A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Timing belt or Crank position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt or Crank position sensor?

I recently purchased a 2005 A4 3.0, manual trans for my son. It's had a ton of problems, but I expected that. Most recently I replaced the fuel pump cuz it had been setting for over a year. Got it running and went for a drive...things were going well until I was coming to a stop and the rpms slowly went down, CEL came on and the car shut off. No major sounds of damage or anything, just died after running perfectly for 20 mins. I've been unable to get it to start ever since. 2 Audi tech buddies of mine came and listened to it crank/no start. Starter just whines, no audible compression rhythm. Both guys said "oh that timing is jumped". I looked at the timing belt and it looks new and is very tight. Before ripping it all apart with that diagnosis I was wondering... Couldn't my symptoms be the result of a bad Crank or Cam position sensor? If the Crank sensor is bad the ecm won't ask for spark or fuel leading to a Crank no start...right?
. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated because, as of right now its stuck on my street and Im afraid the neighborhood will start complaing. Thanks again for any help...

JR
Old 05-13-2023, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 86 Posts

If you crank and there is no sound of compression and just a constant whine of the starter then you’ve bent valves. If the belt is old, the teeth can strip at the crank and the belt won’t move. To confirm if it’s stripped teeth, have someone crank while you look at the timing belt. If you see the belt moving, do a compression test to confirm what you already suspect as bent valves.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you so much. Definitely not the news I was hoping for. I will check that this morning. Also...would a scan from the dealership determine if any sensors are bad, even if the car is not running? I'll let you know what I find on the timing belt. Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2023, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get a scan tool cheap. My 3.0 water pump pulley bearing went bad and messed up timing. I also was leaking water.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
If you crank and there is no sound of compression and just a constant whine of the starter then you’ve bent valves. If the belt is old, the teeth can strip at the crank and the belt won’t move. To confirm if it’s stripped teeth, have someone crank while you look at the timing belt. If you see the belt moving, do a compression test to confirm what you already suspect as bent valves.
So I got battery charged and I'm getting "cam position sensor- short circuit to ground-lower limit not reached. This is on all 4 cam sensors. Also getting a "Power relay -ECM-PCM open circuit, no communication" code. Any ideas. A couple "low voltage" issues too...battery is tired.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 86 Posts

Have you done a compression test? No sense in doing anything else until you’ve confirmed compression. If there isn’t any, you will either have to pull both heads and rebuild/replace them, put a new motor in, part it out or sell it as is. If you do have compression then you can carry on diagnosing the problems but until that point, don’t waste any more time.

Last edited by Cybersombosis; 05-15-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
Have you done a compression test? No sense in doing anything else until you’ve confirmed compression.
Absolutely. It's pointless scanning sensors when the elephant in the room is compression, or possibly lack of it.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
Absolutely. It's pointless scanning sensors when the elephant in the room is compression, or possibly lack of it.
Yeah so I finally did the compression test...the needle didn't even move! So now looking for another 3.0 engine. Shouldve listened to you guys from the start. Thank you very much!