A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 07-22-2016, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

A4 B7 Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 B7 Power Window Problem

Hello all!
I have a 2005.5 A4 Avant and the driver's window will not go down - worked just fine and all of a sudden, stuck in the up position. Push or pull the switch and nothing, no sound no movement. No other symptoms or noises that might indicate window channels, window motor, etc. All the other windows are fine. Any ideas on what it is? Switch? How about cost to get it fixed? I can do it, just not sure I want to :-)
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_Rotorhead
Hello all!
I have a 2005.5 A4 Avant and the driver's window will not go down - worked just fine and all of a sudden, stuck in the up position. Push or pull the switch and nothing, no sound no movement. No other symptoms or noises that might indicate window channels, window motor, etc. All the other windows are fine. Any ideas on what it is? Switch? How about cost to get it fixed? I can do it, just not sure I want to :-)
Thanks!
Say CO_Rotorhead, the Old Dog is going to suggest trying something that I am not sure will work or not as I've never tried it myself. My daughter's Bimmer used to have a window problem and their solution was to insert their key into the driver's door and turn to the left I believe it was and hold there to open all the windows in one shot.

If Audis have the same setup and all your windows go down, then at least you could rule out a motor problem which may leave you with just a window switch/wiring problem. Worth a shot maybe.

Let me know what happens, if anything.

Good Luck
Old 09-09-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

audi's do have the same settup but only as long as its activated by vag-com. I had to personalize it myself to get it to make all the windowns go down with my key. What I would suggest is get that vag-com option enabled and what it does is allow you to bring down all the windows by holding the unlock button on your key. Do that and see if the windown goes down, and if it does go down, theres a problem with your switch. If it doesn't go down, your windown motor is probly fried. Audi's are retarded for windows man, my driver side window is fickle sometimes to where it doesnt go all the way up and then falls down half way. Here is a link to be able to enable the window option with vag-com,

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...om+walkthrough
Old 09-09-2010, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by makav3li
audi's do have the same settup but only as long as its activated by vag-com.
Thanks for expanding on this makav3li. More oft than not vag-com has a hand in many things somewhere along the line .
Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FYI, the OLD DOG way works without programing. If you only want to test the motor, just insert the actual key(the old fashion way) into the driver's side keyhole. Turn to unlock the car and hold it ..... all 4 windows should come down. The opposite also work if you need to close all windows + sunroof.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone explain to me how to make the windows go up and down from the key? My a4 don't have that function. How do I add it?
Old 09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3Vil_twin
Can someone explain to me how to make the windows go up and down from the key? My a4 don't have that function. How do I add it?
Well 3Vil_twin, after posting my comment on Sept 9th I finally got off my a$$ to see if this function worked on my 2007 A4/B7 2.0TQ . Sure enough, after inserting my key in the driver's door and turning it counter-clockwise and holding it there for a couple of seconds, all the windows went down. Then to put them all back up I turned the key clockwise; again holding it in the extreme clockwise position for a couple of seconds.

Now, I have never had anything vag-commed on the car and I am the original owner after buying it as a demo about 2 ½ years ago. So this leads me to believe, right or wrong, it should be a standard feature.

Will we use it now that I know about this feature? Only time will tell. If so, probably only on a hot summer day to quickly air out the car.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CO_Rotorhead
Hello all!
Thanks!
Anything new to report CO_Rotorhead?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes...the plot thickens. Seems that all electrical to the driver's door is inop. Door locks and switches for other windows work fine - just not the switch for the driver window - but all the other lights (including the door courtesy light - both the red and white) as well as the other red lights for the various switches and so forth. So before I VAG, I thought I'd see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:55 PM
I can fix it but good

Perhaps the door wire harness came unplugged - investigate!

Quick Reply: A4 B7 Power Window Problem