A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

From the TT forum.. Need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From the TT forum.. Need some advice!

Hey guys. Hope all is well in the B6 forum these days. Well, after only 6 months of ownership of my 01 TTQ coupe, i'm almost fed up. (dont get me wrong i love the car) so far i've had a temp sensor fail, i've had to to a boatload of maintenance to keep the car moving, and within the next 10k, i'll need a timing belt, new MAF and possibly a new cluster too. I was thinking about trading my TT for something a little more reliable, and it seems that my friend's A4 is a little more reliable... I was thinking about the 3.0 platform (so i wont be tempted with engine mods hehe). but i want to know, (coming from literally a trap for reliability) are the B6 A4's more reliable than what i'm seeing? Lots of people having problems? Just doing some research before making any solid decisions. Thanks a ton guys!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The forum gets far more complaints posted from frustrated A4 owners, compared to ..

the infrequent posts describing satisfactory reliability with no major issues or problems.
There are many problem free A4 B6 Audis, but happy owners seldom post that fact. I have had a few little probs with my A4, but overall, the repairs have been nil. I don't expect my Audi to be problem free, it is a complex high performing car, and will have something go wrong at some point.
If I wanted a better certainty that there will be no reliability issues, I would get a Toyota transportation appliance.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I went from a Beetle 1.8T to A4 3.0 for the same reasons>

and so far my car has been excellent as far as reliability.

My beetle was pretty reliable, but with all the mods I did, it needed constant attention. I had boost leaks, hoses popping off, the wires to the coilpacks had broken insulation causing misfires.
I was probably responsible for causing my own issues, but that was part of the "FUN" of modding the car.

I went for the A4 3.0 so I wouldn't mod it, well maybe only a little, and it's been great so far.
I've only had it 13k miles (51-64k) and it drives like new and hasn't missed a beat.
I've even tracked the car 2 times and it ran flawlessly.

If you go for one, make sure you find one with a service history, and a good aftermarket warranty is also a good idea.
A 6-speed with sport package would be what to look for IMO.
They're fun cars, not nearly as tossable as a TT, but with a little suspension work, they handle extremely well and are very comfortable for daily use.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be a man, and drive an A4
Old 01-09-2007, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i totally agree with you. but i worry if my car will start most days

then im concerned with my MAF fails, and my coil packs are on their way out, and im worried that my TB will break (which happens on the AMU engine) and the list goes on. I know what you mean tho.. thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 3.0 is the most reliable but all audi's are going to need some kind of maintenance...

You're cars 6 years old. The suspension bushings are understandable. The MAF - Do you have a K & N filter? The horn and the cluster are not common problems from what I've seen. I think you can get reman MAF's at ECS tuning for like $80.00. If you like the car, keep it. But if you just want a B6, nows a good time to get out b4 the TB job especially. But don't expect perfection from the B6 either.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default All of those things you mentioned aren't the end of the..cheap easy fixes. Plus

your TB is just a maintenance item. Don't let other people's paranoia affect you. As diag says, there are many, many more Audi's out there performing well than not.

It's like the news, you just hear about the worst on the forums.
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well step into my office. As a 3.0 owner I will tell you that after 4 1/2 years and

66k miles of ownership I have been extremely pleased with my A4. Aside from an Ignition Coil failing on me, a fan motor failing and my driver's power seat motor failing (all fixed under warranty) the car has been great.

The have been a couple of people on here (MB The Body, Cyberpmg) come to mind that have had more major issues. But they are two of many who have not had issues.

My only complaint from a performance standpoint is that I wish it had more under the hood and that it was a tad quicker off the line. I have a Tip and have riden in a few 6 speed 3.0's so I know that the Tip tranny is what causes my frustration in this department.

If you are not planning or do not want to mod the engine the 3.0 or 3.2 B7 is the A4 for you. Your only true power upgrade on the 3.0 is a PES G3 Supercharger that will run you approx. $6K with installation. It does offer some very nice power gains though. If I had the spare cash burning a whole in my pocket I would get one tomorrow.
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks a bunch! im seriously considering.

and a beetle is almost the same car as a TT... same chassis!
AudiWorld Uber User

Default If you're looking for reliability, I'd skip on Audi altogether.

Not saying that the B6 is completely unreliable, but it will have its share of problems.

Quick Reply: From the TT forum.. Need some advice!