We will probably try to find something used with a few thousand on it and would like to keep the price under 40,000.

Can anyone offer some shopping advice?

Others that I'm considering if it helps
VW Toureg
Cadillac
Infinity G35, M35

David
Sacramento, CA
Old 07-27-2006, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thoughts

2.0T, fun and tunable
3.2, nothing sub-par, very smoothe and strong
Avant, different shape, similar space, very cool

When I first drove a 2.0T with a 6-speed, I ordered one. After having it for a year, I enjoy it just as much. Maybe more. It is a very satisfying car.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

You're the first person to say that the S4 seats are not comfortable.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default As I stated in my post

I only drove it once. I thought they may be a bit snug for me in the hip and sides. I surely will give it another try before I buy. I rode amateur motocross for about 18 years and I've got a bad hip on my right side and I weight about 225 now. Maybe that is why? or I'm just used to the seats in our A6?

David
Sacramento, CA
Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Thoughts 3.2

You think the 3.2 is as strong as the 2.7t?

from my experience, the 3.2 is not in the same ball park. I wish it was though!

David
Sacramento, CA
Old 07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what i do with an avant....

...surf, snowboard, hike, triathlons, etc. the avant is ideal for all that stuff. i can get all my gear and hold 2-3 people (including myself). motocross... obviously a bad choice for the avant, but it sounds like you have that taken care of with the tacoma.

i used to have suv's until i realized that i very, very rarely needed all that vehicle and that 95%+ of what i did was better suited to an avant, WHICH drives waaaaaaaaaaaaay better, gets waaaaaaaay better mileage and is a whole lot more fun.

i know you know this, but comparing an avant to your other vehicles (toureg, caddy, etc.) is not exactly apples to apples.

i should point out that i have an allroad, but am switching to a a4 avant i think; although there is a tiny possibility i will get another a6 avant. if you want a bit more room you might want to consider those.

oh yea... the infiniti is a piece of crap. i looked at it before, but it has almost no useable interior space, the all-wheel drive sux and it chews up gas like a truck. real nice interior in my opinion though.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:41 PM

Default the 3.2 has less torque and it peaks further down the band than the 2.7t.

That's probably what you are feeling. The 3.2 is definitely smooth though.

The advantage to the Avant isn't necessarily the cargo space, but the big *** opening. My last A4 was a sedan and had a huge trunk that would only fit a bunch of little things. All of the big stuff had to go in the back seat.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: what i do with an avant....Thanks!

Your post is very encouraging. Thanks. By the way, I'm done with motocross now that I'm 38. Now I golf alot and do a little car racing. I think the avant would work well for golf and such like you mentioned.

David
Sacramento, CA
Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Cargo Space

Was that trunk a problem when you had the sedan? Would you buy a sedan again or do you find the avant is easier to live with having the big open space?

David
Sacramento, CA
Old 07-28-2006, 04:17 AM

Default AR to A4 Avant

I went from a 2003 AR to 2006 A4 avant great move the AR was a smoother ride and a bit more room. But the A4 has a sprortier mroe nimble feel to eat and way better milage. If you want the power get the S4 with the 4.2 which is quicker than the AR

Quick Reply: General Audi Purchase Advice