A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid

My steering wheel is feeling stiff when I turn it. I also makes a little noise too. Can anyone recommend power steering fluid? Can I order it online?
I have an 2002 v6 3.0. It has about 90k.

Thanks,

BTR
Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same issue here

Mine's done the same thing in cold weather for a couple of winters now (02 v6 with 85K) - finally had the dealer look at it and was told that the pump is getting weak. They topped off the fluid but issue still remained. Currently debating if the $1200 is worth it...
Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default On second thought...

Check this thread - a44me2 found something I'll be trying out this morning.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=steering
Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by borntorun
My steering wheel is feeling stiff when I turn it. I also makes a little noise too. Can anyone recommend power steering fluid? Can I order it online?

Thanks,

BTR
Please be aware that you MUST use the Audi-spec "green" power-steering fluid; the Audi power-steering system is tightly tailored to the Audi "green" power-steering fluid and the use of non-Audi power-steering fluid will likely trash the power-steering pump and the steering rack. Yes you can order the Audi power-steering fluid online; just check with the forum sponsors.

The usual sequence of power-steering repairs on the B6 A4 is:

* replace the power-steering fluid - often times, just replacing the power-steering fluid with a fresh fill of new fluid will restore nominal operation; NEVER mix some any other power-steering fluid into the Audi power-steering system

* replace the power-steering pump - if the power-steering noises increase or become persistent, the usual next step is to replace the power-steering pump (along with a fresh fill of new Audi "green" power-steering fluid). The Audi dealerships will usually try to convince you that you must install a new steering rack at the same time as a new power-steering pump, but that's not really the case

* replace the steering rack - finally, if a fresh fill of power-steering fluid and a new power-steering pump won't restore normal steering operation, you'll need to "bite the bullet" and replace the steering rack

We encountered the power-steering "groaning" during extremely cold weather with my wife's 2002 B6-platform A4 3.0L Quattro at about 100K miles on the odometer and the fresh fill of power-steering fluid quieted things down for about a year. At that point, we replaced the power-steering pump and the car's power-steering system has been perfect since that time.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This might solve the issue.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335243
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks,

BTR
this is the oem stuff: http://www.europaparts.com/pentosin-...2-1-liter.html
Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks,

BTR
http://www.europaparts.com/audi-genu...2-1-liter.html
Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This makes me currious of what the differences between cars likes and dislikes really are. I am an ase certified mech and so are many of my friends, one of whom is an audi/vw tech. When I asked him what fluids I could use in place of oem fluids he said mobil 1 or redline for anything except coolant and to only use oem there. I have switched all acceptable fluids and have no adverse effects in 10k+ miles. My car has 160k on it now. after the change from stock fluids I have less noises (powersteering) and improved shifting in the 6 speed. I also get about 1mpg better fuel economy. Time will tell if I have any issues but I thought I would report my experiance.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hamstang
This makes me currious of what the differences between cars likes and dislikes really are. I am an ase certified mech and so are many of my friends, one of whom is an audi/vw tech. When I asked him what fluids I could use in place of oem fluids he said mobil 1 or redline for anything except coolant and to only use oem there. I have switched all acceptable fluids and have no adverse effects in 10k+ miles. My car has 160k on it now. after the change from stock fluids I have less noises (powersteering) and improved shifting in the 6 speed. I also get about 1mpg better fuel economy. Time will tell if I have any issues but I thought I would report my experiance.
Should have added I am running mobil 1 synthetic atf for power steering fluid.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update - after confirming that the hose had a tight contact with the pump, I took it in to the dealership expecting to replace the pump, but they discovered that the hose itself was taking in air. Hose is being replaced, hopefully it'll be smooth steering from here on out.