A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Rear left fog light error message

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear left fog light error message

Hello, first post on this forum and I hope it'll be the fix I need as Audi themselves want to charge me alot.

The problem is I am getting an error message on the display saying that my rear left fog light isn't working, although I am lead to believe from various sites that there isnt a rear left fog light. What could the problem be?

Model: A4 2004

Cheers
Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 283 Likes on 229 Posts

For North America, the fog light would be on the left rear (driver's side).

Open the boot, look for a felt circle patch on the left edge of the felt trim. Remove that circle and unscrew the bolt to allow you to remove the rear tailight assembly. Open it up and check if the bulb is blown.

Shouldn't take more than 5-10 mins to complete all of that.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

x2; rear fog is in the left taillight. Additonal clarifying note; you will not find a rear fog in the right taillight assembly, so don't think it is "missing" a bulb. The rear fog is activated by turning the headlights on (rotate clockwise) and then pulling to the seond detent (first detent is front fogs).
Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi. You don't mention where you are from. Is it a LHD or RHD model?

I had the exact same message on a UK, RHD 2002 Audi A4. As you may know in the UK we only usually have a fog light on the rear right (drivers side) and the left bulb socket is empty. You can add a bulb on the left but most UK drivers do not and leave it empty.

I've never had a bulb in the right hand side and the right rear fog lamp has always worked well.

The other day the driver display suddenly popped up the message that the rear left fog lamp had blown! Very odd indeed since it hasn't got a bulb and has been happy like that.

I'm guessing it was some strange 'false positive' caused by a bug or short as when I next started the car the error went.

If anyone knows what would cause this I'd be interested to know. Do mainland European and North American Audi drivers with only a left rear fog bulb and no right bulb get false 'right rear lamp' errors too?
(or are they all fitted with bulbs on both sides as standard in those regions?).

Regards,

MJ

Originally Posted by dreamteam79
Hello, first post on this forum and I hope it'll be the fix I need as Audi themselves want to charge me alot.

The problem is I am getting an error message on the display saying that my rear left fog light isn't working, although I am lead to believe from various sites that there isnt a rear left fog light. What could the problem be?

Model: A4 2004

Cheers
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I am US and assume the poster is either US or Canadian.

Never heard of a phantom error like that. Maybe others have. Intermittent things like that are usually caused by some sort of water intrusion.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

New to Audi and Audi World, this is my first post. I have the same problem with the rear left fog lamp.

wondering if you have a red light in your door (rear outside jamb facing the rear on the door)? after changing all the taillights, which now work. I noticed i have a red entry light out passenger front works but not the drivers

I am wondering if this is the elusive rear left fog light?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After trying a couple of brand new bulbs, and found that there was corrosion on the positive terminal to the actual bulb. Cleaned it up and installed a new bulb, And... Bam! Bob's your uncle! left rear fog lamp works and no more dash light.