A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Signs of serpentine wear? Lots of repairs

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signs of serpentine wear? Lots of repairs

I have a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T with 64,000 miles on it. I have owned it for almost three years. In that time, the following work has been done to it:

• Full rear brakes
• New timing belt
• Replaced all four ignition coils
• Front flex exhaust pipe and gasket replaced
• New oil pump sensor
• Replaced gas sensors and gasket cap, repaired purge valve
• Replaced fuel pump/sensor and water pump/tensioner/etc.
• Repaired valve cover gasket and cam seals
• Fixed the prop shaft seal
• New body control module and door window module
• Replaced passenger side airbag sensor
• New air filter
• Plus all other normal servicing (oil changes, cowl drains, cooling system flush, tire rotation, etc.)

I use an independent mechanic I trust after some nasty ripoff experiences at the dealership. Alas, I had to go to the dealer last week to have my remote replaced and reprogrammed and they gave me some suggested repairs – namely saying that my front brakes should be done as well as the serpentine belt. My questions: (1) how does one tell the serpentine is worn? Other than visual signs of wear, are there are any signs a driver would pick up on – noises, etc.? (2) is 64,000 miles a little too soon for serpentine belt? And (3) What else repair-wise may be coming my way?

Thank you for any input!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Regarding your serpentine, don't rely on visual signs. It should have been replaced when the timing belt was done, so how long ago was that? Also, was the water pump done at the same time?

Otherwise, looks like you have hit all the "normal" A4 stuff except for the coolant flange.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi there. The water pump was done at the same time with timing belt was done, about 13 months ago. I imagine when that work was done, perhaps the serpentine belt appeared to be in good condition and was not deemed necessary to replace? It's been a year and about 4,000 miles since that repair.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have the receipt, check it or call the shop that did it. If they replaced the water pump, I can't believe they wouldn't replace the serpentine belt becuase it has to come off to get to the timing belt / water pump. If you have question, do it yourself. It is about as easy as a DIY as there is; even more fun with your favorite male / female companion and a couple of your favorite cold beverages. Step by step; step 8 is the most satisfying:

1) Purchase belt from reputable online house like ECS for $25 to @30:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...rpentine_Belt/

2) Wait a few days and locate wrench in step 3
3) 17 mm crescent / socket wrench on tensionser, rotate clockwise and hold (see link below, step 2
4) Remove old belt
5) Install new belt; look at picture in step 2 if you suffer from short term memory lose like me...but then again, I'm old
6) Release crescent / socket wrench
7) High five companion
8) Drive-by dealer (but not after too many cold ones) and string as many expletives together regarding how much thieves they are; add bodily gestures as desired.
9) Go home and have a couple more cold ones and enjoy the evening.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...er-Pump-Change
Old 08-31-2010, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply and very funny step-by-step process. I don't trust myself to do the job alone, but luckily I have a good indy mechanic.

I checked my receipt for the belt work I had done a year ago -- it was the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, multi rib belt, and then the thermostat and water pump.

So, it appears the serpentine was not done.

I think it is probably best to get that done and out of the way before the winter and then cross my fingers nothing huge -- like the quattro -- goes next.

PS -- what the heck is a coolant flange??
Old 08-31-2010, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kellycan1
PS -- what the heck is a coolant flange??
Have a look-see here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=20593475
Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

iSN'T THE multi-rib belt the Serpentine belt in question??
Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah, thank you. Glad to see I have that to look forward to. Thanks very much for the info.

I guess it is back to the garage for me and hopefully this will be the last big repair for awhile. I think I've dropped $6,000-8,000 on repairs in three years. Yet I am still in love with the car and brand. So very sad.

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm with hdmyers that the "multi-rib" belt is the serpentine belt, so that should be good for a few years.

And obviously, the coolant flange is only if it starts leaking. Sounds like you are good to drive her for a while.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just called my mechanic and he said the multi rib is the serpentine. He said he doubts there is wear on it already, but will check anyway when I bring it in to have the front rotors/pads done. Neither of us trusts the dealer....

I once brought my car to the dealer to have a rim switched out from my spare and came to pick it up, paid for it and walked out to the car to see that they never did the work. They charged me and were letting me walk out, but the work was never done. That was when I decided never to go back. But last week I had to, because I needed my remote key worked on, and that is when they said they noticed I needed a new serpentine belt and front brakes, plus coolant flush (though I had that less than a year ago). They also called to say that the new remote worked perfectly except the trunk wouldn't open with the remote. They wanted to do a diagnostics test and then rewire the trunk. I said no to that. And wouldn't you know..I picked up the car and the trunk remote key works perfectly. So, not surprisingly, I am anti-dealer!

Quick Reply: Signs of serpentine wear? Lots of repairs