A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Went in for 45,000 mile service today - My thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went in for 45,000 mile service today - My thoughts...

Obviously apart from 45K service, I told them about:

1. Glove box - broken hinge. Service Advisor recognized the problem without even opening it saying she can see the Glove box door not sitting flush. Fearing they will just glue it together, I still opened it and showed the cracked hinge inside.

Will report if they replace the door or just glue it.

*UPDATE* As I was writing item # 3 below, dealer calls to say they decided to replace the glove box door. Good news indeed. Will report if the part is the same or if it was improved.

2. Wiper blades - I requested to replace them as there were streaks already. Denied. They said it wasn't covered and that I would be charged $90. I said no thanks.

I called Audi Customer Relations to inquire about it and they confirmed that it was NOT covered. Hmm. This is a cheap item online, so Euro blades here I go. $90 at the dealership for normal blades, yeah right.

3. Peeling issue - the Advisor shut me out on this one and immediately said although she feels this should be covered, Audi has denied them to replace it. As much as she sides with me, they won't honor it anymore (at least that's what I'm led to believe for Rusnak Pasadena.)

4. Squeaking noise in front near suspension - Although this has been discussed here numerous times and has been pointed out to the rubbing brake pads against the calipers, I wanted them to continually check this issue before the warranty expires.

We had to road test the car for a few minutes so they would believe me. Of course they were able to replicate what I said it would do. When the dealer called just a few minutes ago to report to me the status of the car, they are only going to begin to investigate the suspension.

I also reported a popping sound in the front, left. Sounds like the springs are out of place sometimes. I remember they tore apart my front suspension before and they may have not put some piece back properly. I didn't bring this up anymore as it would be hard to prove something like this. But crossing my fingers that when they pull it apart today, they may eventually find a cause or even assemble it properly.

5. Brake fluid - I requested to replace it. Advisor tried to look at me for a few seconds and was about to ask why, so I continued explaining that the service booklet says it should be replaced every 2 years.

So from a defensive view, she was now at my side even stating that it's good I read the service booklet because most of their customers don't do this or ask them why it's being done. Scary to hear this from an Advisor because now I'm thinking not all the cars are being properly maintained. And when the time comes to change the brake fluid, it's old and now at the cost of their customers.

(BTW, if you read this far which I'm guessing maybe only 1 of you did...there was an A3 that came in for 45K service. What year did those cars come out? Wasn't it just introduced last year? And I thought my car was the most used Audi in SoCal. Now an A3 has won. He must be having fun, though.)

The end. Really.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:23 PM
jwj
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Went in for 45,000 mile service today - My thoughts...

I'm not sure what year Audi stopped the full maint. service but if your car does have the 4 yr 50k service and warranty, your wiper blades are included.
Also, changing the brake fluid every two years is correct. She needs to read her manual and it should be converd too.
They never would have glued glove box, (maybe I shouldn't say never). But this is an issue. Mine broke, but over 50K. It opens and closes fine, just at a faster rate!
As for your front brake pads. I hated those pads. I changed, (crossed drilled rotors and SS brake lines) with a set of good semi metalic pad, (dustless) and brakes work much better and no squeeks. Not a warranty issue, but not that expensive as those front brake pads wear like iron.
45K for the A3? Doing pretty well, I drive 40K per year. Yep, I read the whole thing!

Thanks,

John
Old 10-03-2006, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fvck Audi for denying the peeling issue! they act like it's the consumer's fault!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ha ha. Tnx, Joh, for your thoughts and info (and for reading the whole thing)

Anyway, that's what I assumed about my car since it has the 4yr/50K service and warranty. I mean, wiper blades are a cheap thing but if it was included like brake pads they should keep their word. But since I was even denied by Audi Customer Relations, I didn't push it anymore since at least the Glove Box was replaced with a new one.

As for the front brake pads. I'm sure they won't find a thing about it since I doubt they would pinpoint it to those at all. So when the brake pads wear, off to aftermarket. I guess I could only afford Stop Techs in the future...the far future.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know. I guess some dealers will still honor it to their loyal customers.

As for me, it's just starting so by the time I start fighting for it. It would be too late since I will be out of warranty in a few months.

Touching the buttons the first time felt really classy above the plastic buttons of Japanese cars. But knowing this would happen at our cost, I would have gladly wanted them to just manufacture it in plastic as well than coat it with rubber that would look even more awkward when peeling and expensive to replace in the end.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was lucky to get mine eventually replaced, but fuming over AoA's response
Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Default My dealer always takes care of peeling.

my service rep said they won't do it on VWs but they will on Audi. so far i have had my window switches, headlight switch (twice), radio, and other nick nacks replaced under warranty.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:21 PM

Default I've been to the dealer on two occasions to address the same problem with my clanky rear brakes, and

neither time did they fix it. Just say, "Brakes meet spec" or something to that affect. Now I'm about to run out of warranty (49,6xx), but it's such a pain in the *** that I just gave up. Supposedly it could be fixed with a simple lube, but they quoted my brother's gf like $800 to fix it as it requires complete disassembly of the rear brakes. Oh well! I can't believe they switched the maintenance program so that it costs like $500 or $600 now. I mean honestly, could they get any cheaper?

Oh oh, I read the whole things too!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I guess I'll try another dealer before I hit 50K.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

mine too. no arguments at all.

Quick Reply: Went in for 45,000 mile service today - My thoughts...