A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Whining noise coming from drivers side rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise coming from drivers side rear

Hey guys i'm new to this forum, and also to owning a audi. I got my 2002 Audi A4 quattro 1.8 AT last week. I've been driving it around alot and so far everything is great. However i've recently started to hear a whining noise coming from under the car near the rear tire on the drivers side. The only thing i can think of is the fuel pump... Is this a big problem? does anyone else have this noise? I need some help guys Please!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok, so i found out that the fuel pump is on the passenger side...what could this be? any ideas?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Rear wheel bearing?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jimko
Rear wheel bearing?
It does it when i'm in park, sometimes it'll go in and out, and then louder or quieter.. I don't know if something is vibrating under there..when im moving it will sometimes do it and sometimes not.. I don't know....
Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think the fuel filter is close to the driver's side rear wheel. I'm not saying that the fuel filter is making the noise but a clogged fuel filter will make the fuel pump run harder causing high and low noises trying to pump gas at a defined flow. Just a theory...
Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

And another theory.

Exhaust. When it is making the noise, take a rag and push on the muffler and see if it stops. I had a broken exhaust mount that I wouldn't describe as a whine, more of a buzz but that's semantics. One shot from a welder at the muffler shot and all is quiet.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yea it is more like a buzz. like something is vibrating. I'm going to try that to see if that helps it. Thanks man
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like the exhaust to me. It could be a heat shield also. I know when i took down my exhaust to put my neuspeed one on i noticed i had a broken hanger. Its located on top of the center muffler. You cant see it when the exhaust is on the car. Just thought i would mention that. The fuel filter is on the passenger side its in front of the rear wheel. It would be a good thing to change took me 15 mins to change.

Ryan
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok cool, thanks for the help. I'm going out to the car to see if holding the exhaust will stop the noise. If not i'll be back on here for more suggestions..
Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same problem with my 2002 Audi A4. It seemed to me like it was the exhaust and I asked the dealer this morning to simply make sure that it wasn't just a matter of attaching it more securely. They told me "trust me, it's the fuel pump, we see this all the time." A few hours later, they called me, said they were hearing the sound in the shop, and said that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. They're doing it now. I think it cost something like $650.

Quick Reply: Whining noise coming from drivers side rear