A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Audi A4. learning manual transmission Help!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4. learning manual transmission Help!

Hi everyone. I love my a4 manual I just bought, but I'm new to MT and am struggling to go from a standstill with the clutch. It's a '06 manual A4 2.0T. With 50k miles. The clutch feels soft vs a older B6 manual I drove which was heavy and required plenty of pressure. I can feel the catch point about mid way from the pedal to fully up, but maybe I'm releasing it too quickly and not giving gas fast enough. I keep stalling I just love everything else and know once I get past this hurdle I'll be in driving heaven. I've mastered reverse in which basically just holding slow on the clutch will move enough to back out. But getting out into first gear is such a struggle for me. I know it's only day two driving but the stalls are very embarrassing. I just wish while slowly releasing the clutch that it would be more forgiving if not enough gas was given. I'm terrified into running into someone's rear so i don't want to launch forward like a rocket is this clutch overly sensitive? I feel that the times I've done it right from a standstill that it required a lot of focus any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Last edited by mezonesxbox; 04-19-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Day 3 update lol

Since it's quiet here my results from practice, definitely to get out of first gear you have to have a steady left foot and hold that thing as you slowly come up and feel the gas matches take off speed or as I call it "when in doubt hold the darn clutch in until your confident car is rolling safely to avoid stalling. Truly that "seasaw" motion in practice as you perfect marching your desired take off on the accelerator to the realease in the clutch. Coming from a auto my left foot is atrophied and to drive manual you gotta have a good grip on that left foot to master slowly removing the clutch. You can do it! Well, "we" cause it's only my day 3 everything else is such a joy. Now to not "ride" the clutch I feel it's ok to stay on 1st and keep the clutch and brake in as long as it's a quick stop and go. Long stop lights, it's best to go into neutral. And from my understanding riding the clutch is more of holding the pedal even a little when the car is well beyond in motion. The act of pressing or constantly pressing that pedal is not riding it as long as you release it once your done with take off "seasaw" motions getting out of first or changing gears. And if you feel it's stalling, more gas is always better but again "STEADY" even release of the clutch is key. Steady... Firm and as close to in sync with desired take off acceleration.

Last edited by mezonesxbox; 04-20-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Learning a manual clutch in one of these cars is frustrating.. Best tip to learn the clutch pick up point is to keep your foot right away from the gas pedal, and only use the clutch. The engine will prevent itself from stalling if you are easy with the clutch. Let it out slowly and consistently.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've got a 06 A4 manual and love it. Using the stick is like breathing. I'm sure after enough practice you will get to the same point. Good luck.