A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Stage 3+ APR kit problems ! need help !

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 3+ APR kit problems ! need help !

Hello, any help would be greatly appreciated. About 7 months ago my 2004 Audi a4 1.8T APR stage 3 hit a deer (I wasn't even driving :-( ! but since then it has been in two service repair shops unable to fix the problem (Thelen and Steves European Services in Michigan). Thelen dropped the ball badly while Steve's are still attempting and doing well fixing the problem. Here's the problem...

Apparently the car is getting too much air. The mass air flow sensor is freaking out when it gets over 270 grams of air? Apparently it should handle 80% hp or around 300+ grams of air. My check engine light and traction light comes on anytime I get on the vechicle. On two occasions that Steve's European Services could not duplicate my car would automatically shut down and flash the ECU sign (only at 80mph crusing). Has anyone else had this problem with thier APR stage 3 kit. I have all mods neccessary for it such as injectors, intercooler, etc...

Why does the check engine light and traction control light repeatidly come on or sometimes ECU light and shut down my vehcile! My insurance company has stopped all work on it and I would like to not take this to court! ANY HELP???
Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have to get codes with vagcom
Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default have you tried calling APR?

sounds like you may have damaged your maf in the collision but who knows? Tough call. APR may be able to help you troubleshoot with the logs you provide though. Any codes?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The problem isnt the APR kit...

the problem probably stems from the deer strike, and the damage it caused, and repair attempt.

Without fully seeing first hand, the damage, then being fully involved in the subsequent repair, its all one big guess...

There are tools available to aid it troubleshooting the problem, but IMO, it all points back to the deer strike, and the damage it caused.

You need to gain access to the DTC codes, and need to be able to data-log, so you need a VAG-COM, to communicate with your ECU.

Without, your simply reaching out in the dark, for a quess to come along, which may or may not fix the problems...

Who's doing the work? DIY? Shop?

If its a shop, these are the questions you should be asking the shop, since they are getting "paid" to troubleshoot and repair your Audi! ;o)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2nd, don't confuse the problem with it being stage 3+.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 AM

Default Re: The problem isnt the APR kit...

ya...its def not the kit, but the repair...its a load fault and they have direct contacts thru APR...I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem...continous check engine light and traction light with no real driving problems or a complete shutdown with ECU light....

we replaced nearly every sensor and the MAFS. we even changed the diveter valve and now looking to see if the ABS module is messing up....thanks for the help.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Almost sounds like the stock chip.

Is there any chance Thelen re-flashed the ECU and put the stock programing back on? It'd certainly freak out about too much air with the stage3 hardware on the car.

Rich L.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

You changed everything, but do you have a VAG-COM?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM

Default software and diag tool....insurance company refuses more work.

Yes, we have reflashed the ECU multiple times....vagcom? is that a diag tool? I am sure the repair shop has a daig tool. They are APR licensed dealer.

No other stage 3 a4 has had this problem. Major bummer. My insurance company has dropped 20k into this car and now they are stopping work. I may have to go after them in court. How can they release a car that doesn't work? LOL.

Plus the turbo kit really has nothing to do with it as pointed out before, practicly plug and play......
Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM

3+ here and not one problem. Runs better (not just faster) than it did when stock and 1+. Flawless!

Quick Reply: Stage 3+ APR kit problems ! need help !