A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Windshield Washer problem - It's NOT the fuse or pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield headlanp washer

I don't know if you fixed your problem but check the o rings in every hose connection.
Originally Posted by A84Nate
It's winter here in Utah and I hate it. This state is way to zealous with salting the roads which requires me to clean my windshield of the road spray that clouds the glass. My problem is that my windshield wiper system is rather anemic.
Here is what I DO know:
- It's not a blown fuse because some fluid sprays but it doesn't clear the wiper arms
- It's not a worn out pump because I can hear it working
- It's not an aiming problem because the fluid does not hit the hood
- It shouldn't be a clog because both jets (driver and passenger side) allow fluid to pass and I stuck a pin in there to be sure
- It's shouldn't be a leak in the reservoir or a hose because there is no smell when in use and there is no pooling of fluid anywhere.
- And yes, there is plenty of fluid in the system

I have STFA for someone with a similar problem but they all turned out to be either a blown pump, fuse, or a clog. My guess is that there is a pinched hose somewhere that is hindering the fluid pressure but I don't know where to begin to find it. Does anyone know what needs to be removed in order for me to trace the washer lines to locate the problem? Pictures and good detail are greatly needed as I tried to tackle it on Thanksgiving and I turned white after removing the plastic cover in the engine bay. Not a quick and easy job I'm guessing. I'd take it in to a shop to fix it but they would probably charge over $150 to do it.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by takis56
I don't know if you fixed your problem but check the o rings in every hose connection.
After thinking I had the fix, the problem is back!!!!! Replace the fuse, everything works great, but in a short while, fuse is blown! I geuss the fuse is doing what it is supposed to do? However, the pump works great, normal for a few uses, then it blows. I have also noted the fuel gauge doesn't work right when the fuse is blown. Reads very low, even when tank full! Does any one know why? Is thers a common connection or wire that shorts out? Or is the fuse blowing the common symptom of a bad washer spray pump?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

it has to be a wire that shorts out. go to a shop to check it if you cant do that. Its not related with a bad pump..if the fuse is blown it does what its supposed to do. I dont think that a shop will charge you for a check, and even if they do it will be a small fee. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vali_podaru
it has to be a wire that shorts out. go to a shop to check it if you cant do that. Its not related with a bad pump..if the fuse is blown it does what its supposed to do. I dont think that a shop will charge you for a check, and even if they do it will be a small fee. Good luck!
So here it is!!!!!!!
The washer spray actually uses 2 pumps. One for the windshield, one for the headlamps. The headlamp spray seems to be on a delay, and may only operate when the headlamps are on. Fuse 37 operates both! So while I proved the windshield washer pump was fine, the headlamp spray pump was bad, causing the fuse to blow! Audi actually issued a service bulletin in 2005, then reissued service bulletin in 2008 reccommending change of the washer spray pump and also to replace the 20 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse!!! To prevent recurrence !!!!!!!! Real answer: bad pump design and inadequate power supply!!!!! I'm surprised to just learn this now!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The headlight washer pumps do sometimes corrode and eventually fail. At least they are not too expensive to replace. Also can be unplugged, not sure how effective they are anyway.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know this is an old discussion but I am hoping someone is still watching. I have a similar problem with my windshield washer pump. The problem though is that the pump works fine in warm weather but when it gets cold it won't work or only sends a very weak spray. I can hear the pump working and is does send come fluid but doesn't even hit the window. The Audi that has this problem is an 01 A4 quattro.

Any thoughts on what would cause this?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fuse 37 was a fix!

Originally Posted by harrybottom
I know this is an old discussion but I am hoping someone is still watching. I have a similar problem with my windshield washer pump. The problem though is that the pump works fine in warm weather but when it gets cold it won't work or only sends a very weak spray. I can hear the pump working and is does send come fluid but doesn't even hit the window. The Audi that has this problem is an 01 A4 quattro.

Any thoughts on what would cause this?
Both my pumps did not work, and I found out fuse 37 was busted, as was suggested previously. After replacing, all pumps worked OK. I only used the 20A fuse, someone suggested using 30A.