A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Car starts but doesnt stay running.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts but doesnt stay running.

I just ran into a problem in which my car starts but then sputters for a couple seconds and dies even when i gave it gas. After giving it some time its back to working as it was before, still with the rough idle. Anyone know what it is? My first thought was a bad PCV but i dint want to go replacing things blindly
Old 03-18-2024, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It sounds like a fuel issue to me.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

+1 on what kdt says. Fuel filter clogged? Moisture in the fuel? Gimpy in-tank fuel pump?
Good luck and let us know what you find. Haya....
Old 03-23-2024, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jblancoreyna
I just ran into a problem in which my car starts but then sputters for a couple seconds and dies even when i gave it gas. After giving it some time its back to working as it was before, still with the rough idle. Anyone know what it is? My first thought was a bad PCV but i dint want to go replacing things blindly
Sounds like you need to replace your Crankshaft Position Sensor.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Confusing

If it were either of those wouldnt it happen, every time i start the car? At random times it’ll sputter and die but after 10-15 minutes its fine and runs fine for a while till it happens again.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, it can be. There two sensors that can trigger similar symptoms; the other is the Camshaft Position Sensor. But it can also be your coils or fouled up plugs. When's the last time you look under there? I had the exact symptom twice last year and I replaced the parts in this order (also because they are old and needed to be replaced):

New PCV (Genuine)
New Plugs (Genuine)
Ignition Coils (Genuine)

Car runs so MUCH better...but...that issue with "car starts but then sputters for a couple seconds and dies" incident happened one more time.
This got me thinking to be either the Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) or Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKS), so I decided to replace the latter when I did my Oil Filter Housing. I also replaced the two accordion hoses that connects to the PCV valve (one back to the Oil Filter Housing).
I'd check all of them if I were you and look for leaks or anything that looks abnormal, if not then chances are one of the sensors mentioned above.

Note: all the other parts listed above (a few more not mentioned) are routine maintenance items that I decided to do even before I had the 'stalling when starting' incident. But since this is a good way to start pinpointing the problem, I replaced them in the order listed above. crossed my fingers but so far my car runs like new now, and got better gas mileage than before!
Old 04-01-2024, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I replaced the spark plugs and coil packs a while ago and I’ve driven about 5k miles since then and just did a pcv delete since it was already bad. I ordered a new lower pcv hose and have been waiting for it to arrive. Im about to pull the engine and trans to replace all the gaskets and the cracked oil filter housing I’ll probably replace the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor since they’re pretty cheap. I’ll update on how it goes however that might not be for another month or so.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That sounds good. These sensors have a tendency to go bad over the years due to heat, and when they do you'd often get intermittent problems and mediocre performance, making one think it isn't a big issue, but it is and you'd be surprised just how much better your car performs after replacing them.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Jbl

Check this out. Haya....

Oil filter housing reload - AudiWorld Forums

Old 04-01-2024, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you so much for this Haya, this definitely saved me some time and headache i wouldve run into when installing the filter housing and hose.

Quick Reply: Car starts but doesnt stay running.