A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 08-05-2016, 10:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 B7: How to Replace Air Filter
Print Wikipost

APR vs GIAC vs REVO software comparison with datalogs and dyno charts

Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have some new stuff coming out, but at the time just the one program
Old 02-21-2006, 05:25 AM

thanks for the excellent write-up
Old 02-21-2006, 05:49 AM

Default As a former dynotuner, my first impressions

Looks to me like GIAC had some difficulty getting the car into open loop, hence the lean condition and lack of torque/power at low RPM.

This is pretty much what I expected overall in terms of data.

Revo was a little more aggressive with AFR and boost and subsequently had to run a little less timing. I'm surprised they are leaner than that magic 12.0 AFR number for non-normally aspirated cars.....they are a little on the lean side.

APR runs a little fat (per these charts), but looks like no issues getting into open loop in a timely manner.

The high boost number of REVO would usually indicate a nice low EGT, however they might be surpassing the efficiency of the turbocharger and they also are running a leaner AFR, so I wouldn't just assume that.

I was on the fence with REVO and APR, but I think this helps solidify my decision: APR

It is obvious some serious thought went into this tune. I'd like to se it a few points leaner in AFR, but such is mass-market tuning, it needs an added safety built in.

Good writeup, things like this are hard to keep short.

How did you feel about drivability, smoothness and part throttle feel?

Did you log EGT's at all?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Why increase timing when there is already retard in all 4 cylinders?

Exactly, if it pulls it all out, what's the use?
It often results in less power.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:57 AM

Default Excellent! Thank you for your time and effort!

Wow, I am truely impressed by how APR tuned 2.0T. It has solid AFR, Timing, and Boost.... They have all I was looking for 11:1 AFR on open loop, timing which advances toward the top-end, and boost curve that utilizes the tiny K03 hybrid to its max pontential.

They weren't kidding when they said they knew Bosche ME9. It just shows how much R&D APR performed. 2Thumbs UP!!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interesting. If I read this correctly...

When in stock configuration (OEM software) on all three separate dyno runs the car performed or returned the same HP and torque figures.

When I look at the GIAC chipped car, there is hardly if any HP gain and the torque curve is not showing any gain and in fact shows a loss. Not very impressive!

Now when we look at the REVO file, the torque curve shows a positive gain and on the HP side it shows a small gain in the lower RPM range but actually shows a bit less top end HP or peak HP. So basically you get more torque with REVO but it is a toss up as far as HP is concerned. Better than GIAC but not great.

Now the APR file shows both positive gains in HP and torque and seems to be the best choice of the three by far.

AM I missing something here? To me the clear choice at this stage is the APR software.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:27 AM

great work! thank you!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is it the customers job to know what to set SPS at?

Its not on the website, and even the Revo dealer had to call Revo to find out the information. Thats just stupidity.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default *shrugs* why should A3 APR owners have to deal with sudden drops in power, flashing CELs and misfire

codes?

Same with why should GIAC owners have to deal with this less-output chip.

All part of the game.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: APR vs GIAC vs REVO software comparison with datalogs and dyno charts