A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

A4 2.0T tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 2.0T tip

hey all, this is my first post and i'm thinking of getting an audi a4 2.0 a/t. what's still putting me back on getting is the reliability issue. everyone says audi isnt that reliable, but just how and to what extend is it? what are some of the problems i'll be expected to experience thru out owning the car.. i plan to keep the car over and past warranty..so reliability is a major issue for me.
also, i've seen couple threads talking about vibration during idling at traffic light, and slow (non-responsive) at stop to go..like a 1/2 delay with the car just sitting there.

i really want to be an owner of an audi..but just need to make sure what should i be expecting.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default reliability worried me too

so I went ahead and leased in case it turned out to be problematic then I could walk away from it otherwise I can buy it out at the end. I've only had it for 3500 miles so can't comment on reliability but so far so good. FWIW, Consumer Reports rated Audi as the 12th most reliable car company for 2007. BMW came in 19th and Mercedes was last at 36th or 37th. No vibration here btw.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: A4 2.0T tip

My B5 was 130k miles when I sold her. Engine still running strong and no sign of buring oil. I redline her all the time. I did have stage 1 chip on her.

My C4 was 153k miles when I sold her. Seem like the engine will run forever.

My B7 is 2 months old. So far no problem at all.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi has improved in the last 3 years. No need to worry like once before.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Working on better info

Both forums and CR can make reliability seem more problmatic than it actually is. Generally we're talking about odds of having a major repair, not the number of repairs.

TrueDelta's results will make this much clearer. I appreciate the help this forum and its members have been providing.<ul><li><a href="http://www.truedelta.com/reliability.php">Vehicle reliability research - need more Audis</a></li></ul>
Old 04-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Elder Member

Default Who is "everyone"?

I'm on my second and third Audis right now and can honestly say that there have been no major problems on any of them. &lt;knock on wood&gt;

Even the much-talked about coil pack problem of the B6 managed to miss my B6 Avant.

In the five years of Audi ownership and over 80,000 miles combined on all three, I'd have to say that they are no less reliable than any other cars that I've owned in the past.

What you're reading about regarding the Tip hesitation is not a bug, but a feature. That's how they work. It can be improved with an ECU program like APR's, but stock, you'll have to live with that. It isn't broken.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:45 AM

Default endorsement (big surprise on an Audi forum.....)

I sold my 2001 1.8T to a friend a year ago, and we're still friends. I think a bad sensor was the only unscheduled repair that car has had, and it's at 80K miles (including two track weekends). The biggest problem with the 1.8T was it didn't like to miss oil changes, especially when using natural oil. When using synthetic on or ahead of schedule, very reliable.

My new 2.0T 6MT has only 13K miles, but no issues whatsoever, and I don't expect any.

From my research, Audi at least matches BMW on long term reliability; it's Mercedes that has - surprisingly - had some issues the past few years.

If you're still nervous, get an extended warranty - try Warranty Direct.

And who the heck is this "everyone" you've been talking to??? :-)
Old 04-17-2007, 04:05 PM

i'm looking to get a new 2.0t here shortly if that makes your feel better
Old 04-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Default best car I ever owned (er leased)

I have only 5000 miles on my 2007 2.0t Q AT.
I love it.

My 2004 I put nearly 45000 miles on. Only
problems were wear items. Brakes, lightbulbs.

I had NO unscheduled repairs the whole time I
owned it. When it was in for more than a day the
dealer would give me a loaner.

the 1.8t w Quattro and Auto was a bit slow.
The 2.0T is quick. slow sometimes to spin up
the torque converter, but she goes. If you lease one and can get the 24 months. You will not be sorry. I was going to look at Infiniti G35 but didn't bother. I knew that I would get another a4. Such a great all around car.

But you gots to lease them you-ro-peein cars.

Before my 2004 A4 I had a 1997 saab 900SE 2.0T 5sp.
the car was pretty. the motor was torquey. The handling sucked !!!! It went bad on me w a lean
condition in one of the cylinders. I spent so much money on maintenance on that car that I wish
I had leased a new one. would have been cheaper.

Having owned, Alfas, Audis, Jaugar and Saab cars.
I have concluded that newer European cars are better leased. I don't mind dropping $500-$1000 into my GTV6 because it is a rare car. but pumping thousands into a new Euro car is foolish.

lease baby lease.<ul><li><a href="http://jacklinguini.blogspot.com">Jacks Blog lots of pics of Alfas Audis and Porsches</a></li></ul>
Old 04-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Get it...you will be so happy!

Quick Reply: A4 2.0T tip