A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

A4 vs. 325i

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AvantB8
what about the 325 that the OP was asking???
Except for the Z4 3.0 blowing the A4 3.0 away - it is about the 325 - I only mention the Z4 to compare engine size. 3.0 to 3.0

I am not familiar with the 1.8 or 2.0 Audi engine - I would expect since they are turbo there is some power

My 325xi has a 2.5l & is automatic, it is in my opinion, slow on excelleration. The A4 3.0 automatic will kill it 0-60. But the handling of the BMW is much better.

While the wife was raving about the superior ride comfort in her A4 compared to my 325xi one day, I took an exit ramp at 40mph & smoked all 4 tires. I then looked over & said Ya but it's not a BMW. My 325xi can take the same exit at 50mph & could more than likely push it a little more.

Now don't get me wrong I don't want to knock the A4 - I like the car & it's the cat's meow if we're going on a long trip. But after putting the Z4 away for the winter, I need something that affords a little more sprited driving.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by p2ayc
Except for the Z4 3.0 blowing the A4 3.0 away - it is about the 325 - I only mention the Z4 to compare engine size. 3.0 to 3.0

I am not familiar with the 1.8 or 2.0 Audi engine - I would expect since they are turbo there is some power

My 325xi has a 2.5l & is automatic, it is in my opinion, slow on excelleration. The A4 3.0 automatic will kill it 0-60. But the handling of the BMW is much better.

While the wife was raving about the superior ride comfort in her A4 compared to my 325xi one day, I took an exit ramp at 40mph & smoked all 4 tires. I then looked over & said Ya but it's not a BMW. My 325xi can take the same exit at 50mph & could more than likely push it a little more.

Now don't get me wrong I don't want to knock the A4 - I like the car & it's the cat's meow if we're going on a long trip. But after putting the Z4 away for the winter, I need something that affords a little more sprited driving.
I believe that A4 Cabrio and Z4 are totally different class of cars (Z4 goes against TT).

The 3.0L 325i I just sold would beat 3.0L A4 in any performance category.

Looking at the current models 3.0L 328i vs. 2.0T A4 is much closer contest, other than 0-60, I would still give slight edge to 328i.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=AvantB8;23873971]I believe that A4 Cabrio and Z4 are totally different class of cars (Z4 goes against TT).

I agree that the A4 Cabrio & Z4 are a different class & thanks for the info on the 328 - That was the info I didn't have but felt was true - That a BMW 3 series 3.0 would be more powerful than the A4 cabro 3.0

And while TT & Z4 are classed together I have to give the performance edge to BMW again, based on my encounters with TT drivers
Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AvantB8
Here is my stab at it:
I just sold the 2006 325i 6MT ZSP, and am expecting the 2010 A4 Avant Delivery.

Comparing B7 A4 and 325i is no brainer -- 325i wins in every measurable category. THe engine performace, RWD, transmission, handling, etc is on the Bimmer's side. In 4.5 years of ownership (got one of the first ones), I had absolutely no issues, except...

The one thing I trully hated were the RF Tires. Horrible quality, duration, comdort. The performance was good. They are expensive, and it is risky to replace them with the regular tires since there is no spare...

Speed-wise, 0-60 is IMO the least of the important parameters. Though, I clocked my 325i numerous times at 6.5s with DCT ON. But as someone mentioned, you can easily chip the 2.0T, and probably cannot do much (without big $$$) to the N52 engine.

Looks are very much subjective. In my case, I do agree that the Audi (B7) looks better inside and out, but again, the inside of the Audi may be too busy for some, and the inside of the Bimmer may be too plain for others...

Price-wise, the advantage is on Audi's side. I don't believe the resale value is as good as the Bimmers, however, I have seen the prices all over the place. I purchased my Bimmer for <$34k (tag and tax included), sold it last week for $20k.

So, that was the B7 vs. E90.

THe B8 A4 is a totally different story and would definitely suggest you to consider that one too. Complete improvement in EVERY sense -- Engine Performance, stability, handling, braking, inside and out... Chooseing between, lets say, 328i E90 and equally equipped A4 B8, I'd probably go (again) with the Audi...

Good luck!
Run Flats ??? Carry a can of fix o flat & an air pump & get ride of the things. Poorest performer on the car.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by p2ayc

the a4 cab is not really a sporty car. the 3.0 engine puts out about 220 hp or so, but you have to remember that audis are usually heavier than bmws and the cab is usually the heaviest out of the series weighing in at over 4000lbs. now compare that the 06 325xi that weighs under 3500lbs and you see how the power to weight ratio comes in

to the OP, if you compare the b7 a4 to the 325i its a pretty close match. out of the box the bmw will handle better as rwd cars (especially bmws) handle more neutral as opposed to audis which tend to understeer. although im sure the 325xi has more understeer than a regular 325. performance wise the 325 has 15 more hp but about 20 less ft-lbs of tq... but awd systems suffer from a higher parasitic loss from the extra diff in the drivetrain. so it really depends if youre comparing the a4 to a 325i or 325xi.

the other important question is what area of the country do you live in? do you get regular snowfall in the winter?

personally, ive always thought audis had a much better interior and ive always been a fan of the subtle/ understated/ classy exterior. And you know that everyone and their momma has a bmw. i like to have something that is a little more rare. also, i wouldnt like to be stereotyped as a bmw owner. sure the audi may not handle as well as a bmw but how often do you push your car hard enough for it to make a difference. in the many years ive owned an a4 i was always satisfied with the way it drove. it always felt very solid and planted and not to be "cliche" but yes, it felt like it was on rails. and if performance is that important to you, there are many aftermarket options that can make dramatic changes since its a turbocharged car. you can get a simple chip upgrade for more power, if you want better handling you can upgrade your sway bars, get shock/ spring combo or coilover, upgrade the differentials... and those are all fairly inexpensive mods

bottom line...before you make your decision you should go test drive both cars and see what feels best for you
Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I made the jump to BMW *runs and hides*