A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suspension ?

i am at the time, where my stock oem sports need replacing (56k miles). i want to spend as little money as possible. should i just replace w/ a new set of OEM sport shocks or is there a better option for my money going with some aftermarket shocks?

Also, what all needs to be replace to get my ride to feel like brand new again?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious......I have 65K on mine....can you share reasons why you say you need your shocks replaced?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Curious......I have 65K on mine....can you share reasons why you say you need your shocks replac

it could be a combination of me getting used to my suspension. but it does feel bouncier and body lean seems to have increased. I test drove some 335i's over the weekend and its was so much more solid suspension wise. My girl also just bought a 2.5 jetta w/out sport suspension and her car seems to handle corners a lot smoother. how long are my shocks supposed to last?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor

Default Invest in some new shocks.

Consider a set of KONI Sport shocks. You'll get the added benefit of a lifetime warranty. The ride KONI's offer will be firm, yet very comfortable for daily driving. I highly recommend these as standard replacement shocks, and have nothing but great results with them.

With only 56k your control arms should all be in reasonable condition still, but in another year or two you might start looking into replacing them to help freshen up the suspension.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

should i get control arms installed when i get my shocks installed to save money?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have an 02 and was wondering.....

as well about what shocks people have upgraded to. I have a set of Neuspeed Coil Springs in the basement but have pretty much decided not to put them on. I have an 02 1.8t at 63k with Quattro and Sport suspension and as we all know they sit fairly low compared to most other year models. Ideally, I would like it to be about an inch lower but will probably just add shocks. I can feel the car has gotten a little bouncier lately. I have been thinking about the Koni's as well and was wondering who had them on a stock sport suspension and what there thoughts were.....
Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You recommend Sports over the FSDs?

Care to elaborate?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you want comfort as well as firm dampening when needed, the Koni FSDs...

are the only choice. They cost a lot more than a set of OEM sports shocks, but they will be the last set of shock you will buy for your Audi.

In order to restore the "new car" suspension feel, the various suspension bushings will need to be replaced with new parts, also, the lower ball joints, and the steering tie rod ends replaced. The upper suspension isolation mounting, may also need replacement if the original has any wear or if the rubber compound has become hardened over time.
The same functional parts on the rear suspension must be included in the scope of the project.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts
Default I'm thinking of the Koni FSDs. 77k on my OE shocks now. Do I have to change out my

springs too?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts
Default I'm thinking of the Koni FSDs. 77k on my OE shocks now. Do I have to change out my

OE springs or can those be left alone?

I assume no ride height difference.

Quick Reply: suspension ?