A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Regarding my DIY timing assy/water pump experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding my DIY timing assy/water pump experience

I posted a follow up to my original post (see old thread link below), but I am reposting it here for visibility. Thanks to 1/4 scale and diagnosticator for your help with this. Hopefully I'll be able to do some DIY guides to contribute in the future.

So two weekends ago I did my timing belt/water pump. Total cost was about $160 which was way better than the $1200+ I was quoted by european auto shops and the dealer. I would like to say that it is total crap the quality of the impeller on the water pump. Mine was cracked (and I'm sure many people have experienced the same).

Thanks to the tech articles I was I able to get this done no problem in about 5 hours. I did end up disconnecting the power steering cooler, flushing, and refilling the power steering fluid. Just filled her up and went from right lock to left lock while varying rpms up to 2500rpms and let all the air bleed out and all is well.

There are two things though that I noticed during the whole procedure. One is that the IC hoses had oil residue in them, especially the passenger side. Not sure if possibly there is a leak in the turbo. I was going to go for the SPP A-pillar boost gauge at some point, but wanted to know if this oil residue is normal, and is it possibly causing loss of pressure in the turbo. (Blown seals or something).

Also I did disconnect my headlights and now I am getting a CEL to check my headlights that looks like the headlight symbol with an exclamation point in the middle and an up/down arrow to the left of it. I don't have a manual but does this mean that my headlights are off calibration? They come on and work fine so I am not sure what the error is about.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1052181.phtml">Old Thread</a></li></ul>
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Regarding your headlights. Vag-Com reset should take care of that.

A little oil in the intake tract is ok. A well oiled machine
Old 08-09-2007, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default oil comes from puking out of the valve cover and crank case vents

Where its sucked into the intake, coating the internals and gunking up the valves (I vented mine)

You'll need to reset the codes for your headlights.. thats normal if you turned the key without them plugged in.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Thank you guys.

I was a little worried about the oil but it seems like everything is spooling fine and it makes sense where the oil comes from. I have a new laptop coming in 2 weeks so I'll have to spring on a Ross-Tech setup and clear that code. I guess it won't hurt to wait for the headlight CEL.

Thanks again!